Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 21:39   #46

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
the best is the Swiss Army multitool--because the tools LOCK, unlike most of the others, -making it a hell of a lot safer. It also has holes for clipping in a wrist or waist strap--which is a good thing when working on deck.
Modern Leatherman Wave has the same. Original Wave did not lock but for many years now all tools on the Wave do lock and it has a kanyard eyelet.
Old 02-02-2020, 22:56   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
Modern Leatherman Wave has the same. Original Wave did not lock but for many years now all tools on the Wave do lock and it has a kanyard eyelet.
Yes the blade on the Wave locks but can be easily opened with one hand. Also takes a very sharp edge (sharp enough to shave) and holds it well through heavy use.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 23:19   #48

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2

Bought a Wave 20+ yrs ago for backpacking. Blades open with one hand.
2 knife blades, file and saw have locks on my model and lanyard eye. Never used the original leather holder but have worn out a few non brand nylon ones.

When it gets in the salt I give it a wash, dry and oil. Do that religiously and many things will last.

We also keep several rigging knives with marlin spikes.

Never regretted the brand name cost. Have since gifted several Leatherman products.

Best Regards
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:59   #49

Boat: Looking now. Proud AP sailer

Great discussion..have you checked out the leather man website? Droooool.

The original author of this thread should get a commission from leather man..
John_char is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:43   #50

In my opinion the original Leatherman PS4 was perfect. It was small, but not too small, and had no more than I needed. The leather pouch that came with it was the perfect holster keeping it secure, discrete and ever present.

Leatherman stopped making the PS4 in the mid nineties. The newer models have more tools but are bigger and bulkier and more expensive. If it is annoying to wear, I'm not likely to have it when I need it. I am also not a fan of nylon holsters.

I wish Leatherman could've talked into making a short run of their old flagship model, the PS4. I'd buy a case. Some for reserves, some for my friends, some for gifts.
StoneCrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 05:01   #51

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 1150

I have a Leatherman Wave and a Swiss Army (not Victorinox) multi-tool. I was a big fan of Swiss Army and still have one that is about 35 years old. It is still mostly good but opening the blades and tools has become challenging. And that is the problem with the multitool - hard to open, and definitely not a one hand operation. The Wave is about 15 years old and still opens perfectly. The blades stay sharp and the various devices work well. I wouldn't hesitate to spend the $$$ on another one.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:32   #52

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
The Leatherman Charge (my current choice) both locks and unlocks. Unlocking for the main blades is a one-handed affair, as is opening, so as I say, it makes for useful emergency knife.

This knife lacks a marlin spike, but my experience is that the needle-nose pliers are usually more helpful in dealing with nasty knots. I do keep a rigger's knife in the toolbox, but it rarely comes out.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:36   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
In my opinion the original Leatherman PS4 was perfect. It was small, but not too small, and had no more than I needed. The leather pouch that came with it was the perfect holster keeping it secure, discrete and ever present.

Leatherman stopped making the PS4 in the mid nineties. The newer models have more tools but are bigger and bulkier and more expensive. If it is annoying to wear, I'm not likely to have it when I need it. I am also not a fan of nylon holsters.

I wish Leatherman could've talked into making a short run of their old flagship model, the PS4. I'd buy a case. Some for reserves, some for my friends, some for gifts.
The original Leatherman model (yes I still have one of those too) has been reissued, but the price is stupid expensive. The PS4 (in 3 colours) is still in the current lineup.

When we were in Europe in 2008, I bought a Victorinox Skipper. I call it my Swiss Navy knife. The knife locks and is hella sharp, it has a sort-of marlinspike/shackle-dog, and some other useful Swiss multitool bits including the essential corkscrew, but the pliers are small and wussy.

I see now that they have issued the Skipper Pro, which seems more usefully "nautical", with a better one-hand-opening blade and a serious marlinspike.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 06:38   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post

Is the PS4 the same as a PS4 Squirt? If so, lots of them on eBay.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:43   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
This knife lacks a marlin spike, but my experience is that the needle-nose pliers are usually more helpful in dealing with nasty knots. I do keep a rigger's knife in the toolbox, but it rarely comes out.
Same here. Needle nose usually works as well if not better than a marlin spike for jammed knots, shackles, etc BUT if you do need a marlin spike you can use the tip of the pliers pretty well. Smaller shackle hole use just one tip.

Guess this is kind of like using a wrench for a hammer. Maybe not exactly the right tool for the job but it works.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:48   #56

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Same here. Needle nose usually works as well if not better than a marlin spike for jammed knots, shackles, etc BUT if you do need a marlin spike you can use the tip of the pliers pretty well. Smaller shackle hole use just one tip.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Guess this is kind of like using a wrench for a hammer. Maybe not exactly the right tool for the job but it works.
Doesn't everyone do this . Heck, I even use my Leatherman as a lightweight hammer on occasion . It's the tool always at hand.
Old 03-02-2020, 08:07   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Doesn't everyone do this . Heck, I even use my Leatherman as a lightweight hammer on occasion . It's the tool always at hand.
Well yes I think everyone does. You know of course the definition of a hammer? The closest thing at hand that isn't too fragile or easily breakable and preferably something that didn't cost a lot.

One short cut I do try to never use, pliers instead of a wrench or socket. Not saying I have never done it but sure does mung up the head of any bolt you do this to.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:32   #58
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Never wear your knife on a lanyard around your neck, unless you want to hang yourself.

My original Leatherman must be 35 years old and lives on my boat. No rust, actually, I only oil it once ever decade.

Herbertz of Germany makes a very nice automatic knive with half the blade serrated for cutting lines. Push the button, it opens with a solid clunk. Legal only for police and one-armed individuals. It lives with my Leatherman, the authorities have found it several times, but when I explain the "one hand for the ship" bit, I get to keep it...
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 11:21   #59

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 44

Years ago, I switched to Victorinox. I was told that the tempering is better and it just feels beefier in the hand IMO.
A la carte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 03:20   #60

Boat: Dufour 40 E, 12 m

For all who don't know what present to buy for a good friend, buy a Victorinox SwissTool X Plus Ratchet or Swiss Multi super X - Tool. You have various tools , knives, Scissors and more at hand, without changing your saloon into a workshop looking into various boxes and tool boxes. I like it
look
Sea Angel1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass