Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 10:29   #1

Boat: Tayana 37 PH
Just got my first boat in San Carlos, Mexico - need your advise on repair

Dear Sailors,
Just bought beautiful Tayana 37 PH in San Carlos Mexico.
There are few things need my attention.
Since the boat in Mexico and local material and workforce can be hit and miss,
I would like to ask you to give me your input on materials ( I can bring from USA) and how to use them for following issues (see pictures)
1. Repair Cracked Filler Around Rudder Pintles and Gudgeons (haul side - not rudder).
2. Bowsprit paint. Ideally I need to remove it, sand paint out and apply a few coats of penetrating epoxy - will do it in a few months after sailing season is over.. My short term plan is remove SS pulpit and leave all rigging in place, sand and repaint.
3. Haul scratch (1/2 feet by 1 feet). May I get away without repaint? Just wet sand and polish?
Many thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200813_114024401.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	223213   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200810_101645841.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	416.3 KB
ID:	223214  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200824_095014.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	378.8 KB
ID:	223215  
Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Just got my first boat in San Carlos, Mexico - need your advise on repair

That crack at the rudder may be structural, not just gelcoat, from the rudder going bang against something that didn't want to move. Recommend you sand down far enough to see any damage, and then build it up again as needed.

Plenty of choices on the paint. Sounds like a plan.

You may need some REALLY fine sandpaper to make that scrape look right. Try an automobile parts store for scratch removal paper. Then consider waxing it.
Old 11-09-2020, 11:47   #3

Hull (noun)

the main body of a ship or other vessel, including the bottom, sides, and deck but not the masts, superstructure, rigging, engines, and other fittings.

-----------------------------------------------

Haul (verb)
(of a person) pull or drag with effort or force.

(of a vehicle) pull (an attached trailer or load) behind it.

NAUTICAL
(especially of a sailing ship) make an abrupt change of course.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Hull (noun)
the main body of a ship or other vessel, including the bottom, sides, and deck but not the masts, superstructure, rigging, engines, and other fittings.

-----------------------------------------------
Haul (verb)
(of a person) pull or drag with effort or force.
(of a vehicle) pull (an attached trailer or load) behind it.
NAUTICAL
(especially of a sailing ship) make an abrupt change of course.
Thanks for that, Shrew! I was wondering what he was talking about. I was gullible enough to think to myself, "geez, I never heard of one side or the other of a rudder referred to as the "haul" side. I wonder where that term came from..."

Yep. That's me. Totally gullible.

As far as the rudder, I'm with tkeithlu. That crack looks structural. Be careful.

Congrats on the boat, though! Tayanas are lovely.

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 14:58   #5

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I suspect the crack on the hull side is not structural. I believe, and don't quote me on this, that that is just filler over the gudgeon embedded in the keel there. I'd ask the Tayana owners how that gudgeon is mounted there. (Hear that Tayana owners?) I'd probably dig out the filler to have a look.
That is not a lot of work needed for your new boat! Congratulations, yer in for a lot fun now! I mean seriously, not being sarcastic here
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 15:06   #6

Don, I am trying to be careful not to quote my surveyor.. he said it is not structural. Some Tyana owner's group members said they not even cover them with filler. No way to know for sure until you remove it. Just trying to get prepared for the worst case scenario.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:18   #7

Boat: 82' Catalina 30 Mark 1

If you need help with your repairs, or need advice, there is only one crew down there l would use. They mostly work out of the Quaymas Fonitor yard.

Poncho Apaoceo
622 149 0777

Or go down there and ask for either Poncho or Pepe.

I would put their knowledge, honesty, and work against any other folks down there.

I sold my 34 Pacific Seacraft and left Mexico in March.
darrelweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:25   #8

Thank you, Darrel,
It is very helpful. Workforce there hit and miss.. Mostly miss.
I remember your boat. I think she was sold relatively fast 6-8 moths ago.
Old 12-09-2020, 09:51   #9

Congrats on the Tayana! You should have a great time down there.
The hull scratch looks like paint from another object that scraped it. Will likely come right off.
Just sand that bowsprit a bit and put good paint on it. It appears sealed well already from what I see. If you epoxy it be sure to paint over with multiple coats.

