Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2020, 08:48   #31

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

No way to know before you run a thorough hull survey, remove the keel and grind large areas for possible delamination as far as can be seen in the pics. - this will cost more than a good, undamaged boat of this size and age.

- meaning, don't waste your time.
Old 24-08-2020, 11:04   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Would you still say that if the boat was, say, $4000? And general condition was good otherwise, and engine, and sails, and basic electronics? Because I know I could repair that in about one week's part time work, faster if I hit it hard, and materials would be almost nothing.

Maybe. Lead keel? Engine looked over by mechanic? Nice sail inventory, not just working sails? Nice blocks, winches, and other hardware? Bronze portholes, cleats, chocks? Big, new batteries? Genset? Watermaker? Solar and charge controller? What I am getting at is if it could be scrapped for a small profit then you have an out, if repair turns out to be impractical. Don't forget the cost of disposing of all the fiberglass. And the value of your labor. Generally you would want the boat to be free or at most $1k-$2k for that, though.

Don't count on the repair being practical, without getting your own survey.

Honestly though, there are boats for sale cheap without issues like that one. I bought my Cal with I think 10 sails, lots of racing gear, non-starting but turning over Atomic that I later got running, for $2k. I bought my current boat, a Bruce Roberts 44 Offshore in fiberglass for $9.5k with 4 sails and a running 4-108. Both had solid hulls, good sticks, mainly wiring issues. We just sold our Halman 20 for $2500 ready to day sail in all respects. We just wanted to get out from under the slip lease and we don't really have room at the house to keep it on a trailer which we don't have anyway. Old folks stop sailing, people get other priorities and stop sailing, economic downturns, upgrade to bigger or newer or nicer boat, lots of reasons why someone might want to sell bad enough to price it to sell quick. Having cash on hand and an eye out for the good deal is the key.

I have said it before and I will say it again. Never fall in love with a boat until it is yours. I see a lot of first time buyers get fixated on one boat so badly that they really don't think about what a not so hot deal it is.

As for me, I would not want that boat even if it was free. I don't have time to mess with it and it needs a lot of messing with, I think.
Old 25-08-2020, 15:35   #33

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsena View Post
Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a boat online, as is a bit far away from where I'm living at the moment wanted to ask here if someone advice and know if is worth my time and $ to go and see it in person.

Boat: GRP 33 feet. 1988 build with a displacement of 10000 lb (aprox)
Price, is on auction in Europe, boat avg costs 15.000-20.000 USD

All the information the webpage provides is "hull damage" so it seems to have some neglected works?

Any suggestion on what can be(some spots are marked with black marker and an X ), costs or anything is welcome!!
Probably not, but if you're relatively close, it might not be a bad idea to go have a look just for the educational experience.

As others have noted, unless there are other attractions; extensive new (ish) sail inventory, engine, deck hardware, etc., the boat seems overpriced by about 2 - 4 times. There are lots of used boats out there.

That being said, from the pictures provided, I see no evidence for a 'hard grounding'.

In the drawing where you've circled 'damage' in red, I don't see any; perhaps someone was illustrating what might be considered a complete repair for the damage that is evident, located in the purple circle. If the damage in that circle was caused by a grounding, the extra floors (the transverse crossmembers) I've drawn in (yellow stripes) circled in green (located under the companionway steps, but unshown in your pictures) will also be cracked in the same places as the ones shown in the closeups in pictures 4, 5, 6 and 7; the cracked floors at the corners of the sink cabinet. (there are only 2 cracked floors evident in the pictures, 4 and 7 are the same and the one in the foreground in 5 and the magnified view in 6 are the same)

While I wouldn't say 'run', if you like the boat, and there are enough 'extras', it might be worthwhile, especially if the aft floors aren't cracked, at about half or less the price. You could certainly use what is shown as a powerful bargaining chip...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1cf.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	222018   Click image for larger version

Name:	2cf1.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	222020  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2cf2.jpg