Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2024, 15:21   #31

Boat: 2000 Catalina 470 #058
Re: Just say NO to Prop Speed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
Propspeed isn't even comparable to the cheap stuff. Honestly, it works pretty amazing and you should get 18 months from it *IF* it is applied correctly and *IF* you do not over protect your prop.

Propspeed is a silicone based product that growth doesn't adhere to. But it is also somewhat soft. Hard scrubbing will shorten the life. But when it is working, you don't even clean it. Any growth will fly off as soon as the prob goes into gear.

People that suggest rattle can zinc based galvanizing spray don't understand what propspeed is or why it works. A zinc based spray will be no different at all from a spray enamel. The enamel might even be slightly better because of the glossy finish. At least for a week or so.
I know what propspeed is and what it costs and I also know that what I do works for much less. It isn’t that propspeed doesn’t work. It is that you don’t need to spend that much for a decent solution.
Old 27-04-2024, 22:49   #32

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drinky Crow View Post
Thanks after further research teh $7 cheap stuff it is.

"teh"? What is that supposed to mean? Does anybody know?

If you can't spell use the spell-checker (it is not hadr)
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2024, 23:34   #33

Boat: C&C 27 Mk V

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
"teh"? What is that supposed to mean? Does anybody know?
prolly a typo, eh?
Old 28-04-2024, 04:33   #34

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by patja View Post
I'm on my first round with Prop Speed having just had the yard professionals apply it in October. For the price it better work like magic. $400 materials and $1,000 to prep and apply. If there is a next time I will DIY it.
You have been seriously and insanely gouged. My local yard would apply it for AU$90 each time and it lasted 18 months without problems. That was on a big bronze prop for a 90HP engine too, so a lot of area. Ok, this was the price about five years ago (since then I’ve been experimenting with home brew propspeed) but inflation hasn’t been all that high.

I used to clean up the prop for them, took me about 15 to 20 minutes with the angle grinder and a wire brush fitting. How THAT is worth $1000 (AU or US) I really don’t know.

Time for a new yard I suggest.
Old 28-04-2024, 04:46   #35

Boat: Tartan 40

I use the rustoleum over coated by bottom paint. Not that tough to dive on it from time to time to knock off the few barnacles. Used to use the expensive Petit version and didn’t see a difference, plus the can would tend to lose pressure so couldn’t use it the following season- fail!
I bet prop speed is awesome. Prop speed doesn’t clean the rest of the bottom so I’d rather spend on the diver who comes and does my entire bottom and prop periodically during the summer.
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 04:52   #36

My experience with Prop Speed is mixed:

In an area with minimal hard growth (Lake Pontchartrain) it works fine, as long as you use your boat frequently.
In an area with fast hard growth (Mississippi coast) the barnacles overwhelm Prop Speed within 6 months, even with frequent use of the boat.

Galvanize spray paint is probably just as good for 6 months. For less than $20 total, what the heck?

To buy Prop Speed and have a boatyard apply it, you are looking at least $800. More if you have 2 props, exposed struts, etc.

A diver is about $100 per month. This is about the same $ as Prop Speed for a year (or cheaper). Works much better.
neworleansrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 07:40   #37
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by neworleansrich View Post
In an area with minimal hard growth (Lake Pontchartrain) it works fine, as long as you use your boat frequently.
In an area with fast hard growth (Mississippi coast) the barnacles overwhelm Prop Speed within 6 months, even with frequent use of the boat.
Your expectations are unrealistic. Unlike anti fouling paint, Propspeed is a foul-release coating. It has no biocide and is not designed to prevent the growth of anything, including barnacles. Like anti fouling paint, it requires regular cleaning. Certainly, left unmolested, barnacles can attach and grow. They are easily removed however, which is not the case with most other coating types.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 07:44   #38
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I use the rustoleum over coated by bottom paint.
If you've overcoated the zinc product, how does it provide any protection? Are you under the impression that the zinc in it is somehow finding its way to the boundary layer between the water and the anti fouling paint's surface? I assure you that is not the case.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 11:14   #39

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If you've overcoated the zinc product, how does it provide any protection? Are you under the impression that the zinc in it is somehow finding its way to the boundary layer between the water and the anti fouling paint's surface? I assure you that is not the case.
I think it's just acting as a primer in that use.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 13:53   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Your expectations are unrealistic. Unlike anti fouling paint, Propspeed is a foul-release coating. It has no biocide and is not designed to prevent the growth of anything, including barnacles. Like anti fouling paint, it requires regular cleaning. Certainly, left unmolested, barnacles can attach and grow. They are easily removed however, which is not the case with most other coating types.
I wish I could post videos. This screen grab shows exactly what fdtbttms states - growth may attach but is easily removed. This prop sat without moving for at least 6-months and was towed to the yard so was never started. Waters are the harbor of Ensenada in October so probably in mid to upper 60s (F)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240428_164908_WhatsApp.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	289324  
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2024, 21:40   #41

Boat in the water from mid May to late October. Been using Walmart bought cold zinc fence spray for about 6-7 years. Works well, no issues so far. Used pricey WM can once. Can't say that there was any difference.

Most of the old salts in my winter boat yard are on to fence zinc spray as well. The Grey Poupon crowd would have none of that of course. But they're a rare bird there as this is a working men boat yard and marina.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2024, 22:48   #42

Has anyone mentioned (I don't think anyone has?) What's the verdict?

What is the best paint for a propeller?

One of the most effective and economical foul-release coating brands is PropGlide®, which is highly effective and costs 40% less compared to competitive brands like *Propspeed®. Epoxy Coatings: Epoxy coatings can provide a protective barrier against corrosion and help maintain the integrity of your propeller's metal.'

AND

I know VYV-Cox thru another forum and he posts.

"Not applied underwater of course but Hammerite primer and Velox continue to be very successful for me. Now in fourth or fifth season, still the same tins. The primer has not been renewed for a couple of years now, Velox sanded back and one or two coats applied before launch. I inspected the prop and P-bracket yesterday, a few small limpet type shell growths on the P-bracket, possibly one or two on the hub of the prop, none on the blades. Main point is no tube worm which prior to Velox would have covered the prop hub and blades by now".
https://forums.ybw.com/threads/apply....463817/page-2
Old 29-04-2024, 23:57   #43

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My prop had PropSpeed professionally applied in NZ in 2015. From there to the Falklands via Pto Montt and back up to Montt and on to Ecuador and then back to Montt over the next 9 years. Still no fouling on it when hauled 3 weeks ago.
Mind you I let the prop 'freewheel' when sailing, dunno if this affects anything.
Also use Hempel Olympic and the Sherwin William's equivalent and no fouling issues until the penultimate passage - a few goose barnacles - but she hadn't been a/fouled since 2019.
Oh and I tend to lay up ashore - no extended 'marina queen' port stays.
Old 30-04-2024, 00:29   #44

Am I getting confused?

Didn't you leave your yacht on the hard in Ecuador a few years back when you came back to Australia for a stint?

Did I pick up your AIS signal?
Old 30-04-2024, 00:49   #45

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Am I getting confused?

Didn't you leave your yacht on the hard in Ecuador a few years back when you came back to Australia for a stint?

Did I pick up your AIS signal?
Yes on the patio through 20/21.