You need to grind that rudder and see whats really going on. If just fill is needed use epoxy with a filler as necessary. If very deep consider doing glass work then final smoothing with filler.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 09:59   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Congrats on the Tayana! You should have a great time down there.
The hull scratch looks like paint from another object that scraped it. Will likely come right off.
Just sand that bowsprit a bit and put good paint on it. It appears sealed well already from what I see. If you epoxy it be sure to paint over with multiple coats.

You need to grind that rudder and see whats really going on. If just fill is needed use epoxy with a filler as necessary. If very deep consider doing glass work then final smoothing with filler.
Thanks!
"good paint" - two part paint? or any paint used for deck paint?
Something like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TUNJRN4...v_ov_lig_dp_it
"just fill is needed use epoxy with a filler as necessary" - barrier coat on top of it? something like this one?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01729KQ32...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 12-09-2020, 11:01   #11

Boat: Norseman 447

Boat repairs in Latin America are always hit-or-miss. Why?

It’s often difficult or expensive to get the right materials. Shipping, customs. Owner doesn’t want to wait three months for the job.

Many times the local boat owners don’t know or don’t care if a job is done right, just that it was quick and cheap. Workers respond accordingly.

These two factors alone produce a get-it-fixed now, one-way-or-another attitude.

That’s a superb attitude if I’m trapped in an isolated anchorage 12 hours by panga from the nearest supplier of a bolt. But much less so if I’m trying to get my half-million dollar boat ready to cross to Polynesia.

Another problem is that the locals are very often unwilling to say "I don’t know." Once, in Quito, I and my Columbian girlfriend asked 14 people where the post office was. 13 quite confidently gave us the wrong directions.

Just like anywhere else, you can’t just trust that your hired worker is going to know the right answer or be willing/able to do the job to your satisfaction.

The San Carlos yard hauled my boat in 2007. They tried to fix ground out blisters with chopped strand mat and epoxy. I caught them before it all set up, thankfully.

My last haulout, I stripped all the bottom paint off. When I asked about a barrier coat, it was "Sure, we will put on one coat of epoxy. It took me arguing for the better part of two days to get them to move the stands so that they could get all parts of the hull with all the paint.

I was always there before any of the workers in the morning, was the last to leave at night. If they were working, I was watching. When it rained, I was huddled under the boat too. The yard boss said he’d never seen an owner do that before. They all ultimately did a good job, but it might have been very different if I’d only showed up for the haulout and the splash.
Bycrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:06   #12

Hi Ruso, Just wondering how you are traveling to San Carlos? I also live in Arizona, and have heard only essential travel is allowed south of the border.
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 11:23   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsailor View Post
Hi Ruso, Just wondering how you are traveling to San Carlos? I also live in Arizona, and have heard only essential travel is allowed south of the border.
Not a big deal. Going south nobody cares - I opened 6 months visa right on Mariposa crossing - no questions asked. Going north... If you USA citizen nobody going to detain you at the border. You might get lectured by customs agent. Your story is up to you. Pick your travel date wisely - weekday, middle of the day.
Ohhh.. Your story might remain on file with customs - keep it in mind.
Old 12-09-2020, 13:05   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruso View Post
Not a big deal. Going south nobody cares - I opened 6 months visa right on Mariposa crossing - no questions asked. Going north... If you USA citizen nobody going to detain you at the border. You might get lectured by customs agent. Your story is up to you. Pick your travel date wisely - weekday, middle of the day.
Ohhh.. Your story might remain on file with customs - keep it in mind.

Good to know. Thanks.

sending PM
desertsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2020, 02:35   #15

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello,
The Boatyard in San-Carlos has workers that know how, also allow workers from outside the boatyard. Was there in 2014-2017 very good experience.
If you bought your SV in Mexico, I hope you managed well the TIP (Temporal importation permit) question. If not you will get into problems with customs.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Mexico, san carlos