Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 09:11   #1

Le Tonkinois

Has anyone used le tonkinois for treating their teak? If so, how does it look and does it hold up to the Florida sun.
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:10   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dockgoody View Post
Has anyone used le tonkinois for treating their teak? If so, how does it look and does it hold up to the Florida sun.
I used it up here in the Chesapeak Bay. Easy to apply and levels well. Only lasted 4 months till it started flaking off.
graydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:39   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Le Tonkinois

A forum search results in-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...archid=5552905

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:17   #4

Boat: Roberts 44 Offshore

Yep been using it since at least 2000. Just did my toerails with another 2 coats. Love this stuff and I hope it stays available. We are in Toronto so can't really comment if it holds up in the southern temps or Sun. No mixing or sanding between coats.
winterbuoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:25   #5

Boat: 55' Romsdal

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
Yep been using it since at least 2000. Just did my toerails with another 2 coats. Love this stuff and I hope it stays available. We are in Toronto so can't really comment if it holds up in the southern temps or Sun. No mixing or sanding between coats.
How different is it from Cetol? Better, worse?
Old 15-09-2013, 16:34   #6

I really don't like the look of Cetol because it seems to turn orange, at least the boats I've seen with it. Le Tonk has a great shine and is amber translucent in color. I roll it on with a small foam roller and it is very forgiving. Do a google and you will see a site in Europe with many pics of it on boats. Many people in our club ask me what it is. I get mine from American Rope and Tar in the big can. There is another seller in NY but I can't remember their name.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by winterbuoy View Post
I really don't like the look of Cetol because it seems to turn orange, at least the boats I've seen with it. Le Tonk has a great shine and is amber translucent in color. I roll it on with a small foam roller and it is very forgiving. Do a google and you will see a site in Europe with many pics of it on boats. Many people in our club ask me what it is. I get mine from American Rope and Tar in the big can. There is another seller in NY but I can't remember their name.
Thanks! I saw it at the Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival and was very curious.
Old 15-09-2013, 16:43   #8

Ya try it, like I said I hope they keep selling it in the US cause I really would be pissed if it went away. Very big in Europe I think. Cheers!!
Old 15-09-2013, 17:13   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you were to read the results of the forum search, you would note that reviews here have been fairly negative.

Old 15-09-2013, 17:32   #10

There is no such thing as a perfect Varnish. I'm just saying that in over 10 years of using Le Tonk, I think it's pretty dam good ****. You know what they say about opinions!!
Old 15-09-2013, 17:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Link broken, no search results.
Old 15-09-2013, 18:30   #12

Boat: csy 37

having lived in south florida for 25 years, and now central florida for 10 years, may i recommend to you what i consider the best teak treatment for the tropics. Starbrite Tropical Teak Oil. notice i didn't say starbrite teak oil. i said starbrite TROPICAL teak oil.

it's a high quality teak oil with an ultraviolet ray inhibitor in it. the teak oil penetrates the teak, as it should, and the uv inhibitor remains on the surface and protects the teak beneath it. i generally put on two coats every couple of years, although i've had it last as long as four years.

if you're starting with bare, clean teak, the work goes quickly. otherwise you should probably get rid of any old finish you have and get down to bare teak.

1. wash the teak. i like don casey's mixture; a bucket of water with a half cup of liquid laundry detergent and a half cup of bleach. brush it on (always brush across the grain, not with it), let it sit ten minutes, and hose it off. you're done cleaning.

2. brush on one coat of STARBRITE TROPICAL TEAK OIL. then brush on a second. i advise you to tape around the teak or keep a rag with mineral spirits handy; if you get any on anything but the teak, wipe it off immediately or it's a pain to get if off later. i use cheap foam brushes but note that it seems to go through them pretty quickly so get a dozen. no need to sand between coats, by the way.

3. come back in two to four years and do it over again. you'll know when it needs to be redone because the finish gradually fades away. just repeat steps 1 and 2 and you're good for another couple of years.

it's available at west marine and online. a can sells for about $30 to $40. there are two 'colors' available, a light teak and a 'regular' teak. the light teak definitely looks better. this picture was taken about a year or two after i applied it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	teak.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	67247  
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:50   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

I used Tonkinois and found it much like any other varnish. Easy to apply though and spreads nicely.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 21:04   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Link broken, no search results.

Just punch "le Tonkinois" into the search engine, for gawd's sake! At least a dozen reports from people who experienced it failing totally, often within six months. Some of them clearly know what they are talking about. Never used it myself though, I have already touted my own "miracle recipe" on this forum.