Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2009, 11:46   #16

Boat: Island Packet 38
Anyone know the thickness of the acrylic and the color for Lewmar Ocean hatches made in 1988. I am a glazier and comfortable doing the refit, but I would like to have the plastic on hand and cut to size before I rip the old ones out. thanks.
artfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 20:46   #17

Boat: T Jason / FV Karen Lee
Lewmar Hatch lens thickness.

Artfem

If your hatches are indeed circa 1988 Lewmar, they would be the Superhatch model. Superhatch accepts 12mm thick cast acrylic. While you have the hatch apart remember to change the bottom seal. This seal is not replaceable once the lens is installed. DO NOT USE 5200.

Good luck

Tony "Hatchmaster" D'Andrea
Hatchmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 23:50   #18

Boat: Jeanneau Sunkiss 47
If you have any questions on the thickness of the hatches, you can take off a handle and measure them. If you plan on putting new lenses on the metal hatch it is easy as long as you do the proper prep work.

We have replaced hundreds of them. We remove the glass, remove 99% of the old caulk, electric wire brush the rest. Then after the plastic shop duplicates the old one we lay it in the hatch and mark where we want to cut the paper (about 1/2 .inch on the inside) (That acts as the tape on the glass.) Then we tape off the hatch very carefully. Then we sand the frame and the acrylic where they will touch.

Now its time for the sealant. Very few work. 5200 does not! Dow 795 and GE Silproof 2000 are two that do work. Both of these are available from local builders outlets that sell construction adhesives. Available in colors, altough we mainly use black. Lay a good bead down, lay the lense on top and then fill the gap with the sealant.

Keep LOTS of vinyl gloves (or latex, but we like vinyl) available and change them when they get messy. Keeps the job much neater. If you run your finger nail (with glove on) on the edge of the tape, it ,makes it easier to remove the tape later as it is thinner and very little bonding there. Finally if an area is screwed up, wet your finger and you can smooth it out. But keep the finger wet.
HorizonMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 09:29   #19
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
In any case, these old cast hatches are definitely worth rebuilding because replacements can sometimes mean double the price of repair. You could replace with cheaper hatches but then you would have cheap hatches.
Old 09-04-2009, 22:58   #20

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamaphone View Post
Or of course, you can send them into a hatch manufacturer such as myself at Atkins & Hoyle Ltd. and use our Certified Hatch Repair Service.

In any case, these old cast hatches are definitely worth rebuilding because replacements can sometimes mean double the price of repair. You could replace with cheaper hatches but then you would have cheap hatches.

Actually thats not completly true. I asked Atkins Hoyle about rebuilding my old Atkins hatches for my Endeavour. The cost was almost the cost of a new Lemar ocean hatch at defender. New found metals is about to release hatches in the same size range and should be more modestly priced. New atkins hatches are priced high. Then there is the price of shipping it back and forth.
In the end I believe new is a better option for me, although I have not made my mind up yet.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:20   #21
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobfnbw View Post
Actually thats not completly true.
Our hatches are sometimes more expensive than other products. The company's that you suggested use extruded acrylic and have less of a reputation for quality than Atkins & Hoyle hatches. What I said was true, repairing an old Atkins & Hoyle hatch is better than buying a new cheap hatch. The cheap hatch is going to have to be replaced or repaired many times before any repair of an A+H hatch is needed.

There is also the vast difference between a Lewmar Ocean hatch and an Atkins & Hoyle Offshore hatch. These days, (as far as I know) all Lewmar hatches use both extruded acrylic and extruded aluminum which are much less expensive and will not hold up in the marine environment.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:25   #22

Lewmar Hatches.

Just to help clear up the confusion...

While Lewmar hatches are indeed manufactured using extruded aluminum, testing and manufacturing methods are applied to all products to ensure performance, including adhesive testing, ISO and the European Recreational Craft directive tests, along with several Lewmar in-house quality checks. . Lewmar Superhatch, Rollstop and Ocean hatches (what I refer to as the Blue-water series) have been produced for 25 years with an eye toward consistency, quality and safety .

Improvements are implemented as technology changes. Each change is made to increase the ease of use, durability and safety of the products. Not all manufactures invest this kind of time and resources in to R&D.

Lewmar Marine Ltd only uses the finest marine grade cast acrylic available. NO extruded acrylic is used on any deck hatch ever.

The quality of Lewmar product is apparent to the worldwide boating community. Could the best boat builders in the world be wrong?

This post should not be viewed as an advertisement for Lewmar.

Has Lewmar ever made a mistake? absolutely. Have they ever had a design problem? sure. The thing that impresses me is that the folks within Lewmar solicit input from the professionals and make changes based on the positive contributions of folks like you and I. Change may come slow, but it does indeed come.

