Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 13:11   #31

Boat: Alubat Cigale 16 16.4mt
Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

Crazy!! I have 3 Leatherman Charge and 1 Wave. 1 on my belt 24/7 1 in Navstation and 1 at home. Wave is redundant now. Cheers D
Sextant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 13:22   #32

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Have gerber for general use on the boat...just bought so haven’t used it during the season yet...around the house it’s multi tool functionality is helpful..biggest issue is remembering where it is and that I own one...have syderco knives lanyard to life vests for easy access and multi tools aren’t needed there and are too bulky/heavy.
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 13:26   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I tried a multitool years ago. I found I preferred single use tools. I keep my "frequently used" tools in my nav station, so always close at hand. I am fascinated/impressed by the wide attraction so many of you have for these tools. Maybe I'll try one again.

...because they're cool, Stu... because they're cool.

Seriously, yes multitools are often at a premium price, and are sometimes inferior to the comparable lower-cost single-use tool. But a decent multitool, when you have nothing else, is pretty handy, and that's the main point.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:03   #34

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

the best is the Swiss Army multitool--because the tools LOCK, unlike most of the others, -making it a hell of a lot safer. It also has holes for clipping in a wrist or waist strap--which is a good thing when working on deck.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:09   #35

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Seriously, yes multitools are often at a premium price, and are sometimes inferior to the comparable lower-cost single-use tool. But a decent multitool, when you have nothing else, is pretty handy, and that's the main point.
That's what I really like, or value, about my Leatherman Charge; it's always at hand. I constantly run into jobs which I can immediately do by reaching for my Leatherman. It may not always be the best tool for the job, but it's the best tool at hand.

Oh, and because it's cool .
Old 02-02-2020, 14:12   #36

Get a tool that has a marlin spike (fid), you won't be sorry.
conchaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:13   #37

Boat: Adams 31 aft cockpit

My Leatherman Wave and leather pouch (birthday gift from the wife way back when) is about 22 years old now. Sees regular use. Not sure how/why it hasn't gone over the side yet - prolly my white-knuckle grip in combo with the short wrist lanyard attached.
It still looks and functions just like a new one, and no trace of rust.
Highly recommended!
mowerandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:29   #38

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
There's a Wave on my belt when I have my pants on. Together with a MF Tactical flash light and an epipen.

That said, pulling it out on deck is risky as there is no way to tie it to yourself.

So I have a Knife/Spike/Plier combo as described in #4 with a lanyard around my neck. Only pull the Wave out when I know dropping it will not make me lose it.
On my early Wave there is a small tab with a hole in it for attaching a lanyard. Just twist it so that it sticks out of the end and you're good to go. I'll have to take a look at my newer one to see if it has it too. Unfortunately AFAIK Leatherman didn't indicate versions, such as "Wave 2", so talking about capabilities can be confusing. My early Wave has a Philips screwdriver and several flat blades; my newer one has a socket that holds a Philips head (reversible to flat IIRC). There are other changes as well, so we aren't all talking about the same tool.

Contrary to some posts the knife blades can easily be opened with one hand. In one position the straight blade can be opened; rolling it 180° allows opening the serrated blade - wicked fast at cutting through rope. Still, I have a knife in a scabbard attached to my harness/PFD so that it is ready to use.

I keep the original Wave on the boat and use it frequently - it is often easier to just grab it than to get out the various tools. It is perfect for rope work BTW. The newer Wave with the optional bit set, extender, and some 1/4" drive metric sockets is in the car for general use and bike adjustments. It is good for working on most computers as well.

In the early days I broke a tip off of the straight blade. I decided to take it back and get it fixed (we are both in PDX). A few days later I got back the knife, with a newly-designed blade (stronger) and a newly designed Philips bit (more compatible with a range of sizes), and a note that said there had been some rust in the pivot and asking me to please lubricate their knife occasionally. That is great support. (Actually that may have been the original PST or the super PST - I have had them a long time.)

I agree with Oscar about carrying a flashlight as well. I carry a Trustfire Mini-02, which is small and bright, waterproof, made of stainless steel, and uses a Li-ion rechargeable battery. It has been discontinued and replaced with the Mini08 (new and just showing up). The Mini08 is the same but with an internal charger: unscrew the head and plug into the micro-USB socket to charge. For $20 there really is no competition.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:41   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Thanks for that excellent summary, much appreciated. Gee, different ends of the same country.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:50   #40

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I have a bunch by different manufacturers and they all sit in a drawer. They’re too much work and too slow to deploy.

The tool that gets the most use is the knife. In fact, I can’t open an Amazon box without a knife. Due to size I carry an assisted opening Kershaw Onion and I carry it everywhere, even though it’s now illegal in my state. Screw them. I can open it and close it with one hand. Half serrated blade. And they replace the springs for free.

Next is the screw driver. Two ratcheting units preloaded with Phillips and flat blade, with the other bits in the handle. These are in the silverware (top) drawer at the bottom of The companionway.

Third is the marlin spike. So I have a Meyrchin folding knife with marlin spike on a lanyard for racing and heavy weather sailing.

A fourth knife, an old Gerber folder half serrated with QD lanyard hangs on the binnacle 24/7/365. It isn’t pretty, but it’s big and always there and has taken the beating from weather.

All the other tools are in zippered canvas bags. I have a small multi tool in the truck, but to me they are useless on a boat. YMMV.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 14:53   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I tried a multitool years ago. I found I preferred single use tools. I keep my "frequently used" tools in my nav station, so always close at hand. I am fascinated/impressed by the wide attraction so many of you have for these tools. Maybe I'll try one again.
Generally I also prefer using the "real" tool and keep a small tool box with the basic stuff like screwdrivers, pliers, crescent wrenches, meter, etc that saves me from having to dig out the big boxes.

But, having a multitool in my pocket when doing stuff on deck comes in handy constantly. Even with my quicky tool box handy in the main cabin a multitool still saves me many trips below over the course of a day.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 16:47   #42

Boat: Montgomery 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
Both good deals; my current Leatherman is 15 years old and just fine - and I bought it used.
Not to start another 'religious' discussion, but the Leatherman (and my last Gerber WAY back) were U.S. made tools. A big deal for me.
But of course neither is a 'boat' knife, nor are folders as far as we're concerned.
Fixed-blade only as a boat/deck knife.
rmlarson1098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 17:10   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmlarson1098 View Post
... the Leatherman (and my last Gerber WAY back) were U.S. made tools.

Currently, I think you'll find that even though both Gerber and Leatherman claim "US made" for some of their tools, those can still contain up to 30% off-shored components like blades, and final assembly was in the US. And some of the budget items are now made entirely offshore.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 20:52   #44

Boat: C&C

Little Wing said it right -get a Myerchin which is a real sailor's boat knife and put a lanyard on it to attach to you. I use a piece of stretch cord so it doesn't have to be as long. When you have to cut a rope quickly in a situation this will definitely be reliable with it's locking blade. Or if to loosen a knot you'll have the marlin spike handy. Those pocket multi tools are just that, good enough to help you out in odd situations when you don't have one of your real full sized tools handy to help you. Get a sailor's knife with a locking blade that you can count on, never know when you'll have to cut a hand off-arrrrr.
wannacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 21:03   #45

Boat: Island Packet 40

I've had a Leatherman for a couple of decades, handy little gadget. I broke a blade years ago and emailed the local distributor informing them how I had caused the break and they sent me a replacement gratis. Said they appreciated the truth of the cause.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass