Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2010, 14:42   #31

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
LOL....

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2010, 15:25   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
When I read the comment about losing a nail I thought maybe you were a guitar player but it's the other reason for having nails. I have them on one hand only and can often be seen with a glove on one hand and not the other when doing chores. Oh well ... I break them anyway.

To get back on topic ... this is what I use for a vise. They are really handy:
Lee Valley Tools - Important Announcement

As for a workbench, when no-one is looking, ahem, I use the dining table. Not very good really but it works for some things. Tools in various cloth bags behind and under the port side settee.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 07:15   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShipShape View Post
I replaced all the thru-hulls and seacocks a year ago - will I ever need the thru-hull wrench again??? Of course I will, two weeks after I get rid of it.

Most certainly

I have (for example) a front wheel bearing socket for an 83 Blazer. I've never owned such a vehicle, but needed the socket for some forgotten project. Will I get rid of the socket? Not a chance. Having it is protection from ever needing it...
Old 21-09-2010, 08:34   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Healer52 View Post
I have (for example) a front wheel bearing socket for an 83 Blazer. I've never owned such a vehicle, but needed the socket for some forgotten project. Will I get rid of the socket? Not a chance. Having it is protection from ever needing it...
Is that the 1-1/8" socket in 1/2" or more likely 3/4" drive? If so that fits most Ford products I've ever worked on. I think the trucks are bigger (I haven't had to get at the wheel bearings on my F250 yet), but the 1-1/8" worked on my '74 Maverick and '90 Ranger. It also fit on the crank of a big diesel in a slip neighbors boat so we could set the valves - he was very happy I had it!
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 08:55   #35

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
You guys are Tool wimps!...Iv got them all the way to 4 1/2"... Now thats a socket..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 10:41   #36

Boat: 36' custom steel
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
When I read the comment about losing a nail I thought maybe you were a guitar player but it's the other reason for having nails. I have them on one hand only and can often be seen with a glove on one hand and not the other when doing chores. Oh well ... I break them anyway.
I play classical guitar (poorly) and find the salt air has a special affinity for breaking nails. The best solution I've found so far is just learn to play with shorter nails and kept them trimmed.

In additional to developing a fondness for hats on account of disappearing hair, I also am developing a fondness for the Michael Jackson look of wearing one glove.

Back on topic: my boat has a built in tool locker on the side of the companionway. All my guy friends friends love it, and most of the women look at them weird like when they see their guy go gaga over tool storage.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:13   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
Is that the 1-1/8" socket in 1/2" or more likely 3/4" drive? If so that fits most Ford products I've ever worked on. I think the trucks are bigger (I haven't had to get at the wheel bearings on my F250 yet), but the 1-1/8" worked on my '74 Maverick and '90 Ranger. It also fit on the crank of a big diesel in a slip neighbors boat so we could set the valves - he was very happy I had it!
It's about 2 1/2-3" in diameter (I'd have to go dig it out), and half-inch drive. Its for the locking hubs / bearings on a full-size 4x4 Blazer.
Old 21-09-2010, 13:14   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
You guys are Tool wimps!...Iv got them all the way to 4 1/2"... Now thats a socket..

Good ballast, too
Old 21-09-2010, 13:44   #39
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
It's about 2 1/2-3" in diameter (I'd have to go dig it out), and half-inch drive. Its for the locking hubs / bearings on a full-size 4x4 Blazer.
If tools be the male equivalent of shoes - you have 6" friday night stilletos
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 13:49   #40

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
You're going to make go pull the hubs off my truck and go buy another socket aren't you?

2-1/2" is pretty big for 1/2" drive.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2010, 14:55   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If tools be the male equivalent of shoes - you have 6" friday night stilletos

LOL, I got all the bling....some of it from Snap-On (and it's more expensive than my wife's jewelry).

"But honey, we REALLY NEED another 18v battery powered driver-drill! This one is light enough that you can use it!"
Old 21-09-2010, 14:59   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
You're going to make go pull the hubs off my truck and go buy another socket aren't you?

2-1/2" is pretty big for 1/2" drive.
It doesn't really have much torque on it: It's got a couple of tabs on the end that fit into the locknut on the hubs. The end is actually welded on (not forged). But, it still weighs a pound or two.

I rarely use them any more but a friend of mine used to have a military half-track (M3) that we would work on...with 1" sockets. They keep my roll-away from rolling-away.
Old 21-09-2010, 15:30   #43

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
"But honey, we REALLY NEED another 18v battery powered driver-drill! This one is light enough that you can use it!"

with 1" sockets. They keep my roll-away from rolling-away.
LOL
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2010, 08:40   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
LOL

I mean, Lisa LIKES green, and the new one is green.....whats the problem?
Old 11-10-2010, 21:29   #45

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Dana 24
This may be appropriate for it's own thread, but since we are somewhat on the topic of tools, I ask: Cordless or Corded? I'm about to invest in a new set of power tools for the boat. Some tools will be corded no matter what, ie router and finish sander. I live aboard and will be leaving in a year for some extended coastal cruising. Self suffiency and efficiency are top priorities. This means reliable.

Cordless Pros:
Compact and neat (no cables running all over the cabin sole, dock, or deck)
Carry their own power supply (until it runs out)
Adequately powerful
Battery lifespan is quite good

Cordless Negs:
Must carry charger and batteries (Already have charger and huge batteries aboard)
Must eventually replace batteries. This is wasteful and somewhat expensive.
Generally must commit to one brand due to proprietary batteries (in this case Dewalt)

Is it better in terms of simplicity and reliability to go corded? Is an 800w inverter and a couple of deep-cycle marine house batteries adequate to power them? On my 29' boat I'm never far from the inverter or an AC outlet.

Corded can be more powerful, but I've found that modern, high quality, 18v tools are more than adequately powerful for the small(ish) jobs we encounter on board. The prices are comparable as is the apparent durability.

I love the cordless tools I've borrowed and used over the past several years and I'm listing in that direction.

Anyone have any strong reasons to avoid a suite of cordless power tools on a boat?
standardhuman is offline   Reply With Quote