Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 13:14   #1

Boat: Dynamíque 64, S/V Valhalla.
Laminating G10 to Window Frames

Here's a good one for you, lads:

http://idisk.mac.com/alpine.island//Public/IMG_0383.JPG

In that picture above, you see the window frames of my Dynamique 64's forward salon windows. The patchy light colored blotchy merde is old epoxy (vintage 1983), with which plywood had been laminated to the fiberglass structure. The three more or less upright frames between the windows are plenty strong, but with the removal of the old plywood they have become more flexible than I like.

After grinding the last of that old epoxy away, I'm going to laminate boards of G10, quarter inch thick, onto the inside surface of the those window frames. The frames between the windows are about 9" wide and 48" long, so here's the question...

Would you A) cut the G10 to fit to the edge of the frame and then fiberglass around the edges of the G10 and the original frame together? Together with the adhesive epoxy that held the two surfaces together, it seems that a bound edge would be a nice addition to the design. Or, B) cut the G10 to be slightly inboard of the frame edges, and then fillet and glass onto the underside only?

Curious about your collective thoughts.
Old 12-08-2010, 00:57   #2
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
To me it makes more sense structurally to have a homogenous, monocoque, laminated frame assembly then a "stuck on" repair from below.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 15:55   #3

Boat: Dynamíque 64, S/V Valhalla.
After a lot of thought - too much, probably - I abandoned any ideas of more fiberglassing and decided to go with 2"x6" aluminum U-beams, through bolted using modified T-nuts. I can bloody tap dance on my window frames now with no flex at all.