Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2019, 19:09   #1

Boat: Dufour 455 GL
Question Lewmar "medium profile" hatch lid on "low profile" base?

Is it possible to fit the lid of a "medium profile" Lewmar hatch to an existing "low profile" base?

My size 60 low profile lazarette hatch lid is quite badly corroded, as I discovered when I attempted to change the seal yesterday. From the outside it looks alright, but inside the slot in the lid that the acrylic slides into there in a substantial amout of pitting. In places it looks like Swiss cheese.

I have always been concerned by the 8mm thinness of the acrylic on such a relatively large hatch. It flexes quite a bit when stepped on, and although I always avoid stepping on it I don't want to feel like I could end up in the lazarette by accident!

The corroded lid needs replacing, but rather than buy another too-thin low profile lid I would prefer to fit a medium profile, if it is possible to use the existing base. Ripping out the factory-installed base, which is seemingly still in good condition, does not seem a good idea.

Can a medium profile lid fit a low profile base? If not, are the bolt holes compatible, or would I need to re-drill the deck in order to swap over to a medium profile base?

Thanks for all info.
LongRange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 19:27   #2

Boat: no boat any more
Re: Lewmar "medium profile" hatch lid on "low profile" base?

Lid will cost nearly as much as complete hatch
Old 11-09-2019, 20:34   #3

Boat: Catalina 320

I've replaced size 44's using medium profile and the screw holes all lined up, it's actually a PITA to take apart the hinges and I've managed to break a few in the process. The bases were just screwed down with #6 screws, perhaps yours are mounted otherwise ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 20:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
Lid will cost nearly as much as complete hatch
Thanks. Yes, the pricing is a bit odd that way.

My goal would be to reuse the existing base, if it is compatible. Lewmar's documents don't seem to mention anything.

If I cannot reuse the existing base, but the bolt hole pattern is the same, I would think about replacing the entire hatch. Otherwise, if new holes have to be drilled, it seems like a job that's too big, and I will probably get another low profile lid.
Old 12-09-2019, 03:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

You might ask Lewmar.
Lewmar:
UK Tel: (0)23 9247 1841
US Tel: 203-458-6200
For General enquiries contact your local dealer here: https://www.lewmar.com/distributor
For Technical enquiries, please email techsupport@lewmar.com
For US Technical enquiries, please email ustechsupport@lewmar.com

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 03:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif.Ted View Post
I've replaced size 44's using medium profile and the screw holes all lined up, it's actually a PITA to take apart the hinges and I've managed to break a few in the process. The bases were just screwed down with #6 screws, perhaps yours are mounted otherwise ?
Thanks, the fact that the holes line up is great to know.

I don't suppose you recall whether the medium bases were visibly thicker, or whether all the extra alloy is in the lid?

The base of my hatch is through-bolted, and the bolts should be easy to undo. It's the waterproofing that scares me a little, because I am inexperienced with that kind of work. If it pans out, I might upgrade the 44s above my front cabin as well. Thicker acrylic would be great.
Old 12-09-2019, 04:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
You might ask Lewmar.
Lewmar:
UK Tel: (0)23 9247 1841
US Tel: 203-458-6200
For General enquiries contact your local dealer here: https://www.lewmar.com/distributor
For Technical enquiries, please email techsupport@lewmar.com
For US Technical enquiries, please email ustechsupport@lewmar.com
Thanks Gord. I sent them an email last night. If they respond I will mention the technical details here, in case it's of use to others in the future.

Tags
hatch, lewmar