My purpose is to bring forth accurate, unbiased information for the members to consider. I feel that I must set the record straight once and for all that Lewmar does not use extruded acrylic in its lenses and that cast or amalgam frames while used by companies such as Goiot, Bomar and Atkins Hoyle, should not be viewed as the only or best way to build a hatch. Load testing and empirical data just doesn't indicate that cast is substantially better than a high quality extruded product.

As for hatch rebuilding:::

Check into other hatch re-builders. Costs vary for a variety of reasons. Check with ABYC or NMMA for additional sources. Deal with a reputable company that offers you a written warranty. Look around. You may be surprised at what you find.

Take a look at the enclosed photo. Does that look like a cheap hatch to you? I am afraid I must disagree with the previous post and state that Lewmar hatches are designed and built to a very high standard. Each hatch will hold up to the marine environment at least as long as the cast hatches maybe longer.

Rules of this forum prohibit me from explaining exactly how I know this, but dig around a little and it will become clear.

Not all hatches are created equal. Ask questions, contact the manufacturers, ask which builder uses what hatch. Contact the builders, check the websites and forums. Its your boat. Question the experts, remember you deserve the best!

Tony "Hatchmasters" D'Andrea
Old 10-04-2009, 20:53   #23

Boat: islandpacket
what photo?
Old 11-04-2009, 07:20   #24

Lewmar Hatches.

.Lewmar Marine Ltd only uses the finest marine grade cast acrylic available. NO extruded acrylic is used on any deck hatch ever.

Take a look at the enclosed photo. Does that look like a cheap hatch to you? I am afraid I must disagree with the previous post and state that Lewmar hatches are designed and built to a very high standard. Each hatch will hold up to the marine environment at least as long as the cast hatches, maybe longer.

Sorry Photo attached.

Thanks Tony
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lewmar ocean.jpg
Views:	1009
Size:	501.8 KB
ID:	7767  
Old 13-04-2009, 00:50   #25

Boat: Swanson 38" 'SWANSONG 1'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamaphone View Post
If they are the cast frame variety I can definitely help you with this. It will always be cheaper to repair than buy new. We usually quote about half the price of a new hatch to repair an old one back to good condition. A good hatch repair shop will also give you a guarantee against leaks so its just as good as new. If you need more info send me a PM or check out my profile.

I have bought a Swanson 38' in Pittwater, Sydney, Australia, with Pasport Hatches (not built anymore; no spares). Does anybody know of somebody in Sydney Northern Beaches who can replace the transparent panes?
Cannot find Lewmar hatches that fit.
Thanks

Paolo
Paolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 00:08   #26

Boat: samson c-shell
paolo hi ,polymer engineering in by the sea rd mona vale will cut cast acrylic to your measurments . they have done boat windows for me . hope this helps.
Old 25-04-2009, 08:10   #27

Boat: Roberts 45 Mariah's Child
Ok Hatch Pro's here's your challenge! Which brand do you like best for heavy duty off shore cruising boats? Stated another way, which company gives you the most bang for the buck when it comes to purchasing new off shore quality hatches?

Regards,

TJ
Old 25-04-2009, 08:16   #28

Boat: Islander 36
Hatchmaster,

Sent you a PM
Old 25-04-2009, 16:30   #29

Boat: boatless atm
Send a message via MSN to bobfnbw
After looking at some lewmar hatches and comparing them to my Atkins Hoyle, I have a change of mind. One of the things that bothers me about many of todays new hatches are the fact that the hardware goes thru the acrylic. This IMO must weaken the acrylic some. And when you look at the above picture of a lewmar, I also notice that the hinge as well as the dog is thru the acrylic. So if the acrylic breaks, the hatch is useless.
With the atkins the hinge and dogs are part of the frame. And so when/if the acrylic should be damaged, one can put in a sheet of plywood until a proper repair is made. While maybe not a huge thing, it matters.
I looked at the Goiot hatches as well, and they are the same.
So perhaps the extra price is worth it as the Atkins hatches I have are very well built, Just old.
bobfnbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 20:30   #30

Boat: islandpacket
I have Lewmar #10 and #30 Ocean hatches and the lenses are really crazed, the handles dont work smoothly and are missing some latch flanges. I am leaning towards new replacement hatches. I figure that with lens replacement, up dated handles, new latch lock flanges and a new gasket Its got to be close to new cost. I would rather have them and replace one by one as I can as apposed to taking them all out, Rigging something to weather proof the opening, shipping them off and waiting for them to return.

So my real question, are the new Lemar hatches a direct replacement to the 20 year old ones? Also is there a better one that would fit the same hole? Any body ever change brands of hatches?

Many Thanks, Alan

Tags
lewmar