Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2007, 09:12   #1

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
island girl wax

Anyone used the island girl 3 step system? They've got a good sales line, and I'm looking for somthing that isn't destructive (like compounding or wet sanding) and could prevent future oxidation. I'm also looking for something that lasts a long time with good results.
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 09:53   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
This is a long way from an analytical or objective question and it follows that the answers you get will be equally subjective. Proper preparation and application of quality products, regardless of who markets them, is the secret to success.
I tried it on our previous boat and it worked well but not sure an better than equivalent methods. A 3-step process is a 3-step process regardless of what you use:
clean, polish and wax.
If you do it with the proper tools and use any of a number of good products, the results seem equivalent to me. I would question how anyone knows definitively if this one is better than any other product.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 10:49   #3

Boat: st francis 44 mk II catamaran
The island girl is different in that you dissolve out the oxidized gelcoat, then use a filler agent and then finally a UV protectant sealant. Potentially it then would keep as much gelcoat as possible on your boat, sealing the microscopic pores rather than sanding them smooth. More to the point, it states that it also prevents future oxidation. Over the long haul it would seem like it would be better for your gelcoat.
Their product also seems a lot easier to use than taking a buffer and compounding out the old oxidized gelcoat and then using the buffer again and applying a hard paste. Did you find it easier to apply? If you've used things like fleetwax or Klasse did you find the esthetics as nice as those and did you found it lasted for a full year or only a few months?
schoonerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 13:48   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
More to the point, it states that it also prevents future oxidation.
I would have to see it to believe it. All gelcoat eventually oxidizes.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 15:45   #5

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by schoonerdog View Post
The island girl is different in that you dissolve out the oxidized gelcoat, then use a filler agent and then finally a UV protectant sealant. Potentially it then would keep as much gelcoat as possible on your boat, sealing the microscopic pores rather than sanding them smooth. More to the point, it states that it also prevents future oxidation. Over the long haul it would seem like it would be better for your gelcoat.
Their product also seems a lot easier to use than taking a buffer and compounding out the old oxidized gelcoat and then using the buffer again and applying a hard paste. Did you find it easier to apply? If you've used things like fleetwax or Klasse did you find the esthetics as nice as those and did you found it lasted for a full year or only a few months?
They use the term "dissolve" rather artfully. It doesn't dissolve but rather suspend oxidized gel particles which need to then be removed - kind of like simply removing the oxidation through traditional means. Filling the pores is analogous to sealing the gelcoat with wax after polishing it again as though you were doing it the traditional way.
As far as ease of application, that usually isn't a good indication of efficacy but in answer to your question, it was rather easy and appeared to maintain the shine for a year of New England exposure which again is typical of other products I've tried, the most notable in terms of longevity being Collinite paste wax after polishing with Imperial products.
Hope this helps.
For what it's worth, I choose to listen to the people who do clean and maintain boats for their living, none of whom recommended this product,.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2007, 21:39   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
I would have to see it to believe it. All gelcoat eventually oxidizes.
I would have to agree with David. Once the UV's have damaged the sheen on a gelcoat all polishing does is leave a wax surface that eventually dissipates again in a short time. Even buffing out a gelcoat is only good for short time. Filling all the micro pits would have to be with something that is as durable as the original gel itself.

What ever you use has to stand up to the UV's. Gelcoats originally have a high sheen and hard surface which reflects the UV's and the darker the colors the longer they'll last. Red and yellows are bad!

White works well because one can not see the damage, without a trained eye, that has occurred until it's almost too late or is too late.

The only real way to restore a gelcoat is to spray on a new layer but that's a LOT of work.

I have found that wiping on Penetrol® with a rag, on a well cleaned gelcoat, makes them look real good just as long as any wax will. And it slows down the oxidation process. The problem with wax is it scrapes off when washing off the settling dirt.
Old 05-08-2016, 07:49   #7

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982
Re: island girl wax

I have used island Girl some 10 years thru 2 boats first my Sabre heard about it thru there blog than i used it on my 38 ft morgan . great hull shine/ no work !
150 dollars of product does my 38 ft morgan 3 times. Al little goes a long way. wipe on no wipe off. . This is not junk poly glow at all !
I just heard the owner now 74 is about to retire i hope my supply never drys up .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0739-a.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	129028   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0739.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	430.0 KB
ID:	129029  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0774.jpg