Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2023, 10:40   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS
Jeanneau 45 refrigerator top/lid

Hello friends!

We recently discovered why our refrigerator was not cooling properly. The top lid is slightly warped on the right side, close to the stove. I measured the temp around the top lid and sure enough, we are loosing cool air on that side. Tried to seal the gap with gasket tape but it din't make much difference. So, we decided to contact Jeanneau for a replacement part. Apparently, Jeanneau does not stock parts for discontinued models. 2008 45DS is too old in their opinion.
Anyway, the boat is Georgia and I am trying to find a Corian dealer to manufacture this piece for us but, everybody I called told me they only have 1 inch or thicker slabs. The countertop on the boat is 13mm. Any suggestions on a Corian fabricator that can help?
Thank you for all the help.
CapPisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 07:39   #2

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i
Re: Jeanneau 45 refrigerator top/lid

Hi, just joined, if you get a match in material you can mill the hight down a couple of ways. 1 You can router the edges to get the hight you are looking for put the raised section down.

This is the easiest way I can think of, does this make sense to you?

2 have the whole otherwise perfect piece power plained to the desired thickness, this will give you the most consistent thickness reduction.

3 you can use a hand power plainer and shave off the down facing side then sand to finish.
Time consuming and you will have varying depths and you should route the edges that meet/fit into the counter so that you know it’s a constant depth.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 08:03   #3

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapPisi View Post
Hello friends!

We recently discovered why our refrigerator was not cooling properly. The top lid is slightly warped on the right side, close to the stove. I measured the temp around the top lid and sure enough, we are loosing cool air on that side. The countertop on the boat is 13mm.
Thank you for all the help.
Are you sure that the lid is warped, or maybe the lid IS flat and the counter top is not?
Is there no insulation on the underside of the top of the box?
Is there no insulation under the Corian lid?
Corian is useless as an insulator.
Is the cut-out for the stove lined with stainless steel so as to reflect some of the heat away from the adjacent ice box?
Old 11-02-2023, 12:51   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 45DS

Hi Bowdrie, Yes, the lid is warped. I checked with a straight edge and is the only side that is not flat. There is an insulation box on the underside but is not all the way to the edges so, if there is any gap, the cold air will escape.
You gave me an idea about adding stainless to the inside walls around the stove. This will be an improvement for the oven performance as well.
I still have to find a top replacement solution.

Kd9truck, first option you are describing might just do the trick. I'll talk to one of the fabricators and ask if they can do this. In the long run it might even help with isolation factor.
Thank you for the ideas! I'll keep you posted.
CapPisi is offline   Reply With Quote