Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 09:30   #76

Boat: Amel 41
Send a message via Yahoo to lo2jones
Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

There are so many different ways to use a marlin spike, that and a good, sharp blade are the best, with a tether of course. Keep a good pair of channel locks handing in the cockpit.
lo2jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:36   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
I absolutely cannot live without my Gerber. I wear it and use it daily. 👍
rayzickrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:54   #78

"The wrong tool for every job"
Having said that I carry a Wave with me all the time and it's really nice to have a quality multitool to take care of little jobs there and then. Plus they are guaranteed for life so if you break a piece, send it back, and they send you a brand new tool no questions asked.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:04   #79

Boat: Sigma 36

I had a Gerber for at least 30 years and found it brilliant. It lived in the car not the boat (I was into dinghies) for years. On the cruiser the right tool is usually nearby and the ‘multi tool’ is a simple Curry Lockspike knife on a lanyard.

My Gerber went when the car was broken into - it’s replacement Gerber lasted approximately 2 weeks before it took up sub aqua. Both losses broke my heart and the emotional and financial cost led me to replace them with a cheap knock off. Does same job at a fraction of the price but.........(OK I regret it’s lack of cred but am too pig headed to buy another Gerber ‘till I lose the current knock off!)
GBR134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:13   #80

Boat: Jeanneau 49DS

I am not a fan of Leatherman and I do not think that the quality is a patch on the Swiss Victorinox or Wenger tools.

I have used a Victorinox Swiss Tool for years on my boat. The tools are on the outside so that you can get at them without opening the knife. That is only required for the pliers. The blades lock in place which is a major safety factor. Despite the years of use they are sharp and there is no relevant wear.

When I cannot find something in the tool box to do a job I usually find that I might as well have just reached for the Swiss Tool.

Picture here; https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...vt=0&eim=1,2,6

Not that easy to find in some countries due to the locking blades but the summit of knife engineering.
Alita49DS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:27   #81

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
My opinion, not worth it.

Cabala sells a blister pack store brand multi for $6. Small, cheap enough to buy several.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13EF2E06-CB50-4911-B661-06B0403A422F.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	433.6 KB
ID:	208423  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:34   #82

I'd say the name brands are mostly worth it. I have an old Leatherman and two old Gerbers. None of them have a model number but I think I bought the Leatherman in the 1970s and Gerbers in the 80s. The Leatherman is smaller and easier to pocket carry. The only complaint I had with the Leatherman was the jaws hinge rusted too tight for comfort and took a lot of playing with to free it up. The Gerbers are larger and more robust. One of the Gerbers has a needle nose with a replaceable wire cutter on one jaw. The other has flat tipped jaws with non replaceable cutter and is shorter. All of them can be opened with one hand but I'm personally not likely to need this for coastal cruising anyway. If I had to choose one it would be the Gerber for the larger size and strength. I also have several cheap off brands but they aren't contenders. As far as serratged blades go I prefer them hands down over a regular blade.
BBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 10:58   #83

I have several on board but most often strap on my Leatherman Skeletool. Slim, lightweight, does most everything. Check out Spyderco's line of marine knives - they have a marlinspike knife that is stunning - https://www.spyderco.com/?s=marlinspike .
BlackBeardHarrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:40   #84

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I have a leatherman Wave, have had it for around three years or more, works well, I would recommend one as a light duty all around tool. I have a boat knife/marlin spike made by SOG for west marine,’it as well works nicely.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:46   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
My opinion, not worth it.

Cabala sells a blister pack store brand multi for $6. Small, cheap enough to buy several.
As part of my illness enthusiasm for multitools, I have bought (or inherited) some knockoffs. Yes they're often like 75% of the functionality at 10% of the price of the "names", but they usually have some notable deficiencies:
  • inferior steel
  • sloppy and inconsistent mechanics
  • poorly-shaped blades that don't keep an edge
  • my biggest peeve - mis-shaped and rounded edges on most tool blades. Their screwdrivers are usually pathetic
... but some are better than others. The knockoffs of the first Leatherman are usually not bad.

Do some selective grinding on the blades, and put a rough but serviceable edge on the blade, and the better knockoffs are worth tossing into the glovebox of each car, the bottom of every knapsack, the seatbag of every bike, that one catch-all drawer in your kitchen...

All that being said, the quality, finish and warranty of the big name multitools are arguably worth having. They are better tools. It's one area where even the average guy can own a "Porsche". And there's an undeniable attraction to having a reliable 'tool' companion that accompanies you for a decade or three of adventures. I have nearly 30 years on one Swiss Army knife that's always in my knapsack.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 11:58   #86
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
The Leatherman looks spiffy. BUT when things get ugly, you will have “one hand for the boat and one hand for you”, so you need something that can open with one hand.

I like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a knife, spike and pliers, all accessible with one hand. And at $30, if you lose it- it doesn’t hurt too much.
Looks like a great tool. Just ordered on Amazon. Thanks for the tip.
Cheers,
Capt Ken Middleton
Tradewind Charters
Honolulu, Hawaii
captken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 13:09   #87

I have a Gerber USA made Center Drive multi tool. It is very durable and has not rusted. It cost $99. There is a difference in quality between the Gerber USA made tools and their imports though some of the import knives are nice. Leatherman are also good but I am very happy with my Gerber. I like the way the screwdriver is centered and the pliers are useful and durable so far.
loneshark64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 19:48   #88

Boat: Hinterhoeller Nonsuch 26C, Niagara 35C

I have owned several Leatherman and Gerber multitools over the years and lost a few overboard, liked them at times and cursed them when the pliers pinched my fingers and when they got sticky and were hard to open. The ones with changeable screwdriver tips were useless especially when hanging in a bosun chair. The knife blades, especially serrated ones, were always good and easy to keep sharp on the Gerbers and Leathermans. My analysis now is that they are like toaster ovens - don't do anything well but can do anything with a bit of pain and patience. My current solution, which I like now, is a trad SS sailor's knife with spike and shackle key, and small Knipex sliding joint pliers, and a tiny ratcheting multi driver. I can easily carry the 7" pliers and palm driver in my pocket and my knife in a belt sheath leftover from lost multi-tools. Am working on a design for a combination belt sheath to handle all these tools. With lanyards. A Swiss Army knife with bottle opener and tweezers is also good to have in my pocket.With a diamond grip pocket sharpener at hand.
MistyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 21:37   #89

Boat: Valiant 40

Slightly off topic, but....if you live or travel near a TSA Suprplus Store, it's worth the time to browse the inventory for things like knives and multi tools. The one in Austin, Texas is a goldmine. It's the repository for all the Texas airports' confiscated items. Literally thousands of pounds month after month after month. My bf picked up some really nice Leatherman multi tools recently at a fraction of retail. Check em out...a great way to try a different multitool without the big investment.
LazyLadySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 22:32   #90

Quote:

I carry the Victorinox with me everywhere, have been for years. Can't be beat. Not knocking these knockoffs, but if you want real quality...
Auminer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass