Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 23:07   #91

Boat: Hunter 430
Send a message via Skype™ to Briggers
Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

I bought a Leatherman for a trip from Antigua to Alicante. We were bring a boat back for the owner. It was a wreck and the Leatherman came out more than once, each time it was covered in rust. I wasn’t impressed with the blade either, it just wouldn’t keep an edge.
I now use a Victorinox. No rust but the blade is just as bad so I keep a Buck knife clipped to my belt.
I’m looking forward to checking out the recommendations on here, thanks for posting.
Briggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 23:40   #92

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by theBigKahuna View Post
This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
I rather have dedicated tool for a particular job.
Used to have two Lethermans Wave
All these multitools are a bit of a skin pincher.
And yes LM are durable, they are not realy expdnsive...200$ or so.
But if you find them useful, go for it
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 17:20   #93

I currently have the leatherman wave, Gerber 400 compact sport -stainless. I have had the Gerber for about 10 years and the leatherman about 5. I also have 20 or more inexpensive ones. I have had a swiss but it broke the first time using pliers.
My Gerber handled the stress best out of all of them though the blades are broken. Pliers are still in use.
Bent my leatherman a little but still works good.
I don't have much feeling in my hands so yes I break my stuff. I also don't borrow tools if I can help it. 3 points for the leatherman like Gerber they stand behind there product. Leatherman bits are replaceable as you get a new blade and stick it in yourself. Then the real ”cool” point they have a Custom shop to add what you need.

https://www.leatherman.com/customshop.html

A dedicated tool is great but not handy if you don't have it or it's in ”there” not on you.
The best thing to do is go to where they are lots of choices and start handling them If it feels right in your hand your more likely to use it.
tazziboy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2020, 15:55   #94

Boat: Långedrag 43 ft (corten steel)

The best multitool is the multitool you have available when you need it

I've tried plenty of different multitool brands and models. You get what you pay for. Every cheap one get rusty after a few weeks of usage. What I use today is Leatherman. IMO they are the best. I once had a Leatherman from the early 90's, made with extraordinary quality and much better steel than todays' cheaper products. Unfortunately I lost this on a lobster-party where I used it to open the lobster shells. We got drunk and I forgot it on the table on the restaurant, and ofcourse the restaurant didnt know about it next morning :/ ! So after this my idea was to buy a cheaper Leatherman in case I would lose it again (lol). So I did and found this model called Rebel. Its quite nice, used it alot to repair and fix different things, both at work, on the boat, in the outdoors etc. Got most tools you need. Unfortunately I dropped it in the sea from the top of the mast one day when I was working on the vhf-atenna. Sh*t happens. Bought a new rebel straight after because I liked it so much. One very good thing with it is how much tools you get in Leatherman-quality for its' low price, so I can afford my obviously careless ownership
Old 12-04-2020, 15:48   #95

I know I'm late to this thread but Leatherman replaced my wave multitool when the pliers got difficult to open. Sent it in with a note and little hope of any resolution as it was 10 years old. I had forgotten all about it when a new one came in the mail.

The ability to open and close the blades on the wave one handed is awesome.
finnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 15:53   #96

Boat: no sail boat yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnegan View Post
I know I'm late to this thread but Leatherman replaced my wave multitool when the pliers got difficult to open. Sent it in with a note and little hope of any resolution as it was 10 years old. I had forgotten all about it when a new one came in the mail.

I completely agree. The wave is an amazing tool. I liked the older gen more than the new ones, mainly for the smaller screwdriver selections. But the external locking blades and the rounded plier handles make these way better than the competition.

I have broken 5 of them over the years, and when they get so bad half the tools are gone I send them in and the factory dutifully sends me brand new replacements.
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2020, 16:40   #97

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:

My wave pliers started to stick as well, I let them feel a little WD-40 love and they were back to proper operation in three days, good light duty tool many years of reliable use.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 15:16   #98
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:

Thanks for this, finnegan. Thus inspired, I sent my 20+ year old Leatherman Wave back to Burlington, Ontario about a month ago and just got a brand new Leatherman Wave+ back.

It is a very nice unit with some much improved tools. (Only downside, no lanyard attachment point.)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 15:17   #99

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Finnegan, thanks!!! I have a funny feeling I've got a Leatherman coming up on the horizon.
Old 11-05-2020, 15:42   #100

Boat: J/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuW View Post
Thanks for this, finnegan. Thus inspired, I sent my 20+ year old Leatherman Wave back to Burlington, Ontario about a month ago and just got a brand new Leatherman Wave+ back.

It is a very nice unit with some much improved tools. (Only downside, no lanyard attachment point.)
The lanyard attachment loop is there - you just have to look very closely and open it up. It's hidden under the "saw." It doesn't stick out all the time.

They also sell a completely separate "quick release" external loop, so you can quickly unclip from a lanyard. I bought this before I found the "hidden" loop on the Wave+. But it turns out that I didn't need it.

I have to admit, I never found the loop on my much older model, until the day I sent it in for repair (and they replaced it with a wave+ for free.)

I still have the even older original Leatherman (with a broken plier tip) in the Everything-Drawer on the boat. On a lanyard.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 16:37   #101
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddster8 View Post
The lanyard attachment loop is there - you just have to look very closely and open it up. It's hidden under the "saw." It doesn't stick out all the time.
They also sell a completely separate "quick release" external loop, so you can quickly unclip from a lanyard. I bought this before I found the "hidden" loop on the Wave+. But it turns out that I didn't need it.

I have to admit, I never found the loop on my much older model, until the day I sent it in for repair (and they replaced it with a wave+ for free.)

I still have the even older original Leatherman (with a broken plier tip) in the Everything-Drawer on the boat. On a lanyard.
Well, that is amazing! Hidden loop. Many thanks for that, toddster!
I leave the lanyard hanging out of my pocket at all times. So this is really useful to me. (I suppose I should have RTFM!)

The new tool has many improvements over the old one; all the handle surfaces have been subtly relieved; the screw drivers are in a hardened steel by the looks of it; the screw drivers, can opener and scissors lock; the scissors have a much more robust spring mechanism; the pliers jaws are replaceable.

(Great forum!)
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 16:41   #102

You can get a lanyard add on (also belt clip) for the wave. It clips in where you can't hardly see....totally cool.
Kerryf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass