Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2023, 10:56   #1

Boat: 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus
Let's talk deck paint...

I’m planning on repainting the deck of Allie Rose, a 1972 Hallberg Rassy Rasmus. Several areas of the deck's gelcoat are chipping up, exposing raw fiberglass. I’ll post photos this afternoon of her current condition once I'm back at the marina. I appreciate your patience for photos, and the collective wisdom I'm sure many of you will share.

Here’s the steps, and products, I intend to use after the research I've done thus far. I've found many threads on this topic, but nothing which encompasses the process from start. Here's where I'm at with products, and my understanding of the order of steps I plan to take.

1. Use a pressure washer to remove all areas of the gelcoat that are flaking off, until they can't be “chipped” up anymore.
2. Remove all deck fittings that are easily removable, in my case, namely the window flanges on my NFM port lights (the greatest purchase I've ever made in terms of function, beauty, and overall fitness of the vessel).
3. Use fairing compound to build up any areas of exposed fiberglass to a smooth finish.
4. Sand the entirety of the non-skid areas of the deck with 60 grit sandpaper, primarily with my 6" orbital sander. Doesn’t need to be perfect.
5. Sand the entirety of the smooth areas of the gelcoat with 120 grit (80 grit if I need to get it flat, followed by 120). I may go all the way to 220.
6. Give the deck a final wash with Simple Green to remove sanding dust and other debris, and thereafter apply a "dewaxer". Product TBD. May just use acetone and lint free rag.
7. Roll on coat 1 of PrimeKote to all smooth areas
8. Sand PrimeKote with 220.
9. Roll on coat 2 of PrimeKote to all smooth areas and sand thereafter with 330
10. Repeat step 9.
11. Apply top coat via roll and tip method using 1/4” short nap mohair roller. Top coat I'm planning on using is Alexseal close white w/ roll additive.
12. Tape off all freshly painted Alexseal areas in preperation of paint for non-skid.
13. Roll on kiwiGrip non skid (Likely, light grey; I'm estimating through my calculations that I'll need 7 liters, so I plan on purchasing 2 gallons. It comes in bags now).
14. Refit and re-bed deck fittings as applicable.
15. Post pictures of final product to CruisersForum to show that Allie Rose is one of the most pampered vessels in the SE.
SV Allie Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 11:25   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Let's talk deck paint...

When I paint the deck of my 1974 Bristol 27, I sweep it off first then apply some EZ-POXY non skid.

Done!

The paint was about $65.00
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 12:32   #3

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Just use your favourite glossy paint to the "smooth" areas and then kiwigrip for the nonskid. Simple and effective
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 18:05   #4

Right idea to use a pressure washer, 120 grit sand paper, and fairing compound to clean up the flaking bits of gelcoat?
Old 23-03-2023, 19:05   #5

Boat: Alberg 35

I want to paint the deck of my Alberg 35, so I'm following this closely. I have the same issue with some exposed areas..some hairline cracks... wondering how to estimate how much paint?
s/v Pendragon Alberg 35 #175
Pendragon35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 20:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon35 View Post
I want to paint the deck of my Alberg 35, so I'm following this closely. I have the same issue with some exposed areas..some hairline cracks... wondering how to estimate how much paint?
I'll be sure to post photos once I start. As for paint - 2 gallons of kiwi grip for the non skid areas should be plenty. Others with similar 35' Albergs and Rasmus have shared they use 7 liters. It comes in 4 liter kits, with 4 individual liter bags therein. That's perfect - allows you to CAREFULLY store the one extra bag for any touchup that may be needed 12-24 months down the road.

No clue about the "smooth" areas - but I'll keep you posted once I have photos and have made progress on this project.
Old 23-03-2023, 20:26   #7

Boat: 1967 Pearson 35

I would put step 3 where step 5 is
Cyrus Safdari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, paint