Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2010, 03:11   #76
Armchair Bucketeer

My external teak is over 40 years old, and looks it. one of the things that I am (slowly!) addressing

Mainly by replacement With non-wood products is the plan for 95% But gonna have to save my pennies for 60 odd feet of toe rail capping..............in stainless steel

But in the interim, they have been treated with a special formula that looks great (from 10 feet away ) is longlasting and easy to touch up...........

It does what it says on the tin

Sometimes for sale on special offer with a free pair of molegrips (for all your mechanical needs )
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 07:34   #77

Boat: Newport 30
I was wondering if I was the only one that uses the Boiled Linseed-Turp-Pine Tar formula. I also add a little Japan Dryer. I used Deks Olje for years, but it's off the market now, for some reason. Once I get the varnish off, I'll never allow varnish on my brightwork again.
jerrymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 18:36   #78
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee
I will probably use a linseed oil/pine tar concoction of some sort on most of my exposed wood with varnish on a few places. Below decks I am using alot of cumaru and iron bark, just one coat of oil looks like a low gloss varnish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrymc View Post
I was wondering if I was the only one that uses the Boiled Linseed-Turp-Pine Tar formula. I also add a little Japan Dryer. I used Deks Olje for years, but it's off the market now, for some reason. Once I get the varnish off, I'll never allow varnish on my brightwork again.
wolfenzee is offline   Reply With Quote