Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2020, 09:07   #16

Re: Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

... not sure where you are now ... Italy? At least here in the U.S. there are so many boats for sale ... I would not go too far to see ANY one unless it was exceptional for an exceptional reason (owner, history, some way unique). This one has potentially "deal-killer" damage ... I wouldn't take the time ... but that's an opinion
dbarrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 11:01   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Damage from grounding. Bolts laminated over hell knows in what condition, Etc.

Do not touch.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 11:56   #18

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Damage from grounding. Bolts laminated over hell knows in what condition, Etc.

Do not touch.

b.
Would you still say that if the boat was, say, $4000? And general condition was good otherwise, and engine, and sails, and basic electronics? Because I know I could repair that in about one week's part time work, faster if I hit it hard, and materials would be almost nothing.
Old 19-08-2020, 12:13   #19

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

To the original poster: This boat will suit somebody (maybe a boat breakers yard?). Only you can say if it would suit you. I would not buy it myself but if possibly interested I would want to know: who is selling the boat? The last owner or his insurance company because its a write off. Paying a yard to fix the boat is always possible but very very expensive. There is an accident report or survey somewhere - I would definitely want to see it. Without a credible honest explanation for its current condition, this boat is unsaleable as it is now, certainly for a 5 figure price in any currency. Are you looking to go sailing - or to get a boat for next to nothing & do all the repair work yourself?
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:18   #20

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Would you still say that if the boat was, say, $4000? And general condition was good otherwise, and engine, and sails, and basic electronics? Because I know I could repair that in about one week's part time work, faster if I hit it hard, and materials would be almost nothing.
The point is, it is not priced $4000, is it?

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:25   #21

Boat: 1982 Irwin 46 Ketch - Reduced Rig & Shoal Draft

Don't buy this boat. You can do better.
Sailing August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 12:38   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

The other thing I would say is that this is a cruising forum so the assumption is you want a boat for cruising, at least part time. The boat shown is a classic 'cruiser racer' wide stern, narrow entry, not much bow buoyancy, fast but twitchy. It would probably not do well in heavy weather and would need a lot of tending it would also probably be prone to bury the bow going to windward and broach hard and suddenly downwind. Would be great as a coastal weekender plus a bit of 'round the cans' racing which is what it is designed for.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:13   #23

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Like has been stated above, walk away, it’s not worth the money you’re gonna have to spend to make it whole...

Lots of other boats that don’t have cracked hulls out there, don’t buy a wreck, jmo.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 13:16   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Unless you are a magician and can work 20hrs a day for a year or more ... you cant fix that.
If you believe you can, you clearly have not done this kind of work before.
Old 19-08-2020, 13:46   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Unless you are a magician and can work 20hrs a day for a year or more ... you cant fix that.
If you believe you can, you clearly have not done this kind of work before.
Boatpoker, I'm not saying that this is a boat that the OP should buy. I'm just saying that for a low enough purchase price it is repairable and could be worth it.

What are you saying is needed?

I see nothing which indicated that the actual hull itself is broken. There are no surveyor's (or adjuster's) marks (or marks made by a potential fiberglass worker) except on the tabbing of the stringers and floors. We have nothing to indicate the keel itself or the keel boats are anything other than what you'd find in any boat of this type, this age.

So, I'd say that once you expose the structure then grind all the existing tabbing away and re-glass. Why is this 20hrs/day for a year?

Yes, I have done this type of work before, and also seen boats like this (fin keel) where the hull itself was shattered ahead of and behind the keel, also economically repaired and still in use after 20 years.
Old 19-08-2020, 13:48   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Did you happen to notice the big crack in the floor? It's in the last photo.
That is a rust stain.
Old 19-08-2020, 14:13   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by roland stockham View Post
The other thing I would say is that this is a cruising forum so the assumption is you want a boat for cruising, at least part time. The boat shown is a classic 'cruiser racer' wide stern, narrow entry, not much bow buoyancy, fast but twitchy. It would probably not do well in heavy weather and would need a lot of tending it would also probably be prone to bury the bow going to windward and broach hard and suddenly downwind. Would be great as a coastal weekender plus a bit of 'round the cans' racing which is what it is designed for.
I disagree with all of your statements about the handling characteristics of this boat. Having sailed many boats similar to this, and having one myself with thousands and thousands of sea miles on it, in all conditions, you are just plain wrong and are showing what I can only think is ill informed prejudice.

The bow of this boat is not fine; it will have plenty of buoyancy there. The stern is not as wide as is now common. I've never known a boat like this to be twitchy (I don't even know what that means). Going to windward, with the keel and general shape that we can see or deduce, this boat will be excellent to windward and will ride over waves rather than bury the bow. My boat, which has a similar shape (maybe narrower in the stern) has never broached down wind. EVER. Now, I have seen boats of this shape broach downwind, in high winds with big spinnakers flying, but with moderate sails, just does not happen. For one thing the keel rudder configuration makes the boat extremely responsive to rudder input. Does it need constant tending? No. With a wind vane it will sail forever with no tending. As far as heavy weather capabilities, it will sail any direction in almost any winds, given small enough sails and a confident skipper. If the storm is too great, it will heave to easily and safely.

These types of boats are marvelous and that is why you see so many in cruising fleets everywhere (though usually bigger than 33'). If I walk the docks here in Vallarta, which is a major North a American cruising destination, I see cruising boats like this, which have arrived on their own bottoms and are cruised several months every year, if not departing for the South Pacific, outnumbering any other type of boat 3:1 because they are really safe, fast, good sailing boats without bad habits, and people like them.

Where have you gotten your strange ideas?
Old 20-08-2020, 12:23   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsena View Post
Hi guys,
Thanks for the answers, I am considering on walking away from this boat, as the idea will be to do minor refits and not something that might take a couple of months or so.

I do see videos on refitting boats on youtube and "Sail life" is a 4 years project with the boat of his dreams, my idea is more to get something a bit cheap and in okish conditions in order to sail it and sell it in a year or two.

I will update my profile now with all the info i can.
Again thanks for the suggestions guys
I enjoy Mads, But do think he is a bit mad.
Four Years going on Five is Nuts
I think he likes the refitting more than sailing.
Don’t tune in much, once in awhile
just got to boring
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 13:11   #29

Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

Walk Away! In Europe there are hundreds of similar boats in way better conditions than this for the same or lower price. No point in buying a wreck. Buying a 30-40 year old boat will mean projects anyway even if it’s in top condition
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2020, 08:29   #30

Boat: Wauquiez Gladiateur, 33’

Consider that everything on a boat that requires repair takes longer than you think it will. Also, costs more than estimates. Only very rarely is it the other way around.
Whosails is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, hull, keel