Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2011, 02:58   #16

Boat: Endeavour 43
Re: Leaking fuel tank

I am sure you can...they service aircraft worldwide. Like one person pointed out, you must get the area to be repaired cleaned. My tank was so corroded that I could see daylight through the welds. I couldn't get a new tank into the boat so I was forced into the prospect of a welder fabricating a new one inside my cabin. I ended up taking a small hand held sandblaster and cleaning the outside of the tank. I then took new plates of aluminum and glued them to the outside of the tank. I gave it a couple of day to dry and then pressure tested the repair at 5 psi. It held the pressure for a week. That was 4 years ago and it is still perfect.
If you decide to go this route, there are several versions to choose from. I used the b-2 which stands for black with 2 hour working time. The b-1/2 will set up too fast. This stuff is a god awful mess to work with so get a box of latex gloves, acetone and paper towels.
I used this last week to help a friend put a windshield in his airplane and the trick to getting a beautiful bead is to use your finger. Everything else will drag the stuff into a mess.
Good luck
Bruce
brankin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank, leaks