Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2015, 09:21   #1
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington
Lid insulation for refrigerator

I have a refrig and freezer. I have replaced the foam type stripping on the lids. It seems to end up with gaps at the corners or junctions or pulls loose. I read about someone using silicone to make a seal. They put down a line of silicone, covered it with wax paper and then closed the lid to attempt to make a form fitted gasket.
I am open for ideas and suggestions.
RDW
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 09:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Lid insulation for refrigerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
I have a refrig and freezer. I have replaced the foam type stripping on the lids. It seems to end up with gaps at the corners or junctions or pulls loose. I read about someone using silicone to make a seal. They put down a line of silicone, covered it with wax paper and then closed the lid to attempt to make a form fitted gasket.
I am open for ideas and suggestions.
RDW
I have heard that and have seen it done, not on a fridge lid but other applications and it seemed to work.

However, what is the lid and the contact area made of. If fiberglass I am a bit nervous about using silicone on the glass since the silicone oils from the caulk soak into the fiberglass and it is difficult to ever get anything to stick that spot, even more silicone.

I purchased ribbed weather stripping from Home Depot with sticky back and put strips on the box and the lid. Each strip has double, parallel ribs and I glued them on so the ribs overlapped and interlocked. Made a great seal.

On the corners I cut 45 degree joints like a picture frame and have no leaks at the corners.

Checked the whole top with a handheld laser temp gauge and could find no cold spots at all.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2015, 11:15   #3

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl
Re: Lid insulation for refrigerator

We cut strips of neoprene off of an old wetsuit, and contact cemented and stapled them at the corners. It adhered wonderfully to the wood trim around the edges of the lid.

Tags
insulation, refrigerator