Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2017, 08:54   #1

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Lead Keel and VC17

I've been repairing the ding in my lead keel, a project that is pretty much done. I am down to bare lead in some places.

Q: Can I put VC17 directly on the exposed lead or do I need some sort of undercoat?

My concerns are two-fold:
--are the lead and the copper in VC17 likely to interact in unpleasant ways?
--and will the VC17 adhere to the lead?

Looking forward to knowledge.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:05   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Lead Keel and VC17

Undercoat. I'd suggest Interlux 2000. Follow the rules for coating lead and do at least 4 coats of 2000.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:21   #3
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

From the product data sheet:

STEEL/LEAD (Keels & Hulls) Blast to near white metal surface (Sa 2½). Apply 3-4 coats of VC Tar2.

Apply 2-3 coats on the area to be coated per season. Do not sand between coats of VC 17m Extra with Biolux.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 09:35   #4

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

You can use the Interlux, or just 4 coats of West or other epoxy. Whatever you use, sand the keel so the lead is fresh, and put the first coat on the same day.
donradcliffe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 12:54   #5

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland

Thanks all.

Connemara
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2017, 16:10   #6
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

VC tar sucks to work with. Interlux 2000 sticks to lead like peanut butter on shag carpet if you apply it immediately after abrasion and with substrate (the lead) at 15• above current dew point. This is the secret-don't coat cold lead. As a lead keel is a giant heat sink, this means the whole thing must be warmed up, unless coating in the afternoon on a warm dry day. Even then it's wise. Just put your hand on the bare lead even on a hot day and you'll notice how cool it is, unless it's in direct sunlight.

Old 15-04-2017, 09:31   #7

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
VC tar sucks to work with. Interlux 2000 sticks to lead like peanut butter on shag carpet if you apply it immediately after abrasion and with substrate (the lead) at 15• above current dew point. This is the secret-don't coat cold lead. As a lead keel is a giant heat sink, this means the whole thing must be warmed up, unless coating in the afternoon on a warm dry day. Even then it's wise. Just put your hand on the bare lead even on a hot day and you'll notice how cool it is, unless it's in direct sunlight.
If you are doing this prepatory to launch and have the power in your yard, I would seriously suggest heat lamps and a heat gun with a diffuser to warm the lead surface to take the barrier coat(s). I mean, it only sees sunshine in a row of boats for a few minutes a day, right?

I barrier-coated a rudder in shadow in spring with this technique and it worked well.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 10:07   #8
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
If you are doing this prepatory to launch and have the power in your yard, I would seriously suggest heat lamps and a heat gun with a diffuser to warm the lead surface to take the barrier coat(s). I mean, it only sees sunshine in a row of boats for a few minutes a day, right?

I barrier-coated a rudder in shadow in spring with this technique and it worked well.
I use a small 75,000 btu kero heater for this. Lead is such an efficient heat sink that lesser measures will generally have their heat instantly dissipated with little effect. Propane heaters condense too much moisture on the burn, diesel has sooty exhaust (read contamination). Kero is the sweet spot. Especially if the bottom or keel in question is tented and the heat can be ducted into the tent directly on the keel, i.e. no exhaust in the bag.

Old 15-04-2017, 21:43   #9

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Be very cautious of the lead dust (if you are sanding lead). It will make you insane. Lead poisoning (by eating or breathing lead, including lead vapour and dust) is called hatter's disease. Its the basis of the character the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland. Hat makers often went insane. They used heated lead to make the brim of hats stiff.

Once inside your body, lead accumulates in the brain. There is no way to remove lead from your body.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 06:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Lead poisoning (by eating or breathing lead, including lead vapour and dust) is called hatter's disease. Its the basis of the character the mad hatter in Alice in Wonderland. Hat makers often went insane. They used heated lead to make the brim of hats stiff.

I believe that was from mercury, not lead. Mercuric nitrate was used to treat the animal skins (furs) used for hat making.
dennismckim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2017, 17:56   #11

Believe lead poison is bad either from gunshot or ingestion or breathing. Unfortunately the real effects in adults weren't really found until highway overpasses were sandblasted to remove the good paint that contained large amounts of lead. These poor people suffered anything from memory loss from brain damage, organs being destroyed to death. That's from breathing the dust. Now they use negative pressure enclosures and pressurized suits pumping separate clean air from bottled source to sandblast.

I remember something about having housing tested for lead paint so young children didn't eat the chipping paint. If found it is big bucks for certified contractor to remove.

I believe above is correct it accumulates in the body over long periods of time. So if sanding lead keel it's probably worth taking a few precautions. Vaporized lead fumes being breathed is also a nono. One reason it's banned from antifouling in most of would. It pretty much took care of shell fish population but from what I understand was great keeping critters off the hull.

I also agree mercury is very toxic as stated.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel