Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2021, 06:12   #1

Is Trinidad still a good place for repairs/maintenance/haul out?

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide where to take my Discovery 55 to get her tuned up for our next year's adventure. It is currently located in the ABC. Our plan is to sail the Caribbean during the spring of 2022, and then sail to the Mediterranean for the summer.

The boat is is overall good conditions, but due to COVID I have not stepped aboard since January. I know it already needs some small repairs (e.g. main freezer and AC are not working) and I suppose I'll discover more stuff that needs work done.

I know Trinidad used to be a good place to have work done on sailboats, but my experience in this regard is >15 years out of date and I worry that things may have changed. Other options we are considering are Martinique, St. Maarten, Antigua, Puerto Rico or Dom Rep. Cartagena/Panama/Central America are out of the question for us.

Would appreciate any insight or advice.

Thanks!
doctorx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 00:31   #2

Boat: Flamingo 42
Re: Is Trinidad still a good place for repairs/maintenance/haul out?

Why leave the ABC? We are doing a major refit in Curacao, so far so good shipping cost from online store not that bad and you get your stuff in a few days.
svRaison d Etre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 01:31   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Is Trinidad still a good place for repairs/maintenance/haul out?

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, doctorx2.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
haul out, maintenance, repairs