Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2015, 16:14   #16

Boat: Tartan 40
Re: Leaking portlights- what to do?

Thats great. What kind of port did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 16:44   #17

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Hi everyone-
The heavy rainfall we had in Maryland exposed my original Bomar portlights on my 1987 Tartan 40. I believe the gasket holding the windows in the aluminum frame are leaking now in many of the ports. I've replaced the frame gaskets and tried using sealant around the edge of windows in frames.

I have looked through the Newfound metals, lewmar, vetus, and bomar catalogs. The only new ones that fit my openings with minimal enlargement are the Bomar 6000 series windows (model 6518).

My questions for the forum:
1. Does anyone know if the aluminum frame can be rebuilt with new window and frame gaskets? Ie are these likely to be repairable?
2. Any opinions on the Bomar 6000 portlights? I had hoped to possibly find some stainless ones but none of the standard sizes out there fit.
3. Any other manufacturers I should look up?

Thanks all for your help in advance!
Goiot. The ones we have have been excellent, free from the difficulties that have plagued our Lewmars.

Ann
Old 07-10-2015, 00:43   #18

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Thats great. What kind of port did you use?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Usually a good set of (older) pre-loved ones. One's which were designed "old school", aka, to be taken all of the way apart & tuned up every decade or two.
Which likely isn't the biggest help for your circumstance... So, aside from Ann T. Cate's suggestion. Contact a few of the higher end port manufacturers; describing your current problem, & what you'd prefer in a port (being able to disassemble them fully & fix things yourself).

When doing so, ask them to send you full schematics of their ports, including; isometric drawings showing how they are assembled, & that have listings of all of the parts with part numbers on said drawings (and seperate sheets).
Much as is done for engine sub-assemblies, & other mechanical items.
If they can't, or wont, to your satisfaction, it's time to talk to someone else.

As a point of clarification, I'm not trying to be flippant. It's that a long while back, I learned that; well designed hatch systems, & some big Dorades, with good draft boxes & or systems, give me a lot more ventillation per $ than opening ports. So on a new (to me) boat, that's where most of my ventillation budget goes. And I mostly have ports of the fixed type.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 02:00   #19

Boat: Westerly Sealord

They look very similar to my ports...resealed the lot maybe 14 years ago....had one leaking recently...very slight drip

I bought some butyl tape similar to what Mainesail sells ***Buy Bed-It Butyl Tape*** Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

I put that against the coachroof and bedded the outer frame down against it... problem solved...

Tags
portlights