Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2008, 22:13   #1

Boat: CSY33
Leaking raw water pump

Additional to my other thread on leaking seacock.

The water pump">raw water pump on my Perkins 4-108 is leaking. There is a steady drip from a small hole under the shaft. When I run the engine the drip is stronger, almost a stream.

To be clear about what I am talking about: The pump is typical, maybe Jabsco? The impellor is in a housing the size of a tuna can, mounted on the front of the engine. The front has a speedseal cover. The back has a 1.5-2in shaft housing that has a base that bolts to the engine. Underneath the shaft housing, center, there is a small round hole where the drips originate.

What is likely to be happening here?

FWIW there is water coming out the exhaust, appears to be usual amount, but just guessing.

Thanks for any comments.
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:25   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Sounds like the shaft seal is going. This leak is a tiny amount of water compared to what is being pumped. The hole is to let water out when the seal goes bad. Here is a random Jabsco pump manual that shows a shaft seal replacement procedure. You should find the one for your pump model.

http://www.jabsco.com/files/18370_43000_0155_01_03.pdf

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekka View Post
Additional to my other thread on leaking seacock.

The raw water pump on my Perkins 4-108 is leaking. There is a steady drip from a small hole under the shaft. When I run the engine the drip is stronger, almost a stream.

To be clear about what I am talking about: The pump is typical, maybe Jabsco? The impellor is in a housing the size of a tuna can, mounted on the front of the engine. The front has a speedseal cover. The back has a 1.5-2in shaft housing that has a base that bolts to the engine. Underneath the shaft housing, center, there is a small round hole where the drips originate.

What is likely to be happening here?

FWIW there is water coming out the exhaust, appears to be usual amount, but just guessing.

Thanks for any comments.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 22:26   #3

Doing some reading on old threads suggests this may be a failure of the shaft seals. Or in a worse case, bearings going. (Wonder if that means bearings in the water pump?)

Guess I need to ID the pump on next visit. Maybe take in to a shop for the seals, or consider doing myself. (Always something new to do...)
Old 07-09-2008, 23:28   #4

[Unfortunate that the site does not allow editing after 30 mins.]

Have an ID now: The pump is a Sherwood G65.

Where's a good source for parts at a good price?

cal40john, thanks for the link on procedure.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:30   #5

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Don't know about where cheap parts are, but here are the Sherwood G series assembly/disassembly manuals.

Sherwood Pumps Marine Distribution - References - References

John

Quote:
[Unfortunate that the site does not allow editing after 30 mins.]

Have an ID now: The pump is a Sherwood G65.

Where's a good source for parts at a good price?

cal40john, thanks for the link on procedure.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 08:51   #6

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
You probably can buy a repair kit containing seals and impeller. Check online. Changing the seals in not hard.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 10:06   #7

Thank you, I have the same pump and the same problem. That link was great. Send it to Gord and have him put it with the other manuals.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:40   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Alignment tool?

Unless I am mistaken, I believe one needs an alignment tool when reinstalling the raw water pump in the 4-108. There were several other posts on this subject in earlier threads on the matter that you might want to look up.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 13:33   #9

Interesting to see online new G65 pumps costing from $340 (discountmarinesupplies.com) up to $479...

But one of the more expensive outlets has the cheapest price for a "major repair" kit at $87:
www.pumpagents.com/SherwoodPumps/G65.html

Question: Could I service this w/o removing it from the engine? I have direct access to the front and sides of the engine. the pump is on the front, right side. Would that avoid the possible alignment issue mentioned by svHyLyte?
Old 08-09-2008, 14:51   #10

On the alignment issue. I did the search as suggested and didn't find it. I've taken the G65 off my Perkins several time and have never had a problem. svHyLyte, If you have a link directly to the thread, I'd love to see it. I'm going to check the manual to see what they say. Trekka, I saw the saem deal at pumpagents and will be ordering the rebuild kit soon.I've got to belive that most of the price is in the bronze for the pump body.
Old 08-09-2008, 15:18   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42
The following is excerpted from another discussion:

Quote:
When I was purchasing the boat, my boat yard replaced the raw water pump before the sea trial. They destroyed THREE pumps in the course of two hours before figuring out there is a special procedure to prevent it.

The Perkins WORKSHOP manual states, verbatim:

"Should it be necessary to remove the sea water pump adaptor plate, it must be alighned on refitting by means of the tool shown in Fig. M.4.

To line up the adaptor plate, loosen the holding nuts and insert the tool in the water pump drive position to centralize the adaptor plate to the sea water pump driving shaft. Once the tool is located, the adaptor plate securing nuts should be tightened. The tool can then be removed and the sea water pump fitted.

To cover donditions where a centralizing tools is not available, the following interim measure can be taken.

Loosen the adaptor plate securing nuts so that they just support he weight of the sea water pump.

Rotate the engine two or three turns by hand: this will ensure that the adaptor plate/sea water pump will centralize to the fuel pump gear shaft. Then retighten the aaptor plate securing nuts.

It should be remembered that the latter procedure should only be used as an interim measure as it is not as accurate an alignment when using the tool previously described."

This info is not in the owner's manual, only in the WORKSHOP manual.
Referance to the foregoing alignment is also made in the Jabsco instructions. See Notice on Page 1 and reference on page 2 of http://www.jabsco.com/files/3270_000...bro_flange.pdf

I wish I could be more helpful.

s/v HyLyte
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 16:13   #12

I think I have the answer to the question of align-or-not.

The issue may be whether you just remove the pump,
or,
if you remove the pump and the mounting flange.

Found this: "... the pump mounts with 4 bolts to a flange which mounts with 4 bolts to the engine. If you just take the pump off, everything is OK, but if you loosen the wrong 4 bolts you will need to realign things or the pump drive will rapidly chew itself up."

I found that in an old post here, which I copied but did not save.
It appears to be in sync with the post of Perkins info:
Quote:
"Should it be necessary to remove the sea water pump adaptor plate, it must be alighned on refitting
Old 08-09-2008, 16:15   #13
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Depco Pump Company
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:24   #14

I had a similar problem with a Jabsco pump on a ford diesel....the bearings were worn and the shaft slapped about and destroyed the seals....the chandleries wanted to charge me an arm an a leg....until I found an old salt who said visit

BRT Bearings 240-242 London Road, North End, Portsmouth, PO2 9JQ, England
Telephone: 44 23 9266 9641

They supplied me with bearings and seals for about £10...$20 approx
stephenmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:00   #15

Quote:
I think I have the answer to the question of align-or-not.

The issue may be whether you just remove the pump,
or,
if you remove the pump and the mounting flange.

Found this: "... the pump mounts with 4 bolts to a flange which mounts with 4 bolts to the engine. If you just take the pump off, everything is OK, but if you loosen the wrong 4 bolts you will need to realign things or the pump drive will rapidly chew itself up."

I found that in an old post here, which I copied but did not save.
It appears to be in sync with the post of Perkins info:
This makes sense.

svHyLyte - Thanks for brining the issue to light. I'm confident that I only removed the pump.

Tags
leaks, raw water, raw water pump