Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2024, 08:27   #211
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Large solar array support beams

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
So thats 2kw per 550W Renogy panel, looks like they are well made.
Any idea who is the original manufacturer as renogy just buys them branded from the real manufacturer. They don't sell them over here in Europe you only get 220W bifacial.
No, it’s 2kWh per 450W (not 550W) panel and is’t only February!

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2024, 11:11   #212

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Please explain what you mean. I don’t even know what the abbreviations mean…
I'm assuming that you have used the drawer slides similar to that illustrated in the image and are concerned that the carbon steel construction will corrode in the marine environment.

I was suggesting that you might be able to fabricate similar mechanisms using stainless steel cam rollers (mainly used in food processing equipment) and C shaped sections fabricated from Square or Rectangular hollow stainless steel sections (hence SHS and RHS) although any devices fabricated in this way would be considerably heavier than the off the shelf items.

For my fridge rebuild project I used L sectioned frames bent up from light stainless steel sheeting strips and nylon screen door rollers however the frames are not captive as they need to be lifted out for cleaning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Drawer slide.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	286341  
Old 15-02-2024, 11:21   #213
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
I'm assuming that you have used the drawer slides similar to that illustrated in the image and are concerned that the carbon steel construction will corrode in the marine environment.

I was suggesting that you might be able to fabricate similar mechanisms using stainless steel cam rollers (mainly used in food processing equipment) and C shaped sections fabricated from Square or Rectangular hollow stainless steel sections (hence SHS and RHS) although any devices fabricated in this way would be considerably heavier than the off the shelf items.

For my fridge rebuild project I used L sectioned frames bent up from light stainless steel sheeting strips and nylon screen door rollers however the frames are not captive as they need to be lifted out for cleaning.
SHS = Square Hollow Stainless? Wow, that must be some profession specific abbreviations as not even Google gets that! senior High School it says.

But yes, thanks for that! I have my eyes on inline skate wheels for rollers; they are rather large but will have better grip… I’m thinking over options so this is all very much appreciated!

The slides have no corrosion yet, which I can’t say about the stainless steel struts I made which we cleaned a couple times already. I should have used carbon fiber

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar