Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2008, 06:01   #121
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Winter Wonderland my ar$e!

Got some reinforcin' to do on the boat tarp. It didn't stand up to the 50 knot winds last night!
Old 28-03-2009, 15:56   #122
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Our lil' boatbuilding project just suffered a minor set back....

I bought this today to restore. Had one years ago and had to give it up for various reasons (he's about to graduate college) So now I've got one after months of looking. It's not exactly what I wanted but I can make it into a very close approximation of the one I had way back when.

This is the one I bought new in '87.

This'll mean pushing the trawler project back at least a year.
Old 28-03-2009, 16:45   #123

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
You slut...
Old 10-07-2009, 05:47   #124
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
You slut...
I'll consider that a compliment Frz!

After a considerable amount of work (and expense) we got out for our first ride in the IROC last night. A bunch of neighborhood kids sitting on a porch yelled out to us as we went by "Hey Grandpa! Let 'er Go!". Grandpa my a$$. I obliged them just a lil' bit.

So we should wrap this project up in a week. Safety check & all. Then back to the boat building plans after I clear up a few "Honey Do's!"
Old 04-09-2009, 09:27   #125
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Lunchtime view today.....

Lunchtime view today.....

At least I think it's time for lunch.....

Cutting asphalt is a dirty dirty dirty job. *sigh*

This is the last "Honey Do" before I can start my boat build! Wohoo!!!
Old 04-09-2009, 09:35   #126
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
What time is it?

Daytime.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 06-09-2009, 16:44   #127
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Made the first purchase of a piece of gear requiring a color decision. It looks like the boat's gonna be "BLUE". Good deal too!

Some great deals on e-Bay lately. There's a few builders who are liquidating their stock via e-Bay. Pays off to pay close attention!
Old 06-09-2009, 20:45   #128

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hey Rick, the car looks great. Not bad for a "Grampa" job...<gr>

Good to see you are about to get started on the boat. Nice seats.

Cheers.
Old 07-09-2009, 03:28   #129
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Hey Rick, the car looks great. Not bad for a "Grampa" job...<gr>

Good to see you are about to get started on the boat. Nice seats.
Snowin' there in Winterpeg yet Frz?

Watch the "grandpa" cracks or I'll ban y'er arse!
Old 12-09-2009, 13:21   #130
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Last "HoneyDo" complete. Now I can't tell people I'm the house on the street with the gravel driveway!

Next post to this thread will be me putting up the bowshed to build my boat. Standby.....

Old 23-09-2009, 16:22   #131
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Parts are piling up! I had to create a picture inventory so I could remember what I've bought already!

Inventory pictures by KnottyBuoyz - Photobucket

This is just the tip of the ice burg. There's a dozen or so e-Bay auctions on my list at the moment. Standby.....
Old 23-09-2009, 20:27   #132
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Parts are piling up! I had to create a picture inventory so I could remember what I've bought already!
Buying the same stuff twice - devastating!
Old 24-09-2009, 02:37   #133
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Buying the same stuff twice - devastating!
Hmmmm? Maybe I'll build two boats and stick 'em together eh? Oh my no! That'd be a catamaran then!
Old 12-10-2009, 14:23   #134
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The answer is no!

The question is: Can you make your own power (AC/DC) distribution panel cheaper than you can buy one? NO! But I'm doing it anyways. Why? Because I can and now that boating season has wrapped up I have a need to tinker. So a custom power distribution panel seems like a good project.

I found a material that is basically dyed carbon fiber, Texalium. It comes in a number of colors and is used primarily as an overlay in various applications. It's not like carbon fiber, it's stiff and will not drape over odd shaped objects but it's perfect for flat panels.

The primary color for the boat is blue so this'll add a nice custom touch. Next step was to plan the panel. Hmmm? A quick google search turns up "Front Panel Designer". Great lil' app perfectly suited to the task. Here's what the output looks like.

Front Panel is designed for people to have them manufacture their panels for you. It'll even cost out the project. They can't engrave on Texalium so we'll use adhesive backed laser engraved labels. Switches are all Carling marine, breakers are all Blue Sea, LED's are Blue Sea as well as the battery switch and analog meters. AC Selector source is Kraus & Naimer.

I got started on this project today creating the panel. Texalium is only 0.015" thick so I had to lay up some fiberglass & core mat to get to the 1/8" thickness req'd for a panel. Took about half an hour to cut and lay up the various materials. One layer of 1708 biaxial & 2mm core mat for the substrate then the Texalium. This gets overlayed with a very fine peel ply (makes peeling everything apart easy hence the name and leaves a nice fine matt finish) (nylon sheet) and the flow media. This gets covered by a special vacuum bagging (infusion) film. Vacuum is applied and the entire stack gets compressed.

Started infusing the panel at 1500 hrs and it was fully infused 40 mins later.

The reddish color comes from the plastic flow media (plastic screen). Resin is fed in the bottom and migrates across the layup to the vacuum at the top. This is done under high vacuum 29" HG. Here's the fully infused panel.

It'll take at least 24 hrs before I can start to pull it apart. The epoxy resin is very thin and has a very long pot life (4 hrs). Because it's such a thin panel I might leave it for 48 hrs for it to stiffen up a bit more before handling it.

Just a rough estimate but this panel cost approx. $50 in materials counting the 4 oz. of epoxy I spilled on the basement floor (which is now waterproofed). There's enough material there to make 3 panels 8" wide x 18" high. Will post pics when I part it from the tooling surface. Standby.
Old 13-10-2009, 15:03   #135
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is one of the aspects of the process I totally haven't come to grips with yet, the waste. A lot of material goes in the gash.

I couldn't wait and pulled it off the tooling surface (malamine). Results were not quite what I expected, little rough in some areas and the layup looks a little dry. Too much vacuum maybe. I would have gotten a better surface on the Texalium if I had layed it up upside down on glass. Might try that next.

Sorry about the crappy close up. Cheapo camera, this was the best I could get.

Obviously I haven't perfected my technique yet but I'll get there eventually. The process as a whole has a lot of advantages, too many to go into here and a few drawbacks such as the waste mentioned earlier. Controlling the vacuum is key. I use an automated setup if anyone's interested I'll document that if you like.

I don't know if this piece will work. I read the instructions for the core mat "after" I infused the part. It said "Not Compatible with Epoxy"! Duh! It likely won't bond or won't bond well enough. I did get the thickness I was looking for, well pretty close, was looking for 0.125" and got 0.133".

Oh well lessons learned onto the next one.
Closed Thread