Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2020, 09:48   #1

Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

Hello everyone,
I'm looking for a boat online, as is a bit far away from where I'm living at the moment wanted to ask here if someone advice and know if is worth my time and $ to go and see it in person.

Boat: GRP 33 feet. 1988 build with a displacement of 10000 lb (aprox)
Price, is on auction in Europe, boat avg costs 15.000-20.000 USD

All the information the webpage provides is "hull damage" so it seems to have some neglected works?

Damage marked in red circle (by me)

Keel

Interior

Any suggestion on what can be(some spots are marked with black marker and an X ), costs or anything is welcome!!
Gonsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 10:15   #2

Re: Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsena View Post

All the information the webpage provides is "hull damage" so it seems to have some neglected works?
"Hull damage" is NOT a result of neglect. That is unless it was 'neglecting to pay attention to a channel marker'.

My guess is this boat had a hard grounding. I'll further speculate that the circle areas with "x's" indicate delamination of some kind, such as around the tabbing, hull or stringers. My guess is this is where the surveyor found odd sounding (hollow) thuds when sounded with a rubber mallet.

I would honestly walk away.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 11:57   #3

Boat: CL52

For that vintage of boat there are PLENTY of inexpensive opportunities to be had that do not have the word damage associated with them. Go find a well found boat that is in the same price range or cheaper. Not worth it.
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:25   #4

Walk away. Shrew is right. Hard grounding bent the boat.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2020, 14:45   #5

Several Youtubers have repaired such problems, but the difference was that none paid more than $1000 for the boat in the first place. The only exception might be "Sail Life" in Denmark, I think he paid a good amount for a boat that needed everything imaginable repaired.... The price is too high. If it had been in pristine condition ready to go, that price may be OK but not for the amount of work needed. If you need that sort of work hired out, then dont even think about it.

You should fill out your location in your profile. I was offered a free sailboat in WI but do not have a place to keep it and it is smaller than what I really need and had a gas atomic motor meaning it would really need to be re-powered and that makes other boats which are a bit more expensive a better deal since they already have a later model diesel engine etc. There are marinas everywhere which have sailboats for which storage has not been paid that they are selling off. Some very cheaply.
Westcliffe01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 04:00   #6

Hi guys,
Thanks for the answers, I am considering on walking away from this boat, as the idea will be to do minor refits and not something that might take a couple of months or so.

I do see videos on refitting boats on youtube and "Sail life" is a 4 years project with the boat of his dreams, my idea is more to get something a bit cheap and in okish conditions in order to sail it and sell it in a year or two.

I will update my profile now with all the info i can.
Again thanks for the suggestions guys
Gonsena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 04:51   #7

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Now I love a good project but I'd walk away from this one as well, especially given how much they want for it.

There's plenty of other boats out there for similar money:

Seawolf 30 - £17k

Moody 30 - £13.5k

I'd keep looking personally!

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:00   #8

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonsena View Post
Hi guys,
Thanks for the answers, I am considering on walking away from this boat, as the idea will be to do minor refits and not something that might take a couple of months or so.

I do see videos on refitting boats on youtube and "Sail life" is a 4 years project with the boat of his dreams, my idea is more to get something a bit cheap and in okish conditions in order to sail it and sell it in a year or two.

I will update my profile now with all the info i can.
Again thanks for the suggestions guys
There are no minor refits on this boat. The repair is major. Sail this boat and you will not walk away, you'll swim away if lucky.

This is not in OKish condition as it experienced a hard grounding and there is likely other damage that is not yet visible.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:14   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

OK but I do not see any severe damages at all. If you want this boat I would consider to go in for a good surveyor and ask him if it is OK or not. The corrosion inside is from some incrorrect mounted screws in the mast and the "blisters"v on the keel are in fact no blisters but lack of maintainance of the antifouling. Not dramatic but has to be grinded down to the gelcoat. Maybe the gelcoat has to be repaired on some small parts too.

Look in detail at the joint between keel and hull and check the keel screws and roundabouts inside the boast for cracks.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:16   #10

Boat: 40' Leopard

RUN!!!!
rancher44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:26   #11

I would not walk away. I would run.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:32   #12

Boat: Westerly Konsort

If the circles and crosses were done by a surveyor, ask to see his report and talk to him. Overall I agree with other comments, it's hard to think of any price that would make this a bargain, especially as it not on your doorstep so don't have the local contacts to help solve problems.
Halam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:38   #13

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
OK but I do not see any severe damages at all. If you want this boat I would consider to go in for a good surveyor and ask him if it is OK or not. The corrosion inside is from some incrorrect mounted screws in the mast and the "blisters"v on the keel are in fact no blisters but lack of maintainance of the antifouling. Not dramatic but has to be grinded down to the gelcoat. Maybe the gelcoat has to be repaired on some small parts too.

Look in detail at the joint between keel and hull and check the keel screws and roundabouts inside the boast for cracks.
Did you happen to notice the big crack in the floor? It's in the last photo.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:41   #14
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is this boat worthy? keel and hull damage?

I've walked away from boats with fewer problems.. all we can see is a keel and bilge, whats the rest look like???
there's just to many decent boats out there in this price range to bother with the hassle this one will bring.. unless thats what your after..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:44   #15

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post

The most severe damage I see is in the last photo: the stringer appears to have been broken close to the corner of the cabinet. This means that the boat came down heavily on the keel and it deflected the hull, which explains all the "X" marks. Any such hull deflection would break the tabbing all around that area, which is how it is marked. Apparently the keel was repaired or suffered little damage itself, possibly a heavy drop onto a hard sand bottom could have caused such damage inside with little damage to the bottom of the keel.

The repairs are easily within the ability of a good DYI'er but it's only worth it if the price is quite low. But if and if you have to pay someone else to do it, it will be costly.

Tags
boat, hull, keel