Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2016, 17:32   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Lifting a Sailboat With a Crane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Save the heart attack for something else. I've been hauled by railway, travel lift and crane. Never a problem. If you are in a yard with a good reputation and the lift operator is sober you shouldn't have a problem.
Ha!

I remember well being in a YC bar in NZ some years ago when in the dark of night an emergency call came in: biggish motor yacht taking on water, coming into the marina for immediate lifting. The lift operator, a friend of ours, was somewhere between falling and staggering, but when he got onto his rig, somehow all became business and he did a great job of getting the boat in the slings and lifted from the water. I was glad that they decided not to cradle the boat 'till morning, though!

Sometimes experience, muscle memory and luck will overcome Demon Rum (but don't count on it!!).

Jim
Old 24-10-2016, 17:50   #17

Boat: Currently boatless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
If you use a conventional crane spreader the fore-aft lift angle and forces will be fine. BUT you will a have port-starboard crushing forces where each strap is placed. These forces need to be placed on bulkheads, that SHOULD be able to take the load.

That is why the old P&H cranes used "back in the day" all had a rectangular lifting frame. And why travel lifts are shaped like they are.

Could it work with a straight spreader? Maybe. Would I do that to my boat? No way!
I agree--rectangular spreader bars.
Old 24-10-2016, 17:54   #18

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Ha!

I remember well being in a YC bar in NZ some years ago when in the dark of night an emergency call came in: biggish motor yacht taking on water, coming into the marina for immediate lifting. The lift operator, a friend of ours, was somewhere between falling and staggering, but when he got onto his rig, somehow all became business and he did a great job of getting the boat in the slings and lifted from the water. I was glad that they decided not to cradle the boat 'till morning, though!

Sometimes experience, muscle memory and luck will overcome Demon Rum (but don't count on it!!).

Jim

Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 18:18   #19

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

You say that however two yrs ago a good friend of mine had his boat dropped and totaled in the Bahamas when a travel lift cable snapped and dropped it while liftin it out. This was two weeks before a planned haul out of my boat.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 18:41   #20

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

As stated, with spreader bar should be no problem with competent/experienced operator.
But I would caution to be sure that sling is not putting any pressure on shrouds.
Our yard lifts boat up to around 32'/10,000 lbs with a crane....had a problem with chainplates leaking...repaired them but would reoccured in following years.
Sure enough even with the spreader bar slings were just pinching the shrouds.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 19:31   #21

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I've used travel lifts, rail and cranes to life our boats. Mast up and down. My preference is a good travel lift, but all systems can work fine.

For crane lifts, spreader bars are essential for heavy boats. Position straps along bulkheads if you can.

Think about where the straps are going to contact the deck. If stanchions run to the edge you may have avoid them, or even slacken the lifelines.

Make sure you position the straps properly to balance the weight. Avoid all underbody structures (tranducers, shaft, prop, fin keel, etc).

Be very aware of strap length. You need to come up parallel to water line. You don't want the bow or stern to be angled when coming out. With our full-keeler we have to use extenders on the aft strap to maintain balance.

I always tie off the straps so they can't slide fore or aft. Loop stout lines around the straps and cleat off.
Good points Mike, but by parallel , you can create issues I think.
Travelifts have different options of mechanical operation. Some can operate each corner individually.
Parallel water to waterline ok. But if ground is running downhill or uphill in a yard, that's invitation to chaos. Level to waterline is proper I believe.
You can tell a good operator when your boat never sways.
Cranes lifting boats is great entertainment as zee says.
To the op , don't hire a rookie, unless you see his insurance policy and call that insurance company for actual coverage enforced. Don't be afraid to physically check their equipment personally. Crane operators need certification in many states, along with regulations on the crane and cables and slings. I know many marinas and yards slip thru the cracks in that respect.
I have a friend who had a leg taken off when a cable snapped in a shipyard while moving a ship section. Kaka happens !
Lifting with a crane, Demast the boat or invite headaches.
Spreaders , and slings on bulkheads as mentioned is important.

I like the railways for big boats. Even better are dry docks, you know the sinking barges that refloat, sometimes on rails.

The video simply re-enforces the idea of what can go wrong
Kinda like sitting at the boat launch on Saturday with your cooler and lounge chairs and your camera phone...
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 06:05   #22

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

I suspect your priorities are misplaced. Yes, you might save some money by hiring a crane but I suspect a few hundred at best. In return you will have a crew with little or no knowledge of lifting boats therefore a very real possibility of substantial damage. After they lift it, do you have the knowledge and equipment to stand it?
If money is tight, wait until you can afford a real yard. It is the safest way!
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift, sail, sailboat