Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2014, 23:05   #31

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Re: Jabsco Joker Valve

Here's my history with this head. I changed out the hose from the head to the storage tank about 5 years ago(bought the boat 7 years ago) when my wife could smell the odors. Used the white hose that is made for the system. It runs along the bottom of my forward storage locker and then goes vertical about 4 feet, and crosses the top of the tank. Total length is about 10 feet. I've looked to see if there is any way to shorten the run and there doesn't appear to be. I re-plumbed the system to fresh water about the same time, installing a back flow preventer in the line(so far so good).
In the beginning, it worked just fine and I got a decent use out of the valves but as time goes by, it gets less and less. In May, I checked the tanks vent and the hose to the vent and all was clear. When I flush, I can hear the material flowing into the tank so the line should be clear. Even though I am set up for fresh water, I still put in vinegar for what ever build up might occur and oil to keep the movable parts moving smoothly.
I typically pump the waste out of the bowl and then flip the switch to the left and fill the bowl with fresh water and then flip the switch to the right and pump it all our giving plenty of pumps to make sure everything is long gone. I've tried hard pumps and soft pump and still the problem comes back. Some times, after pumping out what came back back out, it stays out and some times it comes back again. In the end, I suck out what is left in the bowl(now mostly water after lots of fresh water pumps) and change out the valve. I've looked at the valves once they come out and I can just barely see light coming in but nothing like the Jabsco video shows and sometimes I don't see any light but I change out the valves any way. As I said in my earlier post, this valve lasted 3.5 months and about 6 uses before going bad. I'm just glad I came back from the US with 5 more valves. At this rate, they should last me til nest year.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2014, 04:25   #32
CLOD

Boat: none

How easy does the hose fit onto the discharge elbow with the joker valve? Does it have a smooth line-up or does it have a tight bend that would be pulling on the fitting?
Old 13-09-2014, 04:57   #33

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

First....if you want freshwater flush get it from the sink....keep a container to pour it into the toilet bowl. Any connection between your potable water and sewage is absolutely dangerous. Second...on my system I don't depend on a crappy joker valve, its there but I installed a ball valve down line of the joker. Its normally closed until its time to flush. I call it the anti stink valve. Works good, lasts forever. I have a raw sea water circuit that can be used but it contributes to stink. I normally don't use it. Last but not least any part of the system that contains sewage and cannot sink the boat has been replumbed with PVC. Zero problems with it. No permiation no leaks etc. I realize that boats that live on moorings in the northeast have winterization issues but I would still consider PVC, unless you like playing with hose.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 18:04   #34

The connection is just fine. Slight bend where it exits the head. The hose goes horizontal for a couple of feet and then goes up the side of the tank(about four feet) and across the top of the tank. No restrictions as I can hear the liquid go into the tank. I've put only liquid in the head for the last three months and the valve still fails. I've checked the air valve and the hose and both are open and breathing just fine.
Old 15-09-2014, 08:57   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

"The hose goes horizontal for a couple of feet and then goes up the side of the tank(about four feet) and across the top of the tank."

There is your problem. Joker valves are not designed to hold back four feet of head. You need to install a check valve. See my earlier posts. (#26 and #30)
Old 15-09-2014, 09:49   #36

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
............. Any suggestions(other than installing a Raritan head) would be appreciated. My Raritan has been using the same Joker Valve for four years non stop. What's with Jabsco's valves? I'm getting tired of subsidizing the company by buying the things 6 at a time.
Maybe you are not installing them correctly. I have a Jabsco head and have not had problems. I have never heard of problems with Jabsco valves before your complaint.

Or, as suggested by HopCar, the installation is faulty. You have a lot of sewage trying to get downhill and back into the head.

Quote:
I re-plumbed the system to fresh water about the same time, installing a back flow preventer in the line(so far so good).
That can make you very sick. You should never try to connect a head designed for seawater flushing to a potable water system. never. Cross connections between sewage and potable water can make you very, very sick.

Do as someone else suggested and draw water from the sink in a container and use it to flush or replace the head with one designed by the manufacturer to be connected to a potable water system.
Old 15-09-2014, 15:34   #37

When we first bought the boat and moved on board, the head worked just fine with me only changing out the valve every year or so. It's just in the last 18 months that it's gone crazy and the valves keep failing. I've not changed any of the hose routing during that time so length and the vertical of the hose shouldn't make any difference. If the valves aren't meant to hold back four feet of black water, maybe it's time to redesign the valves. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has such a rise in their hoses. Maybe redesign them to look more like Raritan. Since I put it in a week ago+, there has been no back water problem.
Old 15-09-2014, 15:49   #38

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestrezat View Post
............. If the valves aren't meant to hold back four feet of black water, maybe it's time to redesign the valves. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has such a rise in their hoses. Maybe redesign them to look more like Raritan. Since I put it in a week ago+, there has been no back water problem.
You'll have to send that suggestion to Jabsco, it's pointless to post it here.
Old 15-09-2014, 17:21   #39

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

You assume they know better than you. Its a commercial product..profit and just enough science, in that measure.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 17:45   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Since you're convinced that the problem is the joker valve, put in a Raritan or Groco joker valve. They'll both fit.
Old 21-10-2014, 06:50   #41

I'm happy to report that it's been about two months since I switched out my Jabsco joker valve for a Raritan and not a bit of black water has come back into my bowl. So, for all of you out there that have suffered the same problem I have, just switch out from one to another. I still have 7 Jabsco valves on board and will keep them for real emergency but doubt I'll ever need them.

Tags
jabsco