Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 16:52   #241
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
I think I'm slowing down in my old age! *sigh* Things just don't seem to be going as easy as they should. Been pretty tired lately. Dunno why.
Hopefully it's just the change of season. I sometimes feel fatigue as summer transitions to fall.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:35   #242
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post

Had my buddy Andrew helping today. We got the barn doors hung and the plastic on the back of the shed up. We tried to hang a large piece on the side but the wind kicked up and tore out all the staples we had holding it in place.
With that shape it definitely will create significant low pressure in a breeze.

You may consider using a cloth reinforcing tape on top of the plastic and staple through the cloth. The cloth won't allow the staples to tear through.
Old 11-10-2010, 16:36   #243
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
With that shape it definitely will create significant low pressure in a breeze.

You may consider using a cloth reinforcing tape on top of the plastic and staple through the cloth. The cloth won't allow the staples to tear through.
Thnx Dan. I've had that suggestion before. Will definitely use it if I see any signs of wear & tear. So far so good. One more seam to seal and it's pretty much finished (outside).

I had to put the large pieces up one at a time. No space to lay them out and seal the seams.

It wasn't that hard. Just time consuming. Takes about an hour per 20' seam to get it right.

The starved pony look will disappear when it gets shrunk.

The bottom edges will be sealed as well. Right now the cat figures the one on the lower right hand side is his private entrance!

The next steps will be to get it lined inside with poly and then set it up as a boat building shop I guess. I don't know what we'll do before the snow flies this year. I'm wavering between starting the long panels or just sticking the car in there and go into money saving mode over the winter.

Standby.....
Old 11-10-2010, 16:55   #244

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Thats one big cat box...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 11-10-2010, 17:13   #245

Boat: PETERSON 44
Im going to second Dans thought. Maybe you dont want to wait and see if it starts to fail though. When it doesn't hold it may let loose and once one piece starts to go it loads up all the other pieces. Seems like a little bit extra for a good bang. I built something like this and lived aboard inside it up New England years back. For what thats worth
Old 12-10-2010, 05:48   #246
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Thats one big cat box...
I went out this morning and there's three cats in there. The two boys were sitting on the folding chairs preening themselves! *sigh*
Old 12-10-2010, 07:51   #247

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well at least no mice issues..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 13-10-2010, 05:50   #248
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well at least no mice issues..
In or out of the house! When I went downstairs Sunday morning I saw blood all over the kitchen floor!

Mouse couldn't have been too bright to sneak into a house with five cats!
Old 13-10-2010, 07:35   #249

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi Rick:

I am in the middle of picking up my Barn and replacing the foundation. Well it started out as pouring a concrete slab and then I thought I would repair the corner and well . . . . Now I have three our of four walls off the ground and I am replacing the entire foundation. I imagine someone engineered the building you made but I am concerned about the shear strength from front to back. My Barn has walls that are 2" out of plumb because there is no shear wall in them. From side to side I can see that the bows would provide shear strength but from front to back All I see is the brace on the top. Given that you are going to keep one of the doors closed the majority of the time have you thought about making a temporary brace that would run outside the building and run alonside the bow and go all the way tot he ground? I'm not an engineer but have been a builder for twenty years or more.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 13-10-2010, 08:57   #250
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Rick:

I imagine someone engineered the building you made but I am concerned about the shear strength from front to back.............Given that you are going to keep one of the doors closed the majority of the time have you thought about making a temporary brace that would run outside the building and run alonside the bow and go all the way tot he ground?
Hi Charlie. Thnx for the concern. You can see a few of the diagonals in this pic....

I'll add more as I line the inside of the shed with plastic (so they'll do double duty as battens). They'll run from the front bows to the ground sill. As it sits right now there's no fwd/aft movement if I shove as hard as I can on the shed. It'll wobble side to side quite a bit. I'll be adding more side to side bracing as I go as well. I'm pretty sure it'll survive anything we normally get here as wind. The plans for the shed came from "Stimson Marine". I'm not sure it was "engineered" but more an evolution of a basic design that's been used for many many years.
Old 13-10-2010, 09:19   #251

Cool I just thought I would throw in my two cents. Especially after looking at my barn. LOL

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 16-10-2010, 15:05   #252
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm too tired to type anything. I'll just let the pics speak for themselves.

Old 16-10-2010, 15:13   #253

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
it sure looks cold in there.
Will you be able to see in blue light?
Old 16-10-2010, 15:19   #254

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Built a shed similar to this in Midland, right on the water at the Georgian Bay, in '71, to build a 28ft Gurney sloop. Used 6 mil poly stapled thru 1/16" spruce scrap battens. It lasted from Aug to Aug before requiring skin replacement. I was impressed, particularly with 7ft drifts against it right off the Bay
Old 16-10-2010, 16:49   #255

Blue Light special on aisle one would be a 200 hp diesel engine that sips 2 iters per hour. Getem while they are hot!!!

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Closed Thread