Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 11:38   #1
ub1

Boat: 45' leopard cat
Lewmar Hatches

Does anyone know a good company to deal with for rebuild kits for lewmar hatches? or is it cheaper and better just to replace them, they are 1998. Also perko parts, the big chains are about useless
ub1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 13:08   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
If they are the cast frame variety I can definitely help you with this. It will always be cheaper to repair than buy new. We usually quote about half the price of a new hatch to repair an old one back to good condition. A good hatch repair shop will also give you a guarantee against leaks so its just as good as new. If you need more info send me a PM or check out my profile.
Old 24-07-2008, 13:30   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Perko parts - where to buy:
PERKO Inc.

A Google of < Perko Parts > will also return a bunch of "virtual" chandler's.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 14:48   #4

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I replaced my main hatches (20" x 20") recently. During the process of research and purchase, many people told me that it really isn't worth "reconditioning" old hatches. Unless you have access to good vacuum facilities you just don't get a good enough seal on the new glass (polycarbonate / lexan / plexiglass, whatever), and it ends up costing not a huge amount less than new hatches, but without the new hatch warranty.

I wanted to get Lewmar Offshore hatches, but in the end, got Maxwell Weaver, which carrier all the same ratings and approvals as the Lewmars but were about 2/3 of the price. Your mileage may, of course, vary.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 15:58   #5

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
i replaced the plastic in mine, was pretty easy and ended up costing me like $90 out the door for the big ones. I just went to a local plastic place and they made them.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 18:20   #6

Boat: Outbound 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamaphone View Post
If they are the cast frame variety I can definitely help you with this. It will always be cheaper to repair than buy new. We usually quote about half the price of a new hatch to repair an old one back to good condition. A good hatch repair shop will also give you a guarantee against leaks so its just as good as new. If you need more info send me a PM or check out my profile.
Are Lewmar Offshore hatches cast frame?

Paul L
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 19:36   #7

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
What needs replacing? You can buy replacement gaskets from Lewmar. If the plastic needs replacement it is easier to buy new lids than to try to replace the plastic and get a good seal. Still cheaper than buying an entire new hatch.
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 10:31   #8
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Are Lewmar Offshore hatches cast frame?

Paul L

Yes, I believe they are, though I think some Lewmar hatches are extruded.

Weyalan, I think you may have been tricked into buying new hatches. Unless there is structural damage such as a bent frame, a shop outfitted with the proper materials is able to give old hatches new light. No vacuum facilities are required, just the right chemicals and techniques.

Also, if your dealing with a good repair shop that specializes in hatch repairs, they will often give you a warranty just like new hatches. For example, our shop stamps a 1 year Warranty on all of our Hatch Repairs. The cost savings versus a new hatch can be considerable as we often quote about half the price of a new hatch for a repair AND include a 1-year Warranty. The conclusion is that hatch repairs should be considered a good way to extend the life of your hatches for at least another 10 years.

I have had hatches come in that we repaired 12 years earlier and are now being repaired again. That means that the original installation of the hatches was done in the late 1970s, they were repaired in the 90s and then again today. That would be THREE sets of new hatches in 30 years! Whereas with proper repairs, the ONE set lasts for the lifetime of the boat owner. In any case, the warranty held up and I wouldn`t be surprised to see a fourth generation of repairs in another 10 years.

Barring failure of the castings or other terminal damages, people should seriously consider getting their old hatches refurbished. Almag-35 castings last a lot longer than the plastic used to make the lens. Replacing just the plastic is not only a great way to save money and time on installation, but is also the environmentally friendly option! Reduce, REUSE, Recycle!
Old 28-07-2008, 10:39   #9
CF Adviser

Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Actually, the recent Lewmar Hatches are extruded and not cast. The new offshore hatches have an owner replacable lens with the lid in two pieces that can be unbolted to install a new lens and gasket. In my opinion, some hatches are worth replacing - certainly, the Moonlight hatches that came on my boat (circa 1994, but the new seem no better) have flimsy plastic/aluminum latches and struts that caused me to upgrade.

Brad
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2008, 13:05   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Star View Post
Lewmar Hatches are extruded and not cast.
Good info, important to keep this mind.
Old 30-07-2008, 08:45   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch
If you are going to rebuild some Lewmar Ocean hatches (vintage 1985) I just replaced my size 20, 30 and 40 hatches. I'll sell them for cheap, so you can either put my lids on while you send out yours, or visa-versa.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2009, 21:06   #12

Boat: T Jason / FV Karen Lee
I have been involved in hatch manufacture and re-build since 1979. Lewmar, Goiot, Gebo, Hood, Manship, Vetus, Moonlite, Bsi, Bomar (cast) and Atkins Hoyle hatches and portlights are defiantly worth re-building.

As previously mentioned dealing with a reputable hatch repair facility is the key. I would suggest contacting the manufacturer of your hatches and asking them where to get a re-build or refurbishment. Google hatch repair. You will find certain companies stand out on these lists.

Demand OEM parts, seals, gaskets and lenses produced from marine grade acrylic in the color you need (yes Beneteau owners the 1980's bronze and the 1990's thru 2007 Green is still availible). Ask for referances. Ask if the sealing method is in accordance with CE, ABYC and Lloyds guidlines. Educate yourself, ask questions, check the referances. Empower yourself to make the best decision you can. The price from a good shop should be less than 50% of a new hatch including installation.

Its your money, make it work for you.

Reponsible boating demands that we repair, reuse and recycle.

Tony "Hatchmaster" D"Andrea
Hatchmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 13:27   #13

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Lemar hatches

Have to replace the inside plastic handles on my lemar ocean hatches handle has red locking lever need 2 left and 2 right handed ,local witworths said can only order complete handle kit at $69 each reckon the handle alones worth $10 tops anyone know if available.Thanks Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2009, 15:10   #14

As far as I know Lewmar only do the whole internal handle assembly as a standard spare part. However, you may find that your Australian Lewmar subsidiary (Lewmar Navtec Australasia Pty. Ltd. I believe, in NSW) may have loose odd spare bits lying around so I would try them just in case.

I have had one of the red tabs fail myself but fortunately have a hatch which has external locking and no need of being locked from inside the boat - so I've scavanged the red tabs from that.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 14:34   #15

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Tried there no luck,anyone know a spares place I can contact.Thanks Geoff.
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar