Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 12:44   #1

Boat: Liberty 49
Life of Gas (propane) hoses

Can anyone give me some insight into the expected life of the type of propane hoses generally fitted in US yachts? The ones I mean are the armoured hoses extending from the regulator all the way to the appliance. Do they have a limited practical life and if so how do you tell other than cracking of the surface rubber?

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 13:20   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Life of Gas (propane) hoses

Mike-
The makers of premium rubber parts (engine mounts, hoses, belts, etc.) like Goodyear, Firestone, Gates, all recommend replacing rubber parts at five years. Now, granted, they have some incentive to say that. And rubber parts in a hot engine bay in a car aren't the same as propane hoses.
But UV (none in your locker one hopes) and ozone (in the air) and plain chemical aging all affect rubber, even propane hoses, equally. If your hoses are "armored" then you have no way to inspect the rubber for cracking and chequing. Without the ability to inspect it...I guess you are left to follow the manufacturer's or your insurer's recommendations. And if there's no brand name on it, sourced from some generic company? Toss it sooner. There's a lot of cheating in the no-name "rubbers" business, they often don't age well.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 16:17   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It turns out that the armored hose we bought in Oz lasts 3 yrs. before rubber degradation: the other hose lasts longer.

Go figure!

Ann
Old 08-03-2018, 18:32   #4

Boat: Currently in between

Ann, I am surprised you're surprised! That kind of thing is the story of my life.
Old 08-03-2018, 19:45   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Propane itself is destructive to rubber and most other elastomers. Propane hoses have a barrier layer, usually nylon, but it is not 100% effective.

I'm replacing the propane hoses on my RV this year. They are nine years old. I would think ten years on the outside as a maximum, if there are no exterior signs of damage.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 23:37   #6

Boat: Liberty 49

Hmm. Time for a change then. Thanks to all who have responded.

Mike
captmikecoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 00:46   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Ann, I am surprised you're surprised! That kind of thing is the story of my life.
Not surprised, more disgusted. I remember when throw away stuff was good for 20+ yrs., so I have a problem with a 3 yr. lifespan. I see that sometimes that mine might be impossible to attain goals, but...there's all that other experience......

Imho, there's too much planned obsolescence these days, and the previous decades griping about it pale into insignificance compared to what people are being forced to accept today. To me, reprehensible.

Ann
Old 09-03-2018, 02:03   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
... Imho, there's too much planned obsolescence these days, and the previous decades griping about it pale into insignificance compared to what people are being forced to accept today. To me, reprehensible.
Ann
One might recall The Phoebus Cartel - the Kings of planned obsolescence:
Established in the 1920s, light bulb manufacturers like Philips, General Electric, Osram and others across the globe decided to collude in the light bulb market. As technological advances improved and pushed out the life span of incandescent bulbs, sales volumes would be negatively impacted. Fewer, infrequently burnt out bulbs meant less need for replacements – less demand for their products. While price fixing was a natural result of cooperation in an imperfectly competitive market, the Phoebus cartel strived to do more than hike prices. They went beyond limiting product innovation – over the gradual course of a few years, manufacturers actively lowered the life span of light bulbs. The industry standard of 2,500 hours in 1924 would eventually drop to 1,000 hours by 1940. Light bulbs were deliberately made more fragile, and competitors would be closely monitored (and if necessary, fined) to ensure strict adherence to product degradation. The Phoebus cartel would eventually dissolve due to increased external competition and the disruptions of World War II, but it had successfully demonstrated a very important point. Stifling innovation and product quality was a feasible means of sustaining consistent consumption and profits.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-histo...ulb-conspiracy

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 02:47   #9

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

ISO LPG standard http://montymariner.co.uk/wp-content...PG-Systems.pdf

British LPG standard https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/med...de%20chap7.pdf

ABYC LPG standard http://oya.com/yardblog/wp-content/u...11/01/A-01.pdf

Len
Old 09-03-2018, 02:57   #10

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

https://www.calor.co.uk/media/wysiwy...ing-250913.pdf
Old 09-03-2018, 04:14   #11
CLOD

Boat: none

well my propane hoses are 17 years old and they all look fine

guess I'm going to blow up any day now
Old 09-03-2018, 08:16   #12

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
One might recall The Phoebus Cartel - the Kings of planned obsolescence:
Established in the 1920s, light bulb manufacturers like Philips, General Electric, Osram and others across the globe decided to collude in the light bulb market. As technological advances improved and pushed out the life span of incandescent bulbs, sales volumes would be negatively impacted. Fewer, infrequently burnt out bulbs meant less need for replacements – less demand for their products. While price fixing was a natural result of cooperation in an imperfectly competitive market, the Phoebus cartel strived to do more than hike prices. They went beyond limiting product innovation – over the gradual course of a few years, manufacturers actively lowered the life span of light bulbs. The industry standard of 2,500 hours in 1924 would eventually drop to 1,000 hours by 1940. Light bulbs were deliberately made more fragile, and competitors would be closely monitored (and if necessary, fined) to ensure strict adherence to product degradation. The Phoebus cartel would eventually dissolve due to increased external competition and the disruptions of World War II, but it had successfully demonstrated a very important point. Stifling innovation and product quality was a feasible means of sustaining consistent consumption and profits.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-histo...ulb-conspiracy

I think you may appreciate this:
Livermore's Centennial Light Bulb

The world's oldest, still working, light bulb at 117 years old and over 1,000,000 hours. This is of course, pre Phoebus cartel.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:58   #13

Boat: Nordic 44

I was told 10 years. At 15 I replaced them. After cutting open the old ones I could see no degradation at all. I am now on 13 years on the replacements and think I will wait to 20 - if I have the boat that long.

Salt atmosphere corrosion on the brass end fittings is probably more of an issue than the hose itself.

PS. I slit the hose lengthwise for a considerable length to come to that conclusion.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 11:07   #14

Boat: Bruce Roberts Ketch 40

Yikes.

Replacing the main propane hose from the tank on the aft deck ( in a box ) to the stove is an impossible nightmare as it winds and wends its way thru the secret maze of inaccessible places on my boat. Guessing length to be about 20'.
I think I will rely on my two ( redundant ) propane sensors to tell me if there is a problem.
I always turn the propane off at the tank after each use for my own peace of mind.
Besides the electronic switched shutoff in the galley.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 12:45   #15

Boat: 32 contessa

I change mine in the boat and RV every 2 years , they are cheap I use the stailess steel braid covered hoses they are not as flexable but wont shear if something hits us ( the gas in the RV is on the rear corner ) not very protected ,, we also have "GAS FUSE " Fitted ,
for $20 its a great gadget

I replace them evey 4 years

Better safe than sorry .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2018-03-10 at 7.43.31 am.png
Views:	174
Size:	276.7 KB
ID:	165853  

Tags
propane