Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2006, 14:23   #1

Boat: Beneteau 46 Sol Y Mar
Lewmar Hatch leaks

I have a Beneteau that has Lewmar hatchs that leak. These hatchs are gray and have 2 or 4 handles that turn into a into a track at the bottom of the hatch. Since there are so many Beneteaus out there, I am sure others have had the problem. How did you solve it?
SolyMar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2006, 14:54   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Paco,

Why is the hatch leaking? Is it a gasket, is the lens cracked, is the hatch frame bent, are the handles loose? Not trying to be difficult but each problem requires a different fix. I have found Lewmar very helpful with hatch problems on Beneteaus. The difficulty is that Lewmar makes or has made so many different types it is hard to get an answer out of them without e-mailing them photos. Stan Walton (swalton@lewmarusa.com) at Lewmar would be able to sort out your problem but you have to tell them the model of the hatch. From a recent experience I have found that even Beneteau has a hard time determining which hatch they installed on what boat. Lewmar claims they all have identifying numbers on them (the number is on the edge of the lens) but sometimes you have to remove the frame and gasket to find the number.

From your post ( having four handles) it sounds more like ports rather than hatches. If they're Lewmar ports, the cause of the leak is usually the little bit of silicone sealer in the middle of the frame around the lens. Pick it all out ( I use one of those picks dentists use) and put new silicone in.
Old 17-08-2006, 15:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau 46 Sol Y Mar
Rick, thanks for the quick reply. I went to Lewmar's website, and it tried to help identify where the leak my be coming from and did not give any details on how to fix the problem.
I have heard about the split frame fix and will try that next. We had a heck of a storm here in FL last night (4am) and I took off the inside frames trying to indentfy the incursion. Yes, I was acutally talking ports, not hatches.
I still have not found an identifying number, but the port that is shown in the Beneteau owners web site is the one that I have.
Thanks again
Pat
SolyMar46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2006, 08:44   #4
cruiser

Hatch (and port) leaks are pretty simple, when it comes down to it. Just determine if the rubber gasket that makes the seal between the movable part and the frame is leaking, or if the area that the frame touches the hull is leaking. Unless you broke the plastic (or metal), there really aren't any other possibilities.

If the gasket is leaking, try re-setting it, or ordering a new one and setting that one in place. If the frame-to-hull connection is leaking, there is no other choice but to take out every screw, take off the entire hatch/port, clean both contact surfaces perfectly, and re-bed using silicone! (My personal preference, and the only bedding material that doesn't voide the warranty of my own ports) It flexes like crazy and creats quite a seal.

Once you've done this repair once, you'll be very comfortable doing it again, as all boats require this type of maintenance over the years.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2014, 11:37   #5

Boat: Catalina 380
Re: Lewmar Hatch leaks

Silicone and boats... Stay away.
capacolla is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, lewmar