Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2018, 15:20   #1

Boat: Tartan 3800
Jammer applies epoxy to a canoe at 10x real time speed.

Ribs and planks patched earlier this year, now sealing the planks to provide a consistent substrate for the kevlar fabric.

Everyone needs a winter project that will fit through the basement doors. In this climate, anyway.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 16:16   #2

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Jammer applies epoxy to a canoe at 10x real time speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Ribs and planks patched earlier this year, now sealing the planks to provide a consistent substrate for the kevlar fabric.

Everyone needs a winter project that will fit through the basement doors. In this climate, anyway.
Why didn't you re-cover it with canvas or better yet Dacron? It will gain weight with the epoxy. Plus it will be less flexible and more prone to breakage on rock impact.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 19:38   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Jammer applies epoxy to a canoe at 10x real time speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
Why didn't you re-cover it with canvas or better yet Dacron? It will gain weight with the epoxy. Plus it will be less flexible and more prone to breakage on rock impact.
Dacron is an alternative I had never heard of.

I was skeptical of canvas because after reading as much as I could find, I was unconvinced I could achieve the same durability as the original canvas. The 1950s era filling and bedding compounds used a good measure of white lead. The updated yet traditional canvassing strategy is to use treated canvas with filling and bedding compounds that lack the original lead but are otherwise similar. Since my goals are to actually use the boat, rather than make a museum piece, this seemed like an unwise venture into unexplored territory.

I will not be doing any serious whitewater canoeing and have had good experiences with kevlar canoes. I'm keeping the coating thicknesses down to the minimum and am using a lightweight fabric. I believe the overall weight will be about the same or perhaps a little less than the original canvas and alkyd filler. I cannot imagine that the strength will be a problem.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epoxy