Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 10:27   #1

Boat: Tashiba-31
Is Caprail caulked?

I'm trying to find a leak that shows up each time it rains. The attached shows my cap rail. I was wondering if rain water might be wicking around the edge and leaking into the boat. Is this edge supposed to be caulked?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CapRail.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	214228  
dmksails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:50   #2

Re: Is Caprail caulked?

Kinda doubt it but anything is possible. Water into an teak cap butt end joint, runs down inside the hull deck joint until it drips?

BUT, I think those boats are fully glassed inside ...deck to hull.

I had a helluva time trying to find a cabin top leak in my Passport. (Same boatyard/builder I think) It only leaked if a long hard rain. Eventually I pulled the cabin liner down in a Florida downpour to trace it. It was apparently leaking in a turning block and running along the inside of the cabin roof to a drip point! Never was successful entirely in fixing it.
Finally a product called Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (basically liquid latex you squeeze into crevices) fixed it mostly. I sailed to the Caribe where it didn't rain much!
There's your answer! Sail out of Washington!

How bad does it leak?
Think about from where it might run inside the liners to a drip point that only appears to be the toe rail. Genoa Track?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:00   #3
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Bathtub
Re: Is Caprail caulked?

On our Hallberg-Rassy it is pretty well glassed on the inside but I have noticed gel-coat cracks on the hull that I think were caused by trapped water in the gunn'l expanding when the temps drop below freezing.

The previous owner had the cap rails re-done a few years before we bought and the "carpenter" he hired to do the work did an awful job, not scarfing the joints and the uncaulked wide seams must have let quite a bit of water in.
BlackHeron is offline   Reply With Quote