Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2019, 04:40   #46
bmz

Boat: Irwin Citation 34
Re: Leave it in or pull it out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Tell that to Ernest Shackleton.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McClure_Arctic_expedition
bmz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 12:11   #47

Boat: Dufour 382 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithril Bham View Post
I pay half the cost on the hard as I do for a slip here. So many variables.
Our marina (Annapolis) quotes an annual rate for an in-water slip, and you must commit by Nov 1. If you wish to winter on the hard, you pay for the haul-out (and spring splash), plus bracing, plus a monthly fee for monitoring. So you're "paying double" (sort of...) for the winter months.

You can play the odds by letting your slip go when you haul-out, then sign-up for, say, an 8-month rate in the Spring, but you run the very real risk of their being totally full (and not getting a slip for the season).

So I've always left the boat in the water year-round. Yes, I pay "extra" for shrink-wrapping and winterizing in that scenario, too.

Back when I was in the Navy, we had a saying: "Sailors belong on ships, and ships belong at sea." So I tend to leave my sailing vessel in its intended environment -- the sea -- all year.
PaintedKite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2019, 17:01   #48

Boat: Outremer 51, J80

We will be leaving our boat on the hard in the Med from October to March. I was hoping to find a list of tips/considerations beyond in or
out and costs. For example, BoatGalley suggested using cut up stainless scrubbers in Thru-Hulls and Vents to keep creepy, crawly, flying or buggy things out - yet will still let dehumidifier drain and Bilge pump too - and obviously air flow for vents.
Is there a list of To Do's with other helpful ideas? That seems more what OP wanted.
Thanks all,
RELENTLESS 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 05:01   #49

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

A few years ago, I stripped the bottom back to gelcoat and applied two layers of epoxy barrier coat. My boat had no blisters as it had been hauled for winter storage pretty much since new in 1984. I did the epoxy treatment in order to be able to sail year round without worry over blistering.

I understand that hauling out helps the hull dry out which is a benefit. Otherwise, I sense that in-water storage is preferred after all, boats are designed to float.

I observe that freezing rain and snow are likely to damage the boat in or out of the water.

Norm
Cape Cod
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote