Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2020, 12:01   #1

Boat: Island Packet 38 Cutter - Evergreen
Island Packet 27 & 29 Ballast Question

Hello:

I am interested in possibly purchasing either a IP27 or IP29.

I would like to find out if anyone knows if their lead ballast is encapsulated in concrete or resin???
I don't seem to be able to find the information anywhere.

Thank you very much
Evergreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 22:02   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Island Packet 27 & 29 Ballast Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergreen View Post
Hello:

I am interested in possibly purchasing either a IP27 or IP29.

I would like to find out if anyone knows if their lead ballast is encapsulated in concrete or resin???
I don't seem to be able to find the information anywhere.

Thank you very much

They use resin and mortar.

"First, the open space of the keel areais filled with ballast. Depending onthe Island Packet model, ballastmaterial is either lead, iron or acombination of the two. After theballast components have beencarefully weighed and placed into thekeel, gallons of catalyzed resin arepoured evenly over the ballast. Dueto its low viscosity the resin quicklyreaches the bottom of the keel to lockin the lower pieces. The remainder ofthe ballast is then encapsulated inmortar. Special vibrating probes areused to ensure the absence of airvoids, much like the way structuralmembers for bridges and buildingsare made. This simple and effectiveprocess has proven itself for decadesin thousands of yachts"

http://dicksimonyachts.com/Brochures...urBrochure.pdf
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2020, 23:03   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
They use resin and mortar.

"First, the open space of the keel areais filled with ballast. Depending onthe Island Packet model, ballastmaterial is either lead, iron or acombination of the two. After theballast components have beencarefully weighed and placed into thekeel, gallons of catalyzed resin arepoured evenly over the ballast. Dueto its low viscosity the resin quicklyreaches the bottom of the keel to lockin the lower pieces. The remainder ofthe ballast is then encapsulated inmortar. Special vibrating probes areused to ensure the absence of airvoids, much like the way structuralmembers for bridges and buildingsare made. This simple and effectiveprocess has proven itself for decadesin thousands of yachts"

http://dicksimonyachts.com/Brochures...urBrochure.pdf
That's some interesting info! For the OP, it would be useful for you to determine just which combination the boats of interest use. If there is iron as all or part of the ballast, the use of mortar becomes a possible issue. Any water intrusion can lead to rusting and eventual cracking of the mortar and even the encapsulation. If the ballast is lead, this isn't a worry.

Jim
Old 17-11-2020, 09:18   #4

Yes, the use of iron is a possible significant maintenance issue.

But the use of concrete is a major safety issue.

The primary reason that I posted this query was that when reading reviews of IP 27 & 29s I found two separate mentions of a couple of such IP vessels that grounded on rocks and consequently lost their ballast while the concrete encapsulating the balast was pulverised.

Since I only sail in areas where there are rocks I was very concerned and wanted to either verify or negate this possiblity.
I admit that I have run up on a few rocks with my Cape Dory and each time I was very shocked and humbled but I felt secure in the knowledge that I would not lose my ballast.

I believe I like the Island Packets but safety is my number one concern since I sail in out of the way places. So, that is the reason that I am looking for positive confirmation one way or the other.
Old 17-11-2020, 10:11   #5

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

My impression was the actual ballast was encapsulated in resin, the cement/ concrete was just to get the top of the ballast sloped as desired and cap up to a reachable level. Because of the foil shape the ballast volume is huge so 6K or so of cast iron not going to fill the space.

The CB version is lead ingots and steel shot, but we is so rare to be of little general interest. Newer models started using lead or lead/ iron combinations.

IP told me that the ballast material is not distributed evenly, but tends to be concentrated in the middle sections of the volume.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2020, 10:43   #6

Frankly:

Thank you for your response.

I was curious --- what does "CB" stand for?

Apparently if Coopec43 (see above) is correct, then not all the ballast is glassed in and --- " The remainder of the ballast is then encapsulated in mortar."
I can't imagine that this is a good place to cut costs.

I would like to find out specifically how IP did the 27s & 29s but there seems to be little information available.

Thanks again
Old 17-11-2020, 11:11   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

CB- Center Board (10" less draft in the case of the 32).

Not sure from a structural POV a lot of difference between pure poly resin and high strength motor. Probably more of a viscosity consideration.

Having owned Cbreeze for over 15 years (I consider it to be the best boat purchase of my 55 year boating career) , you are looking under the wrong rock.

Potential chain plate failure is real on the older boats. Old aluminum water tanks with chlorine induced corrosion. Neither of these are easy/ inexpensive to remedy.

Good Luck with your search

Don't think you will find the construction techniques on the models of interest to be different from that described. One hallmark of Bob Johnson's thinking, CONSISTENCY, if it works stick with it.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
island packet