Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-12-2013, 14:10   #1

Boat: IP 40
Lewmar Ocean Hatch - Assistance Sought

Dear all

We are replacing the polycarbonate in our hatches.

Re the dual hinge hatches (I have two on board) - one has perspex measuring 530 mm square, the other is 510 mm * 380 mm. They are new from 1997 when the boat was built.
I have endeavoured to remove the 3/16 th rod that forms the connection / pivot point for the hinge and I think I have made a big mistake. I have used a punch to push the rod towards the centre of each hatch. After there was no further movement, I have realised there was an opening for each rod under the hatch lid (opening approx half inch diameter), where I somehow should have got a lever to 'force' the rod outwards (ie) away from the centre..... and then somehow pulled the rod out. The current situation is that the rod is clearly visible and hard against (or into) the inner side of the aluminium cavity (that is the approx half inch opening).

So, I now have two hatches that are held in place with each hinge working at about 50% effectiveness.

I am sure someone else out there has done a similar boo boo, and is smarter than me to work this out.

Single hinge hatches:

On a related matter, we have 3 of the small (270 mm square perspex) hatches. Same age as the above - I have easily removed two of them, but the hinge pin in the third hatch has remained steadfast. I have used lots of lubricant over about 5 days (RP7, its a bit like WD40), but it remains connected.

Again, I would really welcome your suggestions.

Many thanks in anticipation of your assistance.

Kind Regards
barney1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2013, 14:27   #2

Re: Lewmar Ocean Hatch - Assistance Sought

Try using Plus Gas Plus Gas: Other Garage Equipment & Tools | eBay
Its a pro product dismantling fluid, unlike WD40 which is used for WaterDisplacement
tayana55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2013, 17:01   #3

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Re: Lewmar Ocean Hatch - Assistance Sought

Barney, try hatchmasters.com. They should be able to help you out. Also, unless you keep them covered, polycarbonate isn't the material of choice, I believe. It degrades quickly with UV, and it scratches much easier than cast acrylic. Hatchmasters prefers cast acrylic.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, lewmar