Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2010, 18:20   #256

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Well done rick...I want one

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 16-10-2010, 21:12   #257

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Looks good Rick! Now it time for a break............ till Monday
Old 17-10-2010, 04:02   #258
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
it sure looks cold in there.
Will you be able to see in blue light?
Going to line the inside with Tyvek house wrap. This'll brighten things up a bit. Lighting will fluorescent and if that's not enough I'll add some skylights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Stocking View Post
Built a shed similar to this in Midland, right on the water at the Georgian Bay, in '71, to build a 28ft Gurney sloop. Used 6 mil poly stapled thru 1/16" spruce scrap battens. It lasted from Aug to Aug before requiring skin replacement. I was impressed, particularly with 7ft drifts against it right off the Bay
They're amazingly strong structures considering they're built from cheap spruce strapping. Yesterday it was blowing 15-20 in the morning and I could feel it moving a bit. After I shrunk all the plastic it wasn't budging an inch! I'm told the heat shrink plastic should last 3-4 years. I've got enough left over to do the shed again entirely if need be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Blue Light special on aisle one would be a 200 hp diesel engine that sips 2 iters per hour. Getem while they are hot!!!
Sorry, all I have in stock is a 55 HP Turbo Yanmar and it's not on sale!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
Well done rick...I want one
Mine will be for sale in about hmmmmm? 3-4 years! Funny you should mention that, a guy at the local boat yard sold his when he was finished with it (20 x 40) for $1000 that's about 2/3'rds of what I have in mine so far. They guy that bought it also came and took it down and hauled it away!

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Looks good Rick! Now it time for a break............ till Monday
Thnx Del. We got space to start building in the spring! Today we're taking the old IROC-Z for it's last cruise of the year before it gets tucked away. Hope all is well with you and Lena. I hear the PI is about to be lashed by another Super Typhoon eh? Sure you want to go live there?

Standby.....
Old 17-10-2010, 04:10   #259
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Just a reminder. A few have asked "What are you putting in the shed?" Well we're building a diesel trawler from bateau.com

As drawn 28' LOA

We plan to lengthen it to approx. 31'-5" something like this....

We have the pre-cut plywood kit and some of the equipment to go into the boat already. Inventory Listing We're also tracking our costs for this project with an online spreadsheet if you're interested. What We've Spent To Date
Old 21-10-2010, 15:03   #260
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Now that the outside is pretty much finished I started on the inside. Put up the first section of Tyvek house wrap today.

I used good old fashioned hockey stick tape to reinforce the staples.

The two layers of plastic will provide a thermal break if I decide to heat the shed in the winter with a propane heater. Probably not this winter but definitely next I will. The Tyvek is white so that should help with the lighting and get rid of some of the blue tint from the shrink wrap. That's about it for now. Standby...
Old 21-10-2010, 15:17   #261

Boat: Catalina 34 - "Points North"
Thumbs up

The boat's going to be a snap after the shed.
Old 26-10-2010, 11:56   #262
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All good things must come to an end sometime

after 3-1/2 years it's time to put this thread to bed for good. I won't be posting any more updates on here. If you're really really interested in what's going on in my tiny boat building world I'm going to concentrate my efforts from now on on my blog site. M/V She:Kon

Mods please lock this thread.
Closed Thread