Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2009, 14:33   #1

Location: The boat and I are presently in Curacao, Netherlands Antilles; I spend summers in MN.
Boat: Brewer 46 Pilot House Cutter, s/v Lady Diane
Send a message via Skype™ to Lady Diane
Jabsco Water Puppy Repair?

My Jabsco water puppy pump works til it is shut off, then plug it in again, and it does not work. I think the impeller stops in a way that shuts it down. What can I do to make it run properly? Right now I am not in a place where I can buy a new impeller. Information is appreciated.
D.
Lady Diane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2009, 04:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
If pump is idle for extended periods, the impeller may stick to the pump body, preventing motor rotation and causing blown fuses/tripped breakers.
Remove end cover and impeller, clean body and impeller, then lubricate small amount of light grease (petroleum jelly) before re-assembly.

Low voltage can also prevent motor starting.

Flexible impeller pumps must NOT be run dry, as the pumped liquid is the lubricant/coolant for the impeller.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 05:39   #3

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
It is also possible that you have a burnt or dead spot on the motor commutator. Could you describe how you get the pump started again? If you meant that the pump just quit, open the housing and check for blockage...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 12:25   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
We have the same pump aboard our boat that we use to power the anchor chain and deck wash-down. I found that if the pump is allowed to sit unused for an extended period, the impellor chamber--being 2-3 inches above the water line in our case--will dry out and the impellor will sometimes stick. I remedied that by opening the impellor cover and lubricating the chamber. First with SailKote and, when that dried, with some glycerin based lubricant, and have since ensured I run the pump at least weekly.

I have also found that if we run the pump for an extended period the motor becomes quite hot and will shut itself off, although it will later restart and operate normally once its cooled. I suspect there may be a thermal cut-off in the pump motor although I have not found any stipulation of such a device in the manufacturer’s literature.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2009, 13:16   #5

Boat: Cascade
I have the same pump and have run hand dishwashing liquid into it several times. Maybe once a month..

"soft on your pump and washes more dishes too..."

Tags
jabsco