Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2021, 11:20   #106

Boat: Spindrift 43
Re: Let's Talk Hull Painting

I’ve seen a couple boats down here with Poliglow- some good, some not good. It stands to reason (as with anything else) that it would take some maintenance under the intense UV we get down here. Those who didn’t keep up with it have boats that are peeling like a sunburn.

My guy mentioned laying a primer coat down over the weekend, and sure enough, it’s primed! It already looks like a new boat; it’s hard to imagine that it only gets better from here. It’ll cure for a week of so before he puts on the next coat. He’s going to do a few coats of the white and navy, followed by a few clear coats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	472DCDDA-6C2A-4F57-8F46-DA673FB1AE9F.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	445.2 KB
ID:	239901   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C1068AE-7A77-43EE-A676-9DAEAA96FE79.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	420.4 KB
ID:	239902  

Name:	AE579FEC-636E-459D-9BD7-379987B74960.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	239903  
Creedence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 11:46   #107
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Man your pictures! Not a single one is right side up

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2021, 12:13   #108

*Insert well-worn Australia joke here*

I’ve no idea why they post like that, I’m making these entries at the yard using my phone, and they’re the correct orientation in my image files.

Very odd. Barring some extraordinarily revelation about posting techniques from my phone, I’d unfortunately assume the remainder are also going to be annoyingly oriented.
Old 07-06-2021, 14:14   #109
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Looks great, so far!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 14:41   #110

Shortly after my last pictures, a guide coat was put on the hull, another round of fairing any remaining imperfections was done, and it was hand sanded one final time.

I’m going to wait until the hardware on the hull is reinstalled and the bottom job is done before posting the finished product, but here are a couple close-ups of the finish that resulted from all the hard work:

(And again, the images are getting flipped when uploaded from my phone. Annoying, but the finished product shot will be correct- come hell or high water)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B797CEFA-EBB3-424A-B0F8-584D0C7AD401.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	399.9 KB
ID:	240911   Click image for larger version

Name:	84EAB5D7-5BBB-40DF-8AFF-BBDBA1E4D03E.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	427.2 KB
ID:	240912  

Old 23-06-2021, 15:23   #111

Oooo Creedence!!!!

GORgeous! Two cents to talk to you from now on...

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 15:49   #112
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

That is wonderful! You must be very pleased!
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2021, 18:50   #113

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
*Insert well-worn Australia joke here*

I’ve no idea why they post like that, I’m making these entries at the yard using my phone, and they’re the correct orientation in my image files.

Very odd. Barring some extraordinarily revelation about posting techniques from my phone, I’d unfortunately assume the remainder are also going to be annoyingly oriented.
The reason is that some "clever" programmer somewhere decided to read the meta data for the photos and show them right side up on the phone (probably got some recognition or a bonus for his/her cleverness), but the photos still were uploaded in their original orientation. Our CF web page is not so clever.

Comes with using a phone instead of a computer. In the last twenty years we've lost a lot of computer competence to the AI crowd, who are a little silly at times.
Old 23-06-2021, 19:23   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
The reason is that some "clever" programmer somewhere decided to read the meta data for the photos and show them right side up on the phone (probably got some recognition or a bonus for his/her cleverness), but the photos still were uploaded in their original orientation. Our CF web page is not so clever.

Comes with using a phone instead of a computer. In the last twenty years we've lost a lot of computer competence to the AI crowd, who are a little silly at times.

An odd little glitch to be sure, but the “hero shot” is going to get uploaded from the computer- lord knows I’m paying enough for the finished product, might as well make sure it’s well presented!
Old 23-06-2021, 19:27   #115

Thanks SuW and LW! It has been a long haul out to be sure, but seeing it in the yard the day after it had been painted definitely made the wait worth it.

The annoying thing is he set the bar unrealistically high for me refinishing the deck and coach roof. I was hoping to roll and tip that, but at this point I think I may have to bite the bullet and have him do the paint once I’ve had a few months to do what prep work I can. That’s going to be a significant thread of its own at some point.

But the priority now is to get this thing on the water and try to enjoy some time on it! (Once the rest of the haul out work is done of course)
Old 24-06-2021, 05:19   #116

Quote:

Creedence,

Have you tried taking the photos "upside-down" on your phone, then posting...?

Wonder if that might work?

She still looks damn beautiful, no matter the pictures' orientation...
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 05:58   #117

Boat: Antares 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Two stories.

15 years ago a dock neighbor painted their Amel using one part paint. They were a fastidious couple and spent the entire summer of evenings and weekends doing the work. I bumped into them 2 years ago and the boat still looked fantastic.

I just had my 1970 Willard 36 painted - hull and topside. I went with AlexSeal, which is comparable to Awlcraft. Both are formulations where color is deeper through the finish and thus can be more easily repaired, though awlgrip has a more brilliant sheen.

I live in St Pete and considered Tampa Bay area yards. At the time, the boat was in San Francisco so question was do I ship it here where I can project manage the work, or have it done I. Mexico. I could not find a Tampa yard that would cut me even a tiny bit of slack on a major refit so opted for Mexico. It's worked out just fine and the savings were good

I can't speak to prices. Frankly, no one would quote a per foot price so in not sure where that comes from. They would give a budgetary price that went out the window when they saw the boat. I can't see your pics on my phone, but my sense is that unless the hull is in very good condition, tossing around general numbers might be a disappointment.

Good luck

Peter Attachment 223040
Where in Mexico did you have your job done? Am in Mexico now and looking for a yard to do both topsides and bottom around October. Thanks!
CaptainMarkS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2022, 06:17   #118

Quote:
I’ve seen a couple boats down here with Poliglow- some good, some not good. It stands to reason (as with anything else) that it would take some maintenance under the intense UV we get down here. Those who didn’t keep up with it have boats that are peeling like a sunburn.

My guy mentioned laying a primer coat down over the weekend, and sure enough, it’s primed! It already looks like a new boat; it’s hard to imagine that it only gets better from here. It’ll cure for a week of so before he puts on the next coat. He’s going to do a few coats of the white and navy, followed by a few clear coats.
I advise against PoliGlow for hulls! I tried and regretted the decision. In my controlled experiment, I treated one hull with regular wax, and the other with PoliGlow. The first few weeks were amazing, especially the sheen. After only five months there was grey streaking (see photo). I needed to remove with ammonia cleaner, then strip and wax, a process which resulted in a shoulder injury. Must be some interaction with salt water. Having said that, I still love PoliGlow for the decks.
Old 24-02-2022, 07:21   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Selawry View Post
Where in Mexico did you have your job done? Am in Mexico now and looking for a yard to do both topsides and bottom around October. Thanks!
I started with Niza Marine in Ensenada MX. DO NOT USE NIZA FOR ANYTHING!!!! The main guy speaks good English but is clueless and has run-off all sensible labor so is left with any talent whatsover.

I am finishing-up with LaCosta Boatworks. Not perfect, but acceptable. PM me if interested and I can put you in touch with Guillermo.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 19:55   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I started with Niza Marine in Ensenada MX. DO NOT USE NIZA FOR ANYTHING!!!! The main guy speaks good English but is clueless and has run-off all sensible labor so is left with any talent whatsover.

I am finishing-up with LaCosta Boatworks. Not perfect, but acceptable. PM me if interested and I can put you in touch with Guillermo.

Peter
Thanks, Peter! I've been in touch with Guillermo. They currently cannot accommodate my beam of 21'9". He said they will have a new lift dock constructed but not in the near future.

Tags
hull, paint, hull paint