Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2019, 07:11   #1

Boat: Tartan 28
Lazarette organizing ideas ?

On our small Tartan 28, we don’t have a lot of storage, and the single Lazarette we have on the port side of the boat is filled and disorganized. It’s a shared space with the battery bank, and access panels for getting to the rear of the engine, prop shaft etc..

I’ve been trying to imagine some ways to organize it better, perhaps put in a small shelf, or epoxy on some wood blocks to the side of the hull, with eye straps to attach shock cord for bungeeing items. I have my porta-bote seats, oars, stored in there which are long fairly lightweight items that take up a lot of hull floor space for example that would be great to strap to the side of the hull if possible.

I thought it would be interesting to see how others have fabricated or created better storage systems. Please share ideas or pics if you have them. I’d really love to see some creative ideas to borrow from
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 19:51   #2
RGN

Location: stuck in Florida for vaccinations, bot stuck in the Chesapeake
Boat: Vanguard 33
Re: Lazarette organizing ideas ?

My lazarette is wide and deep and the hatch is only about 20 x 20", so some kind of organization is a must or items will disappear forever.

I epoxied some leveling blocks down low and use several milk crate type containers for holding and organizing what is in there. I keep the fenders on the far port side and the Weber stowed on the far Starboard side. There is also a line storage rack the PO put in there that gets used for spare lines and the dock lines. The milk crates of various sizes fill most the rest of the space.

The fender boards fit way in the back jammed in there tight to keep things from moving around.

The whole area is work in progress and it changes when I acquire yet more crap.

I sounds to me like your talking more about under seat lockers than the lazarette but you said Lazarette so ...
RGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 03:24   #3

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

We use plastic milk crates to segregate various stuff in some of our storage areas... and some small see-thru Rubbermaid boxes in other places. Former better when air circulation is useful, latter better in damp places.

Individual "stuff" that might go in one of those get's either zip-locked or vacuum bagged.

-Chris
Old 22-08-2019, 19:40   #4

Boat: Tartan 28

Yes, the under seat locker is the right description. Seems that it depends on who you talk to as to whether its called a lazerette or cockpit locker. Cockpit lockers are usually shallower and just under the seat, but technically lazerette is aft and down to the bottom of the hull and includes the space around the steering linkage. I suppose it’s a combination of the two. On our boat we have a small quarter birth that takes up the interior room on one side of the cockpit, the other is the locker that access all space that isn’t used by the quarter birth and engine, and that’s the only one. Due to the curve of the hull, and the battery bank that’s in there. it’s not real good for organizing things. I’m hoping to find a way to use the hull side more instead of everything just being piled off the bottom.
zemurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2019, 20:03   #5

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Using milk crates helps us. We also have a line strapped across the inside of the lid, but if we hang lines or such they just get in the way when closing the lid so it works for smaller things that I may need on projects that have my attention at the moment. Sometimes hanging a damp rag, too, with clothes pins. Check out Pinterest for ideas with pictures. There are lots of examples.
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote