Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2018, 10:50   #1

Boat: Eastward ho 24, Downeaster 32, scarab sprint 18
Lewmar ocean series 70 hatch quality? And opening direction?

I’ve installed 2 lewmar ocean series 00 hatches they are nice and small and seem well built. So during my refit like so many projects before it one project leads to another and one project is put on hold in leiu of another. Looks like I’m gonna be recoreing my whole coach roof. My fwd hatch is a home made piece 22”x22” wooden frame with 3/8 plexi or lexan on top. During my recore I’m gonna be tossing it and putting in a lewmar ocean 60 or 70. Looks like the 70 has 3 hinges and the 60 has 2? All the pics I can find are generic ocean series hatches none seem to be specifically of the 70. Does any one have a 70 and does the 3 hinges on the 70 make it more robust? If not I’d like to save the $ and just get the 60, but Looks like bomar 100 series hatches are pretty serious! and seriously expensive! So if crossing oceans were in ones future would you guys\ gals be comfortable with the lewmar ocean series hatches? I was thinking a proper hatch should be; robust and able to be used as an escape hatch and be walked on or “ fell upon”. Can you walk on such a big hatch (ocean 60r 70)? And lastly would I be better off with the hinges fwd so it opens aft or vice versa?
Eastward ho 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2018, 23:00   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Lewmar ocean series 70 hatch quality? And opening direction?

There's some reviews here

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewma...24_720_002_005

People seem to be happy with them.

I've installed my for'd hatch with the hinges aft (toward the stern) and the hatch on aft cabin the other way around.
https://www.google.com.au/search?ei=...30.Jr67_9fWvcE

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hatch, lewmar