Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2012, 20:26   #31

Boat: 223 Starwind
Re: Learning to Weld

Check with your community collages in the area. They often have classes at very reasonable prices. You'll most likely use more materials than the course costs. You can also take a class that is basically "building your project". You furnish the sheet or pipe, they furnish the rod, welders, gas and electric. All with an experienced welder for an instructor to help you out. I did this and made quite a few projects in a 6 week semester.
austinsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:06   #32
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I learned welding from an art collective. They had a ton of classes in various welding and metalworking techniques from non-artist professionals. Also, a very large shop of equipment for just about anything you might want to build.

Another option for you,
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:24   #33

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
OK, I'll bite: Why do you keep 316L electrodes in the fridge?
To keep them from absorbing moisture out of the air. A 60 watt light bulb in the old fridge helps.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:31   #34

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
OK, I'll bite: Why do you keep 316L electrodes in the fridge?
Lol i've always kept all our electrodes in an old fridge with 40watt light bulb in to keep the moisture out of them......
Old 02-09-2012, 09:32   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
To keep them from absorbing moisture out of the air. A 60 watt light bulb in the old fridge helps.
SNAP!!!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:52   #36

Boat: OEM, proportional

Is there any application in the boating world for thermite welding? Such used for joining traintracks.

Was thinking it might be useful for emergency repairs when electrics are not working or too dangerous. Also crossed my mind as a surefire way of cutting thick metal free, such as if my unstayed steel masts get bent by a pitchpole or rollover and are endangering the boat.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:55   #37

In a word NO.....
Old 02-09-2012, 09:59   #38

Good welding is hard, requires a lot of experience because things weld different depending on external conditions etc. Sure you can learn to stick things together at home. Doing a good job is something else. Also, it's a trade that has had a glut of people available in recent years as the work has gone alot overseas. However, there is always work for a great welder. Welding aluminum takes diferent equipment than welding stainless, takes diff equiptment than welding steel.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 15:04   #39

Boat: 320 Catalina and a 16ft Scruffie " Oma Martha"

I am in the middle of modifying my Targa frame and making it wider to become part of the railing. A friend who is pretty good at tig welding got me started and after that I got lots of off-cuts to learn on. I am getting better at it but can tell it takes a lot of practise. I know how to mig and stick weld so that helps. Patients is the trick. Mig welding is much more forgiving. I notice with tig welding you have to make sure your joins are perfect, glasses and helm need to be very clean. Get a comfortable position while welding .
I used to dial up to much power on the TIG but since I slowed down it is getting better.
More welding today and after the Targa frame is finished I make a new Bimini frame.
I like doing it and I think that makes all the difference. If you don't enjoy it get somebody else to do it for you.
Cheers
Reiner
reiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 15:55   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohdrinkboy View Post
So reading all the posts on the costs of fabricating stainless or aluminum pulpits, biminis, etc, it occurs to me that welding might be a good skill to learn.

OK welders, talk to me. How hard is it to do a passable job? Not beautiful, but functional. I'd be happy with a chevy quality job because I'll be sailing a chevy quality boat.
You will be able to do a lot on your boat if you know how to weld. I took welding classes last year and I it was worth it. I was able to do customize my baby. Just think of it as an additional skill you can flaunt.
Starring_James is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
learning