Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2021, 17:09   #1

Lag Screw "fix"- Cat 27 Keel Bolts

Yes, yes, I know this topic has been discussed on a lot of different threads already. The purpose of this particular post is to compare notes with anyone else out there that has used lag screws to secure a keel. The Catalinadirect website has a kit for doing this, although it comes with a disclaimer that the boat will not be as seaworthy as the original. I am fairly green in sailing so apologies if any of the questions are ridiculous.

The previous owner of my Catalina 27 (1976) sistered in six new 3/8" x 12" silicon bronze lags in order to prevent a smile from opening up on the keelhull joint, leaving the original bolts in place.

At this point the orginal bolts are showing a lot of corrosion and it is likely that some are toast. It seems that over the winter some water may have seeped down through the bilge and frozen somewhere in the keel opening a small crack about halfway down the keel, starboard side. Looks like rust stains are coming out of that crack.

My questions/concerns are several
- Has anyone else attempted this same fix, with the lag screws that is? What were your results? What did you do about the original bolts?
- Could the lag screws support the keel in the even that the original bolts have corroded to the point of offering little to no support?
- If I decide to drop the keel and inspect the keel/hull joint, does anyone know if it will be possible to unscrew these lags from the lead, or will they need to be cut off?
- If I wanted the extra security of actual new bolts and decided to try the "windowing & sistering" approach, would more holes totally compromise the keel sump?
- How could I cap or seal the original bolts so that no more water would seep down from the bilge? Pack in sealant, epoxy, paint over with gelcoat? How will anything adhere to the rust? Or will sealing speed up corrosion?
- If I wanted to drill holes into the keel near where I see water seeping out, what am I going to hit - lead, foam, fiberglass, air? Does anyone know how these keels are constructed, other than the big chucnk of lead, that is?
- Does anyone know a yard in the New York City/Hudson/LI Sound area that has experience with this kind of repair?

Thanks for whatever info you can offer.
JManCat27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
crew, keel, keel bolts