Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2017, 10:03   #1

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius
Leaky hatches

I have a few leaky hatches. They are old lewmar and might not be able to find replacement gaskets. Another alternative is to use contact cement wit tubes of foam sold here in Grenada. They are very flexible, round, lengths so very easy to go around the hatch. With one piece. They come in a verity of sizes. I am looking at the 1/4 or 3/8 dia rolls. Has anyone else used this idea and could you give me any advice on what you learned?
I am also going to remove the hatch from the deck and reseal.
Thanks, dave, Aloisius
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:12   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Leaky hatches

The majority of the work in rebidding hatches is the preparation. All old sealant, etc has to be removed.

I rebed mine several years ago using tape from West Marine. I think this is the stuff: https://www.westmarine.com/buy/incom...6?recordNum=35

Very easy to work with, and no leaks since.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:45   #3

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

I used Bed-It butyl tape for all our hatches (and deck fittings) Easy to use, not messy like a polysulfide sealant and seals very well with no leaks. There was some squeeze out over the first few weeks but easy to trim/remove w a razor knife.
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 11:53   #4

What solvent did you find worked well for cleaning the deck in preparation to refit hatch?
Old 14-02-2017, 11:55   #5

Just looked up the tape. Seems to be match easier to apply than 4200 or other similar products.
Old 14-02-2017, 11:56   #6

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
What solvent did you find worked well for cleaning the deck in preparation to refit hatch?
Acetone
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 17:18   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Landonshaw,

If at all possible, can you tell whether it is leaking in from under the hatch or from seal failure -- or both?

If it is only from under, you will not have to McGyver the seal, just re-bed the hatch. When we had to do this, one time, the hatch gasket was fine, it was only the sealant between the frame and the deck that had failed.

Other times, we have gone to a place that sold gasket stock. Don't know if there's one such in Grenada, but we were able to match what we had that way.

Ann
Old 14-02-2017, 17:27   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

If it's an older Lewmar super hatch or ocean hatch, make sure you know exactly where it is leaking from; it can be difficult to tell at times. Best procedure is to have someone point a hose at it, with decent pressure, while you inspect from below.

If you'e certain it's the gasket between the hatch and the deck mounted frame, you can get those for older hatches. Selectplastics.com (aka Hatchmasters) will sell you a kit, I believe, or at least the parts you need. They're very helpful, give them a shout. But in my experience that is not where they leak--usually the sealant between the hatch top and the glazing fails, or between the hatch frame and the deck.

Your gasket solution might work for a period of time, but I think the proper gasket will give you superior performance, as an important part of the seal is the firmness of the gasket and the degree of compression.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 21:55   #9

Thank you for the information. I will call on Wednesday.
Old 14-02-2017, 22:41   #10

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by landonshaw View Post
I have a few leaky hatches. They are old lewmar and might not be able to find replacement gaskets. Another alternative is to use contact cement wit tubes of foam sold here in Grenada. They are very flexible, round, lengths so very easy to go around the hatch. With one piece. They come in a verity of sizes. I am looking at the 1/4 or 3/8 dia rolls. Has anyone else used this idea and could you give me any advice on what you learned?
I am also going to remove the hatch from the deck and reseal.
Thanks, dave, Aloisius
I've used butyl tape sealing hatch to deck and soft neoprene tube as a seal for opening ports where the acrylic window forms one sealing surface and have been happy with the results.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch