Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2020, 10:52   #61

Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

I had two Leathermens. Both evaporated after a couple of years. One disappeared after going through a Mexican traffic drug inspection stop. I have a cheap Chinese made multifunction tool for over twenty years. Cheap multi-tools seem to be very loyal, like Herpes.
Baba Buoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 12:17   #62
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baba Buoy View Post
... Cheap multi-tools seem to be very loyal, like Herpes.

I will have to take your word on that one!!!
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:44   #63

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
There's a Wave on my belt when I have my pants on. Together with a MF Tactical flash light and an epipen.

That said, pulling it out on deck is risky as there is no way to tie it to yourself.

So I have a Knife/Spike/Plier combo as described in #4 with a lanyard around my neck. Only pull the Wave out when I know dropping it will not make me lose it.
There *is* a (tiny) lanyard eye on the screwdriver side of the WAVE, but I agree about it not being a good option on rolling decks.

I am never without my Leatherman WAVE.

A lanyard-secured knife seems a good choice for a solo sailor, course once the blade is out, the lanyard could be seen as a liability.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:48   #64

I have several multi-tools, both Leatherman and Gerber. While they prove convenient when working electrical or light mechanical jobs my main reason for strapping on a knife is because I sail alone much of the time. The multi tools are difficult to open under stress and impossible to open with one hand and for that reason I now carry exclusively a Myerchin BF300 Captain. Easy one hand opening and stays razor sharp.
wing15601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:49   #65

Boat: Cal25 - Mark II

I have both a original configuration Leatherman multitool and s couple of Chinese knockoffs of the same. Have them all on my boat in salt water environment. Can't really tell the difference between them. Each tool, on each product (they do very slightly), work as designed. Can't say anything about later iterations of Leatherman brand multi tools.
MHTinkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 06:53   #66

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing15601 View Post
I have several multi-tools, both Leatherman and Gerber. While they prove convenient when working electrical or light mechanical jobs my main reason for strapping on a knife is because I sail alone much of the time. The multi tools are difficult to open under stress and impossible to open with one hand and for that reason I now carry exclusively a Myerchin BF300 Captain. Easy one hand opening and stays razor sharp.

As has been noted below, this is not true. There are models, such as the one I have (Leatherman Charge), which are designed for single-hand opening. It's can also be closed with one hand, even from the full lock position.
Old 10-02-2020, 07:01   #67

Hiya BK - I have owned a Gerber (not great quality) 4 or 5 Leathermans (continiously broke various and almost all parts on them - none survived) and finally about 15yrs ago found the Victorinox Multitool which I always carry, and use several times a day. For everything. Now on my 2nd one (gave my original one away) - the superior quality and workmanship make it a no brainer for me - won't touch another brand... Expensive initially but cheapest in the long run...
TomTomSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:03   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
There *is* a (tiny) lanyard eye on the screwdriver side of the WAVE, but I agree about it not being a good option on rolling decks.

I am never without my Leatherman WAVE.

A lanyard-secured knife seems a good choice for a solo sailor, course once the blade is out, the lanyard could be seen as a liability.
While looking at pictures of the various multitools mentioned (-droool-), a few had a short "wrist" lanyard, and that seemed to be a reasonable approach.

Many multitools are best suited for use in controlled, relatively calm situations. Often their main blade, and their shape make them awkward for use in panic situations. So we keep basic fixed-blade or one-hand knives in pouches on our PFDs. I usually have a string leash on that knife, that is tied to the PFD, but it's light enough to break if required.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:20   #69
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Angel1 View Post
For all who don't know what present to buy for a good friend, buy a Victorinox SwissTool X Plus Ratchet or Swiss Multi super X - Tool. You have various tools , knives, Scissors and more at hand, without changing your saloon into a workshop looking into various boxes and tool boxes. I like it
look
They are awesome!!

https://www.swissarmy.com/us/en/Prod...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 10-02-2020, 07:33   #70

Boat: Sea Ray 410 Sundancer - 44ft LOA

I am going to order the Myerchin, white bone. Either Captain or crew, depending on weight and length. I usually clip on pocket, so I don’t want anything too heavy.

Which one is best for cutting double braided line and Dyneema? Non-Serrated or Serrated?
Dani-lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:20   #71

Indeed they are gorgeous, and based on other reports here are very high quality. And I've always liked Victorinox for their Swiss Army knives, and my wife has several of their chef knives.

But I have to say, as a personal rule, that I don't go for multitools with separate detachable bits. To me the extra bits are just things to lose. When I reach in my pocket for a multitool, it should be complete and ready to use wih just a flip of a blade. If I'm going to pull out a set, I might as well just pull out a toolbox.

It's not a completely hard and fast rule; I have some nice small bike toolsets with detachable bits and drivers, but they live in a bike bag, not a pocket.

(I did warn y'all earlier that i was a multitool obsessive )
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:22   #72

Boat: Sold the boat. Buying a van.

As others have noted, the big advantage of a multi-tool is that you have it immediately at hand when you need it. Back when we had the boat, I kept a selection of the most commonly used tools in a small drawer just inside the companionway. However, I always carried a Leatherman on my belt. Often, while puttering about I would come on some small simple issue that could easily be dealt with using a pliers or screwdriver. Having the multi-tool on my belt made it easy to fix these things without a trip to get the regular tool. I never look at the multi-tool as a primary knife, rather it is a tool which also has a back up knife built in.

I own several Leathermans. My EDC is a Kick, a simple basic tool, now out of production. I also have a couple of Juice C2 tools, which are small and handy for light duty jobs. When I travel, one of the Juice C2 are in a small repair kit in my checked bag.

Awhile back while waiting in a dentist office I came across an interesting interview with Tim Leatherman. In that article he talks about the new models, and also the challenge of competition from cheap knock offs. Finally found the interview online here: How Tim Leatherman Created the Iconic American Multitool.
Quote:
"There’s a lot of knockoffs coming from China,” he says. “The price is about one-tenth of ours, but the quality is about one-twentieth. Nevertheless, the day is going to come when the price is 50 percent of ours but the quality is 80 percent. We’re trying to be proactive.”
Old 10-02-2020, 08:56   #73
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
I've had my Leatherman Wave since 1998. Used daily. Still in good shape.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:22   #74

Boat: Pacific SeaCraft Dana-24

The best tool, is the one in your pocket that you always carry. I think Leather, SOG, Gerber and Swiss Army make good tools. I have used two Leatherman in past, but had some rusting even when rinsed off after use. The locking mechanism is clunky for me on Leatherman compared to Swiss tool,. I was given a Myerchin Crew -perfect for EDC and I use the included Marlin Spike, no rust, one handed opening. I was also given the Swiss army brand, Swiss tool, that is my favorite w two blades instead of one blade +scissors. No rust. I decided to have one small Myerchin-paired w fire steel and Fenix EO5 as EDC in my pocket]. Then use the full sized Swiss tool, on my belt, when I need a robust tool. Its a little tricky to tether the swiss tool, but I tether any tool when on the water The Swiss tool, has a very elegant lock-unlock mechanism. Its a fine work of art and function.

Regardless, choose one, tether when over water, rinse after salt water, keep sharp, & lube moving parts w dri-lubes that don't attract dirt. We are fortunate to have good choices.
earlyviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:27   #75

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones

The surest way to start a lengthy heated discussion is to mention knives or flashlights.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass