Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 21:22   #1

Boat: looking to buy my own 40 foot
Lamination technician and work

Hello everyone, I am looking at purchasing a C&N sailboat that has some lamination issues in a few spots that need to be taken care of mostly on the top sides besides the rudder that needs to be done. I have the recent haul out and inspection document where he has pointed out what he calls the above average moisture content of a few spots on deck as well as a gouges to on the hull and that the gel coat has pretty much reached the end of its life and should be redone I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea of how much time and money would be involved in getting these areas fixed up which I will hopefully have pictures posted along with this so you can see, as well as getting the Hull of this 48-ft boat sanded and all the proper bottom paints and protective coats applied as well as a new coat of paint.
I can do some of the basic stuff like the sanding and what not but I am obviously not a lamination technician. I am thinking about trying to get this done on the Caribbean side of Mexico somewhere to save costs on labor if anyone has any experience getting any refit work done outside of the USA, the boat is currently in Florida so I would be paying the price for a US resident lamination technician. Thank you for all your help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211644.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	223921   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211620.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	317.9 KB
ID:	223922  

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211614.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	330.6 KB
ID:	223923   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211609.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	390.8 KB
ID:	223924  

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211557.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	223925   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200921-211548.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	314.0 KB
ID:	223926  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2186.Camper Boat recommendations.pdf (416.6 KB, 13 views)
Lucas1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2020, 22:03   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283
Re: Lamination technician and work

I have 1984 C&N 58. Check my photos.

Our gel coat was badly blistered with thousands of tiny pips. We had it sandblasted. If you have this I recommend a peel. This removes the gel coat and a bit of glass. Let it dry out and refinish with epoxy and new glass if you cut deep. My rudder was hollow mushy junk. I built a new one in the basement over winter using the old frame. I did a few bits of deck myself from the inside. We later had the entire deck stripped and rebuilt at Power Boat in Chaguaramos,Trinidad by Perfect Finish. Trinidad rates are great if they ever open borders again.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2020, 03:16   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

For the amount of labor you're looking for, I'd go to Cartagena, Colombia. They have glass and gelcoat guys down there who are dirt cheap in comparison to anything in the 'states. I rented a room at a boatyard there while doing some work, so wasn't living aboard while working on the boat.
I'd bet it's cheaper there than either Mexico, Roatan, or Rio Dulce.
Old 25-09-2020, 21:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I have 1984 C&N 58. Check my photos.

Our gel coat was badly blistered with thousands of tiny pips. We had it sandblasted. If you have this I recommend a peel. This removes the gel coat and a bit of glass. Let it dry out and refinish with epoxy and new glass if you cut deep. My rudder was hollow mushy junk. I built a new one in the basement over winter using the old frame. I did a few bits of deck myself from the inside. We later had the entire deck stripped and rebuilt at Power Boat in Chaguaramos,Trinidad by Perfect Finish. Trinidad rates are great if they ever open borders again.

Great, thank you for the info.
Old 25-09-2020, 21:57   #5

Ok great thanks for the tips, do you recall any of the prices for your accommodations or labour? Did you happen to sail back north or know of anyone who has, just wondering how hard it is to actually sail up and the trade winds don't really go that way. Thank you.
Old 25-09-2020, 22:59   #6

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Lamination technician
Sounds flash
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2020, 03:42   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas1983 View Post
Ok great thanks for the tips, do you recall any of the prices for your accommodations or labour? Did you happen to sail back north or know of anyone who has, just wondering how hard it is to actually sail up and the trade winds don't really go that way. Thank you.
I it's me you're asking, the apartment at the yard was less than $500/month; I paid a guy $30 to sand my antifouling thoroughly, and I mean thoroughly. Other cruisers were there having complete gelcoat jobs and having rudders rebuilt. Living is cheap and easy, the only difficulty is in finding specialty parts, or having them shipped. But a simple gelcoat job is well within their abilities, and as bonus you'll be in Cartagena. Win-win. Getting back to Florida you simply sail to the Yucatan, stopping at Providencia, Guanaja, Belize, etc. on the way if you like, then catch a weather window to Key West

Tags
work