Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2022, 08:25   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Leaks & Boat Buying in the Rain

A member remarked yesterday (or so) in a different thread that they like to look at boats in the rain to spot leaks. With all deference to that contributor, I think it worthy to start a thread on that topic alone.

Inspecting a potential buy in the dry, and in the rain, are both beneficial. If I had to pick one, it would be in the rain.

Some anecdotes:

Friends were trying to sell us their boat, which I knew quite well. We looked at it in the dry one day, and below decks looked pretty good. But on a whim a couple days later, we went below again, this time on a rainy day- and there were streaks of dark brown water running down the walls. They must have done a darned good job scrubbing out the stains before, but the fresh rain had entered the deck and pushed out the old, brown water.

Another couple looked at a boat just before we were going to make the drive to do so. They reported that while they were there it was raining, and it leaked like a seive, pouring water inside.

I didn't spend much time looking at the dodger on the boat we bought. With the boat at the dock in home port, we sat under the dodger/ bimini as a storm started- and got soaked! The water poured through the dodger sunbrella like it was made of mesh. The dodger alone later absorbed a full gallon of water repellent...LOL first I went through a small $23 bottle; then another $23 bottle; and finally a full gallon.

Now, for the argument for nice, dry days: we were aboard the boat of my dreams. Looking into the backs of cabinets, I could see brown water actively running down the wall. It had not rained in three weeks. So much for that boat.

Ports and hatches leak on old boats. Well, not our old boat, but our new-old boat, and most others. It's to be expected, a project for post-purchase. When we first looked at the new-old boat, I could see a brown streak on the rear bulkhead, indicating rotten-wood streaming for a long, long time. I figured it was coming from the battery/ tank compartment behind the bulkhead; it took me a couple weeks (and multiple disassemblies and stuffing myself into contorted positions) to figure out it wasn't coming from above/ behind the bulkhead, it was coming from the midship port, streaming under three other ports along the inner shell, taking a turn inward, and dropping out at the lowest point- the middle of the bulkhead.

Inspecting a boat in the rain can reveal leaks, including long-term leaks that have been carefully scrubbed away. Also, leaks that accumulate in cabinets, on counters, etc. We were "fortunate" enough that one of the leaking ports on our new-old boat leaked onto the cushion, staining it, a dead give-away. BUT five other ports also leaked, which wasn't so readily apparent until it rained.

The color of leaking water is very informative. If it's clear, it's just "running in." If it's brown or black, it's coming from saturated wood (this is typically bad.)

In a good storm, one can check the bilge to observed how much water is coming into the boat via leaks and/or bad seals.

So there are some initial thoughts. Hopefully others will chime in with great insights.
Old 05-02-2022, 18:09   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Leaks & Boat Buying in the Rain

Just a comment, nice sunny, warm, T-shirt and shorts weather....just why would a boat be running a de-humidifier?

Rode hard, put away wet too often. Walked away. Boat unsuitable for us, anyway.

But yes, nothing wrong with sunny days, AND rainy days do also have their moments.

Ann

Tags
boat, buying, leaks