Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 15:24   #1

Boat: C&C 27 mk iii
Keel Damage

Hi everyone,

I'm in the process of looking for a weekend cruiser and came across an Abbott 22 that fits the bill. While going over it I noticed some damage on the keel that I thought I'd try and get some advice on. Theres a crack running along the Port side of the keel, starting half way back, and along the entire starboard length of the keel. When knocking on it , the crack seems to be right along where the metal ballast meets the fiberglass. Reading about advice others have gotten regarding cracked keels I'm guessing the advice I'm going to get is to walk away from the boat. The owner inherited it from his deceased father and isn't a sailor and the boat has been out of the water he said at least 5 years. I couldn't get into the boat today to take a look at the Keelbolts, but can hopefully later this weekend to look for apparent damage there. Here are some pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_141828.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	401.2 KB
ID:	128758   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_141842.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	402.0 KB
ID:	128759  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_141905.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	404.5 KB
ID:	128760   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160730_141909.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	405.0 KB
ID:	128761  

TheWinterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 15:45   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Keel Damage

If the price is right, the keelbolts clean, and you like the boat, I wouldn't' call this a deal breaker. For all you know it's just the fairing failing from sun exposure.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 15:53   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterSailor View Post
.................. I couldn't get into the boat today to take a look at the Keelbolts, but can hopefully later this weekend to look for apparent damage there. Here are some pics:
Let's say you have the opportunity to look at these keel boats on the inside and find them clean and shiny with not corrosion on the threads and all dry and beautiful. What would this mean?

Let's say that the area of the crack resulted in very likely water intrusion and some slight movement that over years had caused corrosion and stress cracks in the the keel boats in that area. How would this change be expressed at the ends of the bolts in the keel? ...nothing,- 'bright shiny, like new.

Determining the condition of the bolts would require removing the material at the crack to expose the area in question. That's a huge job and once done , the only sensible action would be to remove the keel and replace the bolts,- huge job!

Bottom line,- Finding out if the bolts are bad requires enough process to just go ahead and replace the bolts,- otherwise you'll never now.

Another choice! Buy the boat dirt cheap as a potential total loss and sail it in protected water with acceptance of the risk.

I would not look at this any longer because there are many inexpensive boats without this problem.
Old 30-07-2016, 16:19   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Cracks are very common in externally ballasted keels. Nearly impossible to keep the keel from moving and solid inelastic fairing makes it look worse than it is. Condition of the keel bolts is critical if water has migrated to the bolts as it would be ripe for crevice corrosion. It's not that big a deal to drop the keel though R&R'ing the keel bolts could be a challenge if they don't want to come out.

Even though it's not a major job to undo the bolts and drop the keel, on a boat this size the travel lift time and labor could add up quickly to the point it isn't good economics. Armed with all the negatives you will undoubtedly get on this, may be able to talk the owner into giving it to you.

If you do drop the keel rebed with LifeCaulk, 5200, 4200 etc. that is elastic and won't crack.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 16:28   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Let's say you have the opportunity to look at these keel boats on the inside and find them clean and shiny with not corrosion on the threads and all dry and beautiful. What would this mean?

Let's say that the area of the crack resulted in very likely water intrusion and some slight movement that over years had caused corrosion and stress cracks in the the keel boats in that area. How would this change be expressed at the ends of the bolts in the keel? ...nothing,- 'bright shiny, like new.
I'd just be looking for obvious signs of damage that striking something with your keel could cause, I know it's not an all telling sign/symptom, but it's something, right?

As for the cost of the boat, the current owner is just looking to get rid of it, so all my costs would be going to outfit the boat so that it is sailable again. All the sheets and halyards are stiff/missing/severely weathered and it needs an outboard motor. That's why Im asking about the keel, if its really not worth it then I keep looking.
Old 30-07-2016, 16:30   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWinterSailor View Post

As for the cost of the boat, the current owner is just looking to get rid of it, so all my costs would be going to outfit the boat so that it is sailable again. All the sheets and halyards are stiff/missing/severely weathered and it needs an outboard motor. That's why Im asking about the keel, if its really not worth it then I keep looking.
oh, its one of those.......it'll cost you more than it's worth.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:11   #7

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Since you are shopping for a free, abandoned boat I will assume you don't have the money to buy a seaworthy vessel.

The keel separation on this boat would not bother me. You will need to be/get good with your hands. And you will need a place to work on it. A trailer could be a good option. And you will need help to get it on the trailer.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:21   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It wouldn't bother me either, or at least not anymore than any other bolt on keel boat that that had newish bottom paint, how do you know they weren't in worse shape than this one, just faired in and painted over?

You getting this free?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 09:24   #9

Some of that is not uncommon with a bolt on keel. It may be due to the type of fairing material used, or just from sitting on the hard too long etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 17:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
Since you are shopping for a free, abandoned boat I will assume you don't have the money to buy a seaworthy vessel.
It's not polite to assume, especially when you don't know the person on the other end. I was looking at this boat because it belongs to a mutual friend of mine and it's free, a person would be dumb not to at least look. In the 24 hours since I've posted this I have already made the decision not to take this boat and have already purchased a CS22 that's ready to go.

Thank you to everyone who gave me feedback about what I could have encountered with this boat. It made my decision a lot easier, as I'd rather be on the water then working on the hard!
Old 31-07-2016, 18:13   #11

Boat: Macgreggor Venture 22

Roll your sleeves up and jump right in... It's fun. Lol
Curious Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel