Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2020, 06:36   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran
Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

This is hopefully NOT a religious discussion... I'm looking @ multi-tools and both Leatherman and Gerber make good tools. Is the Leatherman more durable; has more tool features etc that make it worth the extra cost?
theBigKahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:39   #2

Boat: Baba 35
Re: Is a Leatherman multi-tool worth the extra $$$

I have not used a Gerber but the Leatherman is real nice.
ttex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:48   #3

Get a Myerchin. Fantastic and what you need to have at hand for offshore:

www.myerchin.com

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:48   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

The Leatherman looks spiffy. BUT when things get ugly, you will have “one hand for the boat and one hand for you”, so you need something that can open with one hand.

I like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has a knife, spike and pliers, all accessible with one hand. And at $30, if you lose it- it doesn’t hurt too much.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:50   #5

I own several (it's almost an obsession). The choice of which one really comes down to what you want to do with it. The Leatherman WAVE is awesome; I don't have one but my friend does, and the little eyeglasses screwdriver it has helped save a cruise when I sat on my glasses and needed to effect some repairs.

But for daily carry while sailing/adventuring, I like the Gerber MP600 - everything is sturdy on it, good pliers, no small bits to lose. I also have a good basic sailing knife in a pouch on my PFD.

Actually, my minimum go-anywhere tool that sits in my knapsack is a 25 yr old Swiss Army knife ("Driver" or "Officer") with a couple of blades, two screwdrivers, bottle and can openers, and of course, a corkscrew.

I've also had decent luck with some knock-off multitools. At around $20, they are worth having several - one in the car, extras on the boat, kitchen drawer... and you weep less when they drop overboard.
Lake-Effect is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:02   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I've gone through a number of multi-tools over the years, although never a Gerber. My current one, and the one I've liked the best, is the Leatherman Charge.

It has a wide variety of tools, all smartly designed. PLUS, its two main blades can be accessed using one hand, so it doubles as an emergency blade on board.

It is a little bulkier than some, but better than other ones I've had. For me, it's been the sweet spot of functionality, durability and size.

Old 02-02-2020, 07:03   #7

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

I used to live in Arizona and carried a Gerber, which I liked. When I went sailing, the "hard" parts of the Gerber(mostly the pliers, but some other bits) immediately rusted - badly. I switched to a Leatherman Wave, which I've now worked my way through 3 of (one went overboard, one got swiped) and they didn't rust. I was just given a Leatherman Skeletool CX for Christmas, which I like because it's smaller & lighter than the Wave - time will tell. Btw, I wore out all of the nylon cases for the Wave and ended up with a nice leather one I found on Amazon. I carry my multitool every day - land or sea.

Hartley
S/V atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:10   #8

There's a Wave on my belt when I have my pants on. Together with a MF Tactical flash light and an epipen.

That said, pulling it out on deck is risky as there is no way to tie it to yourself.

So I have a Knife/Spike/Plier combo as described in #4 with a lanyard around my neck. Only pull the Wave out when I know dropping it will not make me lose it.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:38   #9

Boat: Tayana 48DS 48'

Hey, Oscar, I have a flashlight, too A Surefire "tactical" one with two CR123s in it. It has saved my butt more times than anything else I carry, especially as my eyes aren't as sharp as they once were.

But I don't use the multitool as a knife, at least not very often because multitool knife blades are usually NOT great knife steel and they're not easy to deploy - I keep a one-handed knife on me all the time, too (usually clipped in my pocket) If you want a religious discussion, ask about knives =8^O

Hartley
S/V Atsa
Hartleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 07:49   #10

Boat: Hunter 386

I carry a Leatherman skeletool on a lanyard...basic but light and so far has always had what I wanted. No rust and reasonable openable onehanded.

A question your you geeks out there: a lot of sailing knives/multitools have serrated blades but isn't keeping a serrated edge sharp a pain and requires special tools?
Old 02-02-2020, 07:55   #11

Boat: Cape Dory 31

I find the Wave is best so it stays on the boat. The Gerber stays in the car. Both are fine but the Leatherman is more sturdy in my opinion.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:30   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Both Leatherman and Gerber make a lot of different multi-tools, and your choice might differ (between them), depending upon the exact combination of features best suits your needs.

Leatherman vs Gerber – Battle of the Big Multi Tool Makers
https://outdoorsmantoolkit.com/leath...r-multi-tools/

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:43   #13
Marine Service Provider

The leatherman Crunch hard to find but worth every penny has a vice gip pliers which is a real tool. Nothing else is even close to the power of the crunch.
Russ Goedjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:44   #14

Boat: Leopard 44

I was a big leatherman fan for many years carried the variations of the juice daily
That said I have to say I think that the quality is not what it was (though the service remains excellent) I switched after a juice x6 fell apart in 6 months of use to a Gerber NXT for my daily carry and have 3 leathermans wave's/ wave + in my cars/ tool box as back up
o
Pir8te is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:20   #15

I got the "new" Leatherman Free P4 and it was okay while we were still in the marina, but not that we are out cruising, it has become a rust magnet.

Tags
